What's new

Axioms gone, now what?? (1 Viewer)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Chris:

No have not. Speaking of timbre match, I had an MC500 coupled with some T500s and thought the timbre match was poor (very odd since they have the exact same drivers and suppposedly the same crossover) so I switched it out to an MC400 which amazingly works better. I'm now thinking of doing MC400s all around, as they really sound quite good. CSW really does have some excellent audition/return policies, so I would definitely give the 80s a shot.

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
Tony
I may try the M80s up front as you are right - they have an excellent return policy so it doesn't hurt to try. Was also thinking of stepping up to MC400s up front and moving the 300s to the back in a 6.1 set up
Are you using a CSW sub??

GregBe

Second Unit
Chris,

I recently had MC300's for L/C/R. I listened to the CSW bookshelves extensively and liked their much fuller sound to the MC300's. I was able to trade all three in for full value. I really liked the M50's over the M60's. The manager in one of the stores (who had been working for them for something like 10 years) was really pushing me towards the M50's. That really said something to me since they were cheaper than the M60's. What he said, and my ears confirmed that the M50's were designed to be more flat and neutral. To my ears they sounded more natural, while the M60's at first listen sounded clearer, but after a while sounded a bit fatiguing. I did listen to the M80's quite a bit and they sounded great, but they were a little big for me. I have their p500 sub, and we were able to integrate it perfectly with the M50's. That combo sounded almost as good as anything in the store.
BTW, I went with the MC400 for the center, and to my ears it was the best blend with any of the bookshelves.

Good luck
Greg

Cliff*L

Auditioning
I would have to recommend the Ascend CBM-170s as well. They replaced my much brighter Monitor Audio Silver 5s. These are just about right. Another thing; the 170s can play quite loud in my 13x22 room, without harshness or compression. Very nice.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, so many votes for the CBM-170s. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the MA Bronze B2 (based previous audition and reviews) and the NHT SB-2 (based on reviews and able to get low- or no-cost in-home audition).

My preference is to listen to music in 2-channel stereo. I'm not getting a subwoofer yet, so I'll have 5.0 for a while. I'll add a sub later for movies.

What's the general consensus on the CBM-170s for listening w/o a sub? JohnnyCasaba posted earlier that he uses a sub with his set-up and recommended the MAs, NHTs, and JBL for the kind of listening I prefer. He also indicated that the CBMs might sound similar to the M3s I'm returning so I wonder if an in-home is worthwhile. I know I'm asking a lot of bookshelves, but I also feel like I'm close to getting something I'll like from the narrow field I'm evaluating.

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
JerryMa,

Did u read any of the thread I posted? The original poster had the M3's and CBM-170's in house to A-B, while it seems they are similar, there are differences to his ears. One thing to note from his posts, "I did try some higher level listening last night and found that I could not drive the M3s as high as the 170s. Much above 85-90 dB (depending on the source) and the M3s got unlistenable (harsh and compressed), in my opinion."

From reading your posts about the M3's, you seemed to like them but could not listen to them for long periods of time. I don't have this problem with the 170's.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The M80s are quite large, and a little boomy when I listened to them. I liked the M60s, but I have not tried them out in my system. M50s do not have the extension of the M60s, but they probably would be similar to Atoms vs Titans - the smaller driver loses some depth, but gains in clarity because it is covering a narrower frequency range and are capable of doing it more effectively. I like both the M50 and M60s, but without a sub, I'd opt for the M60s. With a good sub, the 50s are likely more than enough. Even for surrounds, I prefer something that is effective to around 50Hz.

I still have not broken down and gotten a pair of 170s in my place to listen to.

With what amplification? That can make a difference. I had no problem driving the M3s to near extreme levels without audible compression. The 170s don't break up, but they don't go quite as low either, though I have not tried them out in my system.

Mike Carter

Agent
Seriously, take your favorite CD and visit your local hi-end music store either a pro high end independant, Sam Ash or Guitar Center and listen to all there near field studio monitors. They range from $199 to$1600 a pair.
Samson
Event
Genelec
Dynaudio
Tanoy
JBL
M-Audio
Mackie
These speakers are very accurate. Welcome to the Pro world!

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
John,

I believe the person that quote is from is using an NAD T742 AVR, at least according to his earlier posts. While I have not heard the M3, I have heard the M22's being powered by an Onkyo 600 and Pioneer 45tx, and in my opinion, I also thought they were harsh on certain material when volume levels were pushed.

Cliff*L

Auditioning
Soundstage reports half of CBM owners are happy listening without a sub. I happen to prefer a sub; however I could get by without one temporarily. For an HT set-up you would definitely want to add one at some point.

I would contact the Ascend owner in your area; they're definitely worth a listen.

Brandon Pop

Stunt Coordinator
JerryMa, before you give the go ahead to the NHT SB2's I'd strongly recommend you listen to Paradigm Mini Monitors, head to head in an A-B comparison, there was no doubt in my mind and ears that the Mini's were the better speaker. I have never heard the CMB 170's, so I could not say, but the Paradigms for sure over the more expensive NHT's.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
MikeL has already mentioned the ELT's from av123 but you might also want to consider the Rocket 150's or 250's. Again, check audioenvy for an audition near you.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Dont know your price range but check the Home Theater Direct Level 3 and 4 bookshelves. I auditioned both and they sound superb. Good bass, not bright but balanced and very detailed. Thats my opinion and I am no expert though. :)
Regards

Jerry,

I know that Pinnacle is not at all popular amongst this forum. But let me tell you, they are an amazing sounding speaker for the buck. In some ways I would say they are the SVS in the bookshelf speaker arena. That is a lot of performance for not alot of money. The vocals come through with such prescence and clarity, that if you closed your eyes, you would sware the artist is in the room with you. And they even deliver surprising bass extension via the Diaduct porting technology employed by Pinnacle. I was so impressed that I purchased a pair of their Pinnacle BD1000's, and couldn't be happier. The BD1000's are floor standing speakers, but their bookshelf versions employ the same drivers, and sound incredible. Check out their web sight at www.pinnaclespeakers.com

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I have owned a number of Paradigm speakers, including Minis, and I'd have to disagree. The SB2s lack the bass of the Minis (SB3s go lower than the Minis), but they are FAR more accurate for music. The NHTs are more expensive because the cabinets are MUCH nicer than the Minis. The M3s were also cleaner in the midrange, but again lacked the same bass as the Minis.

Brandon Pop

Stunt Coordinator
John Garcia

I guess it depends what is powering the speakers that would make a difference in the way the 2 speakers sound. I have a denon avr 1804, not real powerful but adequate for many of the speakers I auditioned. And an A-B comparison between the $400/pair SB2's and $370/pair Mini's both at home and at the store which was powering them with an expensive sound processor the Mini's sounded better to me and various people who listened to them with me, including the dealer. He was trying to sell me a cheaper speaker! As far as the cabinets go I did like the high gloss finish of the sb2's and the overall build quality moreso than that of the Paradigm's, but I was more interested in how it played in my system than that.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Just one persons opinion here but I have had a top of the line NHT system with their dual subs for the last four years. Yes there have been changes since then but going into my local store I did not hear many differences playing both movies and my favorite CD's for about 2 hours or uninterupted listening. Anyway.. I decided to try the Rockets 750/200/300 package and get an SVS PB2+ sub to take the place of duals. No compairison. I will be keeping these speakers at least until AV123 comes out with their ultra sub which I will have to try out against the SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks