Second Unit
Millennia M22ti (Front L/R)
VP100 Center (Center)
M2i Bookshelf Speaker (Rear L/R)

OR

Paradigm Mini Monitor (Front L/R)
Paradigm CC-370 (Center)
Paradigm Mini Monitor (Rear L/R)

Both are almost identical in price. Which would be better for 50/50 application? Thanks!

Cooper_B

Agent
Hi Arthur,

I have owned a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors, v.1, for about 1.5 years now. I recently got a pair of Axiom M22's with the hope that it would be a big upgrade. Let me tell you that there is no comparison between these two speakers. Of course I'm sure the new version 3 mini monitors are better than mine, but they're also more expensive.

The M22s have an outstanding midrange. In comparison, it sounds like the Mini Monitors were distorting a lot at high volumes. Definitely not as clear at low volumes, either, as I can watch TV at a much lower volume while still understanding the speech on the Axioms.

The M22s are more neutral, especially in the treble. My Mini Monitors seem to have a lot of emphasis around the lower treble region, which made them a little fatiguing with treble-laden pop CDs and the like. People on the Axiom boards say the M22s are bright, but after 50 hours of solid break-in, I found the M22's to be extremely neutral. I would not call them bright.

The M22s provide less bass, but this means a better blend with a sub. They don't go quite as low as the Mini Monitors, but I think the Paradigms also had a bit of boost in the upper bass, which is not desirable if you want neutrality. The M22s are more sensitive, so they require less amplification to get loud. They handle more power as well (they claim 200W vs. 100W on my Mini Monitors).

Oh, and the Axioms are better looking. I got the Boston Cherry, and the finish is indeed very smooth and high quality. I personally like the fact that they have the finish on the front face, and the aluminum woofers are cool.

In summary, I'd guess that the M22s are probably similar or a little behind the Paradigm Studio 20s or 40s, performance-wise. The M22s weigh about the same as the Mini Monitors, which makes them something like half the weight of the Paradigm Studios; so the Paradigms more solidly built.

I haven't heard the M2s or the VP100. I hear the VP100 is great, but the M2's are not as good as the M22's. The M3's might be a better match, despite the different woofer; check out Axiom's bboards.

Have fun!

-Cooper

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Thanks Cooper, what do you think about doing M3Ti all around seeing you can buy single speakers through Axiom?

keir

Stunt Coordinator
the newer m2i (not m2ti) is actually pretty close to the m22ti. its the same speaker except for size and it lacks the extra midrange driver. the soundstage reviewer actually put the m2i ahead of the m3ti. i think it would make good surround and be an excellent match to the m22ti.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
hmmm Keir, do you have a link to this review? The 5 ch. setup of the M3Ti's is almost half the price that of the other setup! But if the new M2i is that much better...

keir

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/axiom_m2i.htm

I don't know if it will be an issue for you, but keep in mind that the magnetic shielding on the axiom bookshelf speakers isn't as good as that on their centers. I myself do use an m2i for a center channel (and left/right), but it caused problems when I had it on top of my 36 inch tube tv. I opted to put it directly under the tv instead and that works fine. I could set the m2i right on top of my old 27 inch without any problem, but the larger tubes seem to be more strongly affected by magnets, and if i wanted to put it on top of my 36 inch I would have to raise it about 5 or 6 inches to prevent interferance.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
hmmm, there will be a good sub paired up with these...

So now should I go with the original plan of the 22's, center, and m2i's for rear?

ArthurJ

Second Unit
well well well, after doing some extensive reading and browsing the Axiom boards hours on end, along with pro reviews and customer reviews this is the conclusion I have come too...

The M22Ti's are one of Axioms highest regarded speakers.
The VP150 is well worth the extra $185.
There QS surrounds are supposed to be absolutly FANTASTIC for the price.

The M22Ti's matched with a good sub will supposedly rival anything 5 times it's price point. (including price of sub)

With that said my front stage is definitly going to consist of the M22Ti's and the VP150. I am more then likely going with a QS (although further information is to be required at this point) I am still debating between the QS8 and the M2i for rear duty!

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
i absolutely love my qs4 on surround duty. but since you're talking about the qs8, then id have to say go for them (my uncle ordered an axiom HT which included the qs8 and i must say that the additional price over the qs4 is justified). because of their quadpole design, the qs series works well if space is limited. i have to put my qs4s about a foot and a half behind me, and they still sound great. however, if space isnt a concern, and money is, then by all means, get the m2i. if you set them up properly, then they should be able to produce a convincing surround effect.

my front sound stage is made up of the m22s and the vp150. blends very well together, and integrates seamlessly with my diy ebs aligned tempest.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I was cringing in my seat when I read you had considered using the M3's all the way around.

After reading further, I am glad you studied the Axiom forum and came away with an improved decision.

I suggest going with either the QS4 or QS8 for surrounds.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Mike_gr, thanks for your input...however can you elaborate as to why your were cringing? :D just curious...

Cooper_B

Agent
In terms of performance, again I'd compare Axiom to speakers in Paradigm's Reference Studio line. For the center channel, a lot of people seem to go for the VP150, though I really don't think it's necessary unless you have a big room. I mean that is a huge speaker, and you might be better off investing the money in source equipment or amplifiers, especially if you listen to a lot of music.

The QS surrounds should be great for movies, but bipole / dipole speakers are not technically appropriate for music listening. In other words, SACD, and I believe DVD-audio as well, is designed to be listened to over conventional surround speakers. So it all comes down to where you place your priorities. I've stayed stereo for the time being, so I don't have to worry about these trade-offs just yet.

-Cooper

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I'm with Cooper on this.

I did extensive comparisons between Paradigms and my Ascend Acoustics, up to the Paradigm Studio 40v2, and purchased the Ascends.

I have also gotten the chance to compare my Ascend CBM-170's to Axioms M22's. A very good comparison that boils down to tastes. I still prefer my Ascends, but the Axiom is a very nice speaker, and also compares well with the Paradigms (not sure I would say better than anything at 5 times the price though). I had the Ascends, Axioms, Rocket RS150's, and Aperion 522d's all in my home at the same time.

I am also venturing into the world of DVD-A's and SACD's. If these are on your horizon, I would think twice about using multipoles as your surrounds. Not to say that they wouldn't work, but there would be trade-offs.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
The reason I like the multipoles is...

1) I only listen to music in 2 ch. Sure I have a couple concert DVD's. Otherwise my multi-channel listening is strictly for movies.

2) I like there flexibility of placement.

3) I have heard amazing reviews on them.

Am I wrong?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
There really is not a right or wrong. If you do not think you are going to to get into DVD-A or SACD, then I wouldn't worry.

David Head

Second Unit
I have the QS8s (along with M60, VP150 and an SVS 20-39 PCi) and find they work VERY well for multi-channel music. I have a Denon DVD-2900 with almost 50 DVD-A and SACD discs. I've heard multi-channel music on these speaker setups:

- Magenepan MMG, MGCC1 and MGSS1
- Rocket RS750, RSC200 and RSS300
- PSB Image 3LR, 8C, and 1B
- JBL Studio S36, S-Center and S38

In my opinion, none of those speakers did as well as my Axioms with multi-channel music (or 2-channel or movies for that matter!). If you like speakers that sound more detailed instead of laid back, then you'll like the Axioms.

David

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Multi-pole speakers provide a very diffuse, "cloud" of sound, well suited to surround applications.

Wereas SACD discs have the instruments deliberately "placed" in the mix and the image you get might be a "muddy" or indistinct with multi-pole speakers.

This fact is ONE of the things that's making me take my time choosing my new setup. Don't know if I want multipole surrounds or smaller, monopole speakers. Heck, I'm still not sure what manufacturer I'm going with!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Wereas SACD discs have the instruments deliberately "placed" in the mix and the image you get might be a "muddy" or indistinct with multi-pole speakers.
The Rocket 750/200/300 configuration mentioned by David would not be well suited for multichannel music. While I think that it would be very good for HT, it is not a combination that I would recommend for multichannel music, because the RSS 300 speakers are dipoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks