What's new

Have Boston Acoustics CR, need upgrade advice (1 Viewer)

LS1 Sounds

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
Hello everyone, I'm a new member at HTF but have been lurking for a while and I also read AVS a lot. I use my system for 90% movies, 10% music (lack of time for more), but when I listen to music I'm looking for top quality sound.

I currently have a setup consisting entirely of Boston Acoustics CR series speakers. These were purchased around 1998, so they are the original CR line that gets high praise and I also enjoy the sound quality but am ready for an upgrade. On occasion, I feel that the system is a tad bright but I'm not sure how much of that is caused by the speakers vs. receiver vs. lack of room treatment. I have been a Boston Acoustics fan for many years, using their equipment both in my house and also the car. I don't have the extra cash laying around to buy an entire system, so I'm looking at an upgrade path to purchase one piece at a time to achieve best results whether they come with Boston Acoustics or another brand. I am willing to wait and purchase one piece at a time to end up with the system that I want in the end. Here is my current equipment:

AVR: ............ Yamaha RX-V995 (DD/DTS, 5x100w)
Front R/L: ...... CR8
Center .......... CR2
Surround R/L: ... CR7
Subwoofer: ...... PV700
TV: ............. Hitachi 57F59a

Should I stick with Boston Acoustics knowing that I like their sound overall, even though it's a tad bright at times? Or try something different like Ascend, Axiom, Onyx, or Paradigm? I don't want to feel like there may be something out there that's better, that I'm missing out on due to ignorance of a better product.

If I stick with Boston, my system would most likely be replaced in this order: VR12 center (used), an SVS cylinder subwoofer, VR3 mains, and then Bravo or VRX surrounds. More than likely I would continue using the RX-V995 receiver until all speakers have been replaced, then as a pre-amp while purchasing separate amplifier(s), then upgrade the receiver to a dedicated pre/pro in the end with some newer features.

What do you recommend, and do you agree with the upgrade path or recommend a different route? Thanks for the advice!

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Chad;
While the older CR line may be slightly forward/bright, your room acoustics will likely play more into this than the speakers themselves. Having said that, I'm also a fan of BA and I'm currently using a system almost identical to the one you noted you may be shooting for. I can't say I find the VR3/VR12 front soundstage to be bright at all. I would consider them detailed, but not bright by any means. I also had a pair of Bravos as surrounds at one point (selling them right now in the 'Hardware For Sale' section) and the combination of VR3s, VR12 and Bravos made a seamless transition from front to back.

If you're happy with the sound of BA, I would strongly suggest demo'ing some VR2s/VR3s in your listening environment and will likely won't find them bright if set up properly. If you're interested in the Bravos I've got, just shoot me a PM... -TD

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Chad,
I am also a big fan of BA. I was running a set of CRs (7's and 6's) in my bedroom setup. With the recent great deals on the VR60s, I upgraded my fronts and center and found it to be a big improvement. I think audioadvisor still has some great deals on these speakers.

For the sub I am using an SVS cylinder. It sounds great for music and movies and blends well with the Bostons. You can't go wrong with the SVS.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks