What's new

Upgrading speakers. Here are some findings. Opinions highly encouraged. (1 Viewer)

Gene Evans

Auditioning
I posted on here a few days ago of my desire to upgrade my speakers for my home theatre.

Based on various and sundry opinions I found around the 'net...I was quite optimistic on Paradigm Phantoms for my main speakers. I auditioned them today...against Klipsch RF-15's they had at the shop.

I felt that the Paradigm's had it over Klipsch in terms of high end response...more crisp and clear.

However, the Klipsch absolutely dominated when it came to midrange and bass response...especially midrange. The high end response of the Klipsch was good enough...though...like I said...not at good as the paradigm. Therefore, Klipsch was the clear winner.

However, bass response is not a factor as I will be, in all likelihood, upgrading to a SVS 25-31+ sub, from a Audiosource SW10.

I also spoke with a rep at SVS today to get his opinons, given my situation, on the 20-39PCI vs. the 25-31+. His overall opinion was that I should probably go with the 25-31+. If I had not read about the reputation of SVS and their objetivity in recommendations...I would have been suspect given the higher cost as he leaned towards the 25-31+

I also grilled him about main speakers and my findings today...he said he likes Klipsch...but give Axiom a look...he was a fan of Axiom.

I had heard of Axiom in the past and their excellent reputation. Browsing their website it came down to the M40TI floorstanding or the M22TI. I called for a recommendation from the rep. at Axiom and explained my findings and intentions on subs. and the Klipsch today.

His opinion was that the M22TI was the way to go. He felt that it brings out the best of the Paradigm in terms of high end performance as well as the midrange of the Klipsch, though the M22TI does well in the bass dept. as well. Bass is not such an isssue considering the sub. I intend to buy. I KNOW this is from a rep. from the company...but...given the excellent reputation I have discovered about Axiom...I give the Axiom reps opinion a good deal of respect. He was familiar with SVS and had a bias towards the SVS subwoofers as well in terms of performance...he just didnt like their size.

SO! Whaddya think of my findings? I liked the Klipsch....but do I go with the Axiom? A lot of reviews found at audioreview.com back up the claims of strong mid and high range performance...which is what I feel i need.

If I go with the axiom...which is where I am leaning...i'd go with the VP150 center speaker. If you guys convince me on the Klipsch, I would go with the RC35 center.

I just get a bit uneasy about not being able to listen to the Axioms ahead of time....though I know I can always return them.

All comments and further suggestions are welcome and highly encouraged.

Whaddya think?

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

Thats the same way I feel about SVS. I really am interested in a SVS sub, proably the PB1+ or the PB2ISD. But I was very weary about buying something I havnt heard. But luckily the cofounder of SVS lives in the same town I do. So Im going to go over to his office to listen to them one day.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I agree, as I researched my purchase, the M3's and M22's were part of the equation, but I really had a hard time sticking myself out there to try them out. I have since read that they are very forward and bright, not sure that that's a bad thing, just not sure that it's for me.
I'm thinking if you like the Klipsch, you'd probably like Axiom. do a search on a recent post about the vp 150 though, someone said they thought it was kind of bland and "midrangy"

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
You should look at the Paradigm Monitor 7s. The Monitor series is quite a bit better overall than the Performance series. But it might be a little bit more expensive. Most people say that the Axiom speakers are very comparable to the Monitior line, but at the prices of the Performance line. So Axiom may be your best bet.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would also suggest you audition the Paradigm Monitor 7s. IMO,the version 3s of this speaker have addressed the mid-range and bass response. Give them a listen before you go to another brand.

Have you auditioned PSB. They are similar to Paradigm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks