What's new

Axiom vs. Klipsch (1 Viewer)

Randy W

Auditioning
Hello everyone! I've been reading the posts here for the past month or so. Great forum with knowledgable posters. I hope you can help me out here. I'm putting together a HT system and have become interested in a couple bookshelf units- the Klipsch RB-35 and Axiom M22ti both costing about $400. Does anyone have any thoughts/listening experience with these? My HT room is 13X15. I plan on using a good quality sub- Hsu or SVS and will add the center and surrounds as soon as cash is available. I originally was set on the Klipsch but have read alot of good things about Axiom. Whichever units I go with I plan on completing the system within the same manufacturer. Klipsch appears to be an old industry standard in speakers but on the other hand I like the idea of dealing direct with the manufacturer too (Axiom). Any thoughts? and thanks in advance.

Randy

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing I can really comment on with direct experience was the klipsch rs7 surrounds vs. the axiom qs8 surrounds. I know the price difference but it was really no comparison. I would take the klipsch any day over the axiom surrounds.

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
I'd have to go the other way... I'd take the Axiom's any day over the Klipsch. Even if I was offered either one for free--I *love* the sound of the Axioms.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I am the opposite... I would take Klipsch anyday, I wouldn't trade them for anything else, except for maybe my girlfriend.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
have you heard the klipsch? you should hear them first...too bad its difficult to hear the axioms, but they do have a good return policy...

don't go by just what the boards say...the boards are good for suggestions..the boards are not necessarily good for conclusions...

for my personal suggestions...i would go listen to the klipsch, they are not for everyone...to me, they sound harsh and grating...no refinement or detail...to one of my best friends, they are the best sounding speakers he has ever heard...

in the sub $500 a pair bookshelves...as well as the two that you are already looking at, I would really look at triangle, they are $500 a pair, but I was completely amazed by them. I am not one for hype, but I figured, hey, might as well hear them, and I did and I was blown away.

I also think the NHT SB-2 are wonderful...they are inefficient though and will need a sub...

Rich

Randy W

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply guys. Took the time today to audition the complete Klipsch Reference line. My impressions were that up to and including the RF-35 line that I was less than impressed. HT did sound a tad harsh. Moving up to the RB-75 and of course the RF-7 things changed around tho. I ran these both with the RC-7 center and I was duly impressed. Can't say that for my purposes that the extra change$ needed to bring home the RF-7 was worth it over the bookshelf RB-75's. Whole problem is that to move into this line altogether is a major jump in funds needed. Maybe I shouldn't have auditioned the higher dollar RB-75's cause I really liked the sound. (the RC-7 center is fantastic too!) Any lines out there that will get me into this type of sound without mortgaging the farm? Kinda interested in the Ascend CBM-170's too as there seems to be a loyal following and are quite economical. Will I be dissapointed with these after listening to the RB-75 and RC-7? I know there are probably tradeoffs due to being in different price ranges. I kinda wonder what a couple CBM-170's and the RC-7 center would sound like. Ascend has there new 340 center available but haven't heard any talk about them yet. Any thoughts?

Randy

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
As being one of the those loyal Ascend fans, if you like the Klipsh sound, you probably will not like the Ascend sound.

The CMT-340 center is very good. Tough to beat at $298.

If you visit the Ascend Forum you may found someone local to you for an audition.

I would not mix Ascend and Klipsch.

The Axiom M22 and Ascend Acoustic CBM-170 are very close in their presentation. The M22 opting for a more detailed sound, while the CBM-170 and smoother/balanced sound. Both have very flat response curves and great clairity.

If you like Klipsch sound, and want to try internet direct, I would point you in the Axiom direction.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
I think its funny that everyone thinks that if you like the klipsch sound you won't like anything else. In fact, I like the klipsch sound and have yet to hear a speaker that I absolutely couldn't stand. I've heard many that have left me thinking "wow, is this all it can do" but never have I disliked the sound coming from a decent speaker. When I was first purchasing my klipsch setup I didn't have everything and I mixed in my older polks until I get the rest of my channels. To tell you the truth there wasn't much difference in actual sound, just output capabilities. The klipsch was able to go MUCH louder and be pushed harder without distortion. I think most people that say things along the lines of "if you like the klipsch sound you won't like this" have probably never had the chance to audition them in a properly set up environment.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Never said he wouldn't like anythingelse. I should rephrase and and say the sound is different, and that the chances are if he has heard other speakers, and still prefers the Klipsch, then that would probably hold true if he heard the Ascends.

I have heard Polks and Klipsch in the same environment, and think they sounded very different. I used to own Klipsch KG-4's, and auditioned Klipsch when I bought new speakers 17 years later. The horn tweeter I think has a distinct quality that you do not get with non-horn tweeters.

I think anybody looking for a bookshelf speaker of any cost should audition the Ascends...they are truly that good. The CBM-170 and a good sub(I go with Hsu) is truly an audiophile grade system.

Randy W

Auditioning
Curtis I took your advice and went over to the Ascend site. Learned a little more about the thoughts on the CMT340. To hear the Ascends I may have to just order a set and audition them in my home and then send them back if I'm not interested. I'd like to know what's the deal on the 340 L/R that everyone is talking about over there. Essentially the 340 line seems to be a dual woofer CBM170 and does a little better on the low end. Can't find anything about the L/R in the store. Wouldn't mind finding a set of these to audition too along with the 340 center.

Randy

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Randy,

The CMT-340l/r is available through Ascend via a phonecall. It is essentially the same as the center version except the tweeter is turned 90 degrees, and the crossover is changed slightly, the center version's crossover has a tweak to compensate for the baffle a TV creates when the speaker sits on top or below it.

It is a little more than a dual woofer CBM-170. It is more dynamic, more low end, and slighly more forward in its presentation.

Give Ascend a call. Very honest people over there. The 30 day trial that internet direct companies offer is a great way to demo speakers. Yes, it is a little more work, but you do everything from YOUR listening position.

Where are you located? Maybe there is someone near you that has Ascends.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis, not really directing it at you just stating that I read alot of posts where people say if you like klipsch you won't like such and such. I don't find that true at all.

Randy W

Auditioning
I live in western Iowa. If there is anyone near me willing to demo then let me know. I think giving Ascend a call would be a good idea. Hearing the units in my own HT would be the best- me thinks. The forums have been a big help. It seems everyone has a different taste in speaker sound and maybe it's alot what one is mostly exposed to and gets used to. It's easy to get caught up in the "bigger-more power-more money," thing and somewhere a fella has to decide how much is enough. This is kinda where I'm at. I appreciate the Klipsch RB-75 and the RC-7 but a complete Ascend HT can be had for just the price of the two Klipsch pieces. How they all sound will be the deciding factor.

Randy

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Randy,

Are there others speakers you have heard and liked?

I love listening to music, and my HT is a by-product of that. What I have found to be very interesting is listening to different speakers and how they present music that I like.

At home right now, I have a pair of ACI Sapphires that I am listening to, and Monday a pair of GR Research A/V-2's will be here for a few days. Both of these have great following, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to listen to them in my own home. Also been fortunate enough to be allowed by my local shop to bring in my Ascends and compare them to the Von Schweikert VR-1, and various Paradigms. Getting out and listening has just made me more aware of what I like in a speaker.

Oh well...just rambling, waiting for lunch to be ready.

Just have fun with it!

ArthurJ

Second Unit
I would take the Axioms over the Klipsch any day. The Klipsch don't have anything on them IMO. This is a quote by me a few weeks ago when a guy was asking about the Paradigm Studio 20's vs. the Axiom M22ti's.

I owned the Studio 20's. I auditioned my friend’s pair of M22Ti's many times hours on end. The sonic differences are almost impossible to differentiate IMO. However I still have a preference for the M22Ti’s because the Studio 20’s have a midbass hump at 100-200 Hz. The M22ti’s also seem to be a little smoother and have a more 3-dimensional soundstage. The M22ti’s also seem to be a little more neutral in the bass region, a lot more natural, this also helps with the assimilation of a sub. There also $500 cheaper, many have compared the M22ti’s to the 40’s and still have a preference for the Axioms. I discovered absolutely no signs of harshness or fatigue in all of my listening sessions.

If you want the most natural, neutral, bang-for-buck get the Axioms. If you want extreme loud off little power with no regards to detail, balance, or refinement by all means, the Klipsch are for you.

Randy W

Auditioning
I haven't seriously demo'd many systems yet. For the last year I've sampled about everything in the local chain electronic stores a bit- just enough to realize that most of the popular box systems are junk. My bro-in-law used to build his own speakers and amps and I'm sure they had their faults but I was always amazed how detailed and effortless they reproduced sound. I remember having conversations in his living room while these played some pretty intricate stuff and you could carry on a conversation but yet not miss out on a single detail of the recording. I think deep down that I'm searching for similiar results. In a nutshell I'm looking for faithful reproduction without making my ears bleed (or my wallet as far as that goes).

Randy

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Chris,

Your ignorant and imprudent attitude is not going to facilitate your defense for Klipsch. I have heard them on many occasions in numerous setups. Personally, I dislike there whole product line, and there quality control has gone down in the last 10 years. There sound is artificial, colored, and extremely abrasive all the way up to there reference series IMO.

IMO = In my opinion, Yes Chris, I am entitled to one just like you; if you do not like what I am saying don’t read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks