What's new

Axiom M80ti vs Klipch RF5 (1 Viewer)

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator
Axiom M80ti ($1100 / pr.)
vs
Klipch RF5 ($990 / pr.)

I like the looks of both of these speakers. That may be why I was drawn towards these two. I have basically just started looking into home theater about two weeks ago, trying to read up on all of the subjects possible.
I haven't necessarily narrowed it down to these particular speakers, just thought I would ask what people think...

1. Does anyone own either of these speakers, and what do you think?

2. Have you auditioned both sets of these speakers.

3. Any other comments on sound. Since I have not yet auditioned either of these myself yet, I am interested on what people think.

4. Would you recommend any other speakers that may sound "better" in that same price range?

Axiom Millennia M80ti Specifications:
Max Amp Power 400 Watts
Min Amp Power 10 Watts
Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz) 34-22K
Freq Resp +3dB/-9dB (Hz) 25-22K
SPL in Room 1w/1m 95 dB
Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 91 dB
Impedance 4 Ohms
Woofer Dual 6.5"
Midrange Dual 5.25"
Tweeter Dual 1"
Dimens. (in.)(HxWxD) 39.5x9.25x17
Weight 57 lbs per

Klipsch RF5 Specifications:
Maximum Input Power Rating: 600 W
RMS Power: 150 W
Satellite Min Frequency Response: 34 Hz
Satellite Max Frequency Response: 20 kHz
Maximum Nominal Impedance: 8 ohm(s)
Driver Size Dual: 8 in
Tweeter: 1 in. Titanium Dome horn
Dimens. (in.) (HxWxD)41.5x9x14.5
Weight: 60 lbs

Seth R

Auditioning
Todd,

I have owned my M80tis since last July and I am very happy with them. I didn't audition the Klipsch, so I can't say much about comparisons. Some have thought the Axioms too "bright", but I find them pleasently clear and have very good bass extention, as well. Some reviews have also pointed out that they can be sensitive to room placement, but I didn't find this to be an issue. The one thing that is without a doubt, however, is that Axiom has outstanding customer service. In all three of my Axiom orders, they have delievered the speakers within two days. On my last order (my M80tis), I ordered right before July 4th and knew that the second day was a holiday (and a friday) and thus didn't expect them until the following monday. Axiom went the extra mile, however, and without my asking (or any additional charge) they overnighted the speakers so that I would have them before the long weekend. Its hard to beat that kind of service!

Cheers,

Seth

MikeNg

Second Unit
Check the Rockets RS550's. They are on sale now, too. You can see them at av123.com.

Cheers,

Mike

ChadLB

Screenwriter
For many the Klipsch are a brighter speaker.....I can vouch for that as I don't like them.
I listened to the M80's at my house and I thought they had great depth/clarity to them. They are still on my list but I need to audition some more speakers....

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator
I do like the nice treble of the cymbal and the highs to really stand out. Everything to me seems alot more clear sounding. I also like mids to be a little more present. I find myself adjusting my equalizers mid up a little more than most people to hear them better.

So, in that case, I may like these speakers. I found a place in town that sells Paradigm. So I might go listen to those soon. I don't know if I can afford a good paradigm speaker set.

Thanks for the help all.

Peter_D

Agent
I have the Klipsch RF7's To me they sound great and not bright at all.
The Best thing to do is go listen to them and see if you like the RF5's have them set them up on the type of reciver that you have so you can get a good idea what it sounds like.
The only bad thing about the Axioms is that they are internet only and you cant go to a store to listen to them

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator
Seth R,

Which receiver do you have. I noticed the the M80s are 4 ohm speakers.

I was also looking at the Harman Kardon AVR 7200 and the Denon AVR-3805. They say in the spec the receivers are for 8 ohm speakers.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thats one thing I like about Klipsch so much.> Speakers are so easy to drive. I just returned my RF-5s for a pair of RB-75 books. I liked the 5s very much but size was a issue with me. The 5s and the 75s http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle are both very well matched with the C-7 center which I run also with the RB-35s for surround duty plus Denon. Klipsch reference are very precise and really can handle the highs that are on many dvds very well. I really enjoy them on music as well. I auditioned them on account of I was having a hard time with all my demos and a couple respected members here on the forum suggested I give the Klipsch (Reference) a try. I'm glad I finally did. I expected finger-nail chalk-board screetch! Was I ever off.

I tried the Rocket bigfoot center out you speak of and it didn't work out for me. It could of been on account of I was under powering it with my 90 watt 1804 Denon? It's a 4 ohm speaker so I cant be sure if more power was the issue or not?

Seth R

Auditioning
Todd,

I use a Denon AVR-3803, which has no trouble driving the M80s and overheating has never been an issue. In fact, the Denon is barely warm even after extended use.

Cheers,

Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks