Paradigm vs. Axiom

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Gregory_S, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Gregory_S

Gregory_S Extra

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy my surrounds and center channel. I have narrowed my selection down to 2. Axioms QS4 and VP100 or Paradigm ADP170 and CC270. Does anyone have any feedback between the two? I have a relatively small room - about 1500 cu.ft. Thanks Greg.

2. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

What are your main speakers? It's usually best to go with speakers by the same manufacturer and from the same line if not identical.

3. Gregory_S

Gregory_S Extra

My mains are Heco Superior 800's. You're probably going...huh? I really love the way they sound, I spent a lot of money on them years ago, but they are only available now in the UK. they are a tower with 2-8" woofers, 4" mid and a titanium dome tweeter.

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

You're right[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it'll be hard to find something to match them. Can you describe the sound?

If you really like them, have you considered having two set ups? One for 2 channel with your current speakers and a separate 5.1 system. I don't know if you have room where you live, but that's what I'd try to do.

5. AlbertD

AlbertD Stunt Coordinator

It's not so important that your surrounds match your mains. If your room is not huge, as you state, then the Axiom QS4's should sound great. I used to own a pair and really like the sound. I believe that the QS4's and QS8's are outstanding speakers for surrounds. On the other hand, I also owned a VP150 (big brother of the VP100). Like you, I was trying to buy a center channel seperatly and mix it into my mains. I really had problems with the sound. The dialog was not crisp and there was just not any tonal balance with the mains I had at the time (Infinity Overture 2's) As both the Infinity and Axiom had reps as being bright I thought they would match. They didn't. I sold the VP150 within 6 months. Was my displeasure only that the VP150 did not match my mains? Maybe, but after returning it for another after a few weeks (I thought perhaps a driver was faulty) the new one they sent sounded exactly the same. Yes it didn't timber match, but the dialog issue was with the speaker.

So my opinion is go with the QS4's, buy three exact same speakers for the front if you can or at least three from the same manufacturer.