What's new

Axioms gone, now what?? (1 Viewer)

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
I posted last week about my experience with M3ti's and am sorry to report that I've decided to return them. With the old Bose 301s back temporarily, I really want new speakers!! The M3s are so much better, but overall the Axiom sound just wasn't for me.

So I'm still in the hunt for new bookshelf speakers. I'm rethinking Paradigm and Monitor Audio and would like to see what JBL has to offer, as they seem to have a lot of support on this and other forums. I'll get matching surrounds and center once I find a front pair I like enough.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Check out the Cambridge Soundworks M50 and M60. Beautiful, real wood veneer, and a more forgiving sound than the Axioms. 45 day MBG and much cheaper to send back than the Axioms.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I just demoed the Paradigm 100's / 60's and 11's.
There is a $700 price difference on the 100's and 60's. Is it worth it....not sure but I could tell you I could hear a difference between the 2.
The 11's sounded great also if you can't drop the money on the 100's.
I also listened to some Monitor Audio speakers. They sounded great but were a tad bright.....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At this price point, I'd suggest the Mordaunt Short MS902 or 912. Excellent speakers for the $$. Find a dealer in your area and give them a listen.

Next would be the NHT SB2 or SB3. Decent prices can be found at www.AC4L.com and sometimes the 902/912s show up there as well.

Paradigm Studio 20s are quite a bit more than this price range, but are worth a listen too.

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Have you ruled out the Ascend CBM-170? From what I have read, they offer a similar sound to the M3's. I have heard the Axiom M22's, and found they could be harsh when the volume levels were pushed. I don't have this problem with the 170's.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'll second Ascend Acoustics CBM-170. They knocked my Paradigm Mini-Monitors out of my house and can hold their own against Studio 20s.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
John -- thanks for the suggestions, I've been thinking about NHT as well. I have an NAD receiver and heard they were a good match. The return policy at that site seems very fair, have you purchased from them?

Johnny -- The M3s become unpleasant at -20 dB and get worse as the volume goes higher. They lost a little clarity too. Do you listen to 2-channel music on the Ascends, w/o the subwoofer? That's my preference.

I had a short audition with Boston VRM60s a while ago, and from what little I remember they were awesome with NAD. But at $1K a bit steep!

The Monitor Audio speakers I'd heard were the Bronze B2s. I'd need to try a wider range of material to check for brightness, but I liked them when I heard them.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jerry,
Try out the new Polk RTI series. With their silk dome tweeter they won't sound anything like the others mentioned(maybe the Ascends I don't know for certain).

They were my 2nd choice behind the Phase Tech Velocity's I'm buying(10 yr warranty but maybe over your budget). You might swing by Phase Tech's Website and see if there is a dealer near you.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What are you driving these speakers with? I ran the M3Tis with my Marantz 6200 at the time, and while they sounded slightly brighter than the speakers we were comparing them to, Paradigm's v2 Mini Monitors (no sub), they never broke up, even at elevated levels. They were good, but still not quite what I was looking for either.

I am running my 902s without a sub in my bedroom, and I am very happy with them. Powered by a Marantz PM7000.

Yes, I have purchased from AC4L. Fast delivery and they kept me well informed about my order, and a friend of mine had the same results. I have no problem recommending them.

I'll have to throw in GR Research A/V-1s as well. The price for a completely assembled pair may be more than you are looking at, but they are very fine speakers. I chose my A/V-2s because they are simply great with music.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I have an NAD T762.

In last week's thread, someone posted a link to an article on the Axiom site about room acoustics and the affect of things like window treatments, rugs, etc.

It was helpful, but not all of the fixes that I would need to make to my apartment are that easy. I need window treatments and could use an area rug in the dining room, which is next to the living room, no separation between the 2. The rug might be expensive, I'd need one about 8' x 10'. I've been going back and forth on whether I even want one at all for a while now. Window treatments are easy.

My first (incorrect?) choice for placing the speakers is on top of a wall unit, which is about 6' high. I believe the ceilings are 8'-9' high. I did try putting them lower, but it didn't help all that much. Room size and furniture placement make it hard to get floorstanders or bookshelves on stands. The right speaker would be tucked into a corner and the left would be in a slightly more open spot, but it might actually have to be placed in the dining room. Both would have to be angled into the primary listening position.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think I'd make some sincere efforts to find a local place that has a money back guarantee and try auditioning those in your home. Before I went the route of internet only speakers and then run the very real risk of being out s/h, try posting in speakers or on one of the forums specific to the brand you're looking for to see if anyone in your area has a set that they'd be willing to let you come over and listen. If you happen to find someone, bring the pizza and be a sport about it. After all, you're in Brooklyn and you must know where Spumoni Gardens is on Avenue X, right?

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
JerryMa,

I run my 170's with a sub, I have a full Ascend HT setup. I mentioned them because they are about the same price and size as the M3's you had. This thread from the Ascend forum may interest you. I also thought the frequency response of both speakers was close, but since you are not running a sub, you may want to look at something with a little more low end extension. I have read some good things about the B2's you have already auditioned and the NHT SB2's and SB3's. All 3 of these extend lower than the Ascends and Axioms mentioned and might be a better choice running without a sub. Good luck with your search.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
www.audioenvy.com may allow you to find Swans and Rockets for private auditions in your area.

The JBLs mentioned by Angelo, as well as the S26II, have very good bass response, for use without a sub, but as he notes, they are becoming scarce.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, all of you, for the input on speakers. I certainly didn't expect all of this info and am now better armed to conduct my shopping!

Based on your various recommendations I'm going to consider the MAs, NHTs, and JBLs, as they seem to have better bass extension without a sub. Paradigm and Polk models are also in the running. I might add a sub at a later date, mainly for movies.

I'd like to audition as many candidates as possible at brick-and-mortar stores that also sell NAD receivers, especially if I can't do in-home auditioning. Some of the others will be ordered online but those retailers have return policies that are pretty hassle-free. I've called one b&m in NYC and they told me they have a restocking fee if the box is opened. I'll call a few more to see what their policies are. I saw some JBLs at Best Buy yesterday, and I know J&R and B&H Photo sell them as well, so I'll look into those S38s and S26s. What about the models with "N" in the number? Is that the infamous "Northridge" series I've read about?

Chu Gai: Spumoni Gardens? Outdoor seating, usually pretty packed, especially in the summer? Makes incredible pizza but doesn't deliver? Nah, never heard of it....;-)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's a pity Jerry. Sausage & peppers heros aren't too bad either. Personally, I wouldn't be in too much of a rush and I'd try real hard to get them into my own home for a listen. Those store demos are pretty horrendous.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Chu Gai:

Yes, I'm going to be a little more patient and take time to listen a bit. I agree that in-stores are tough. Every listening room is different, and its no substitute at all for how it'll sound at home.

Its been a while since I had SG's pizza, and I can't remember the last time I was even in there. Shame on me, I'm in Bensonhurst!!

PatrickDT

Grip
For the price, I really enjoy the Klipsch SB-2s... They are 299 a pair, I believe, and have a single 61/2, and the horn tweeter. They are between the SB-1s, which are too bright, and the SB-3s, which are too bass heavy, both in my opinion, but those are darn good for what you pay for them.

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
Tony
Have you heard the CSW M80s? I was thinking of moving my Newton MC 300s to the back surrounds, leaving one as the center and using two M80s as front L/R. I'm not sure if they are timbre matched though

You can view the speakers at hifi.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks