What's new

Axiom m80ti or... (1 Viewer)

BrianDiP

Grip
Hi folks,

I purchased a new Sony DA4ES Receiver this week and now I'm down to the speakers. I am going to start with the towers. I have looked at a few speakers locally and the ones that interest me are the Energy C-9 and the Paradigm Monitor 11. I also have been looking at some of the mail order companies and Axiom also seems to fit the bill. My one question about the Axioms is will the Sony be able to power the Axiom m80ti towers well or should I stick to one of the other brands I was looking at? I am looking to spend

MichaelRS

Auditioning
Brian,

I just ordered a pair of M60ti's. I have to tell ya they were delivered in a day & a half. and they sound fantastic. I used to listen to all music in theater/hall mode on my
a/v reciever, now I am hooked on Stereo, those 2 towers sound better than my 5 JBL speakers,and provide a much more enjoyable experience. go to the axiom website. and get on their forum, get as much info as ya can. but remember the decision is yours as to what sounds good. My ears are different than yours, and not all rooms are the same. Also different recievers tend to sound differently. mY M60's are somewhat bright sounding at very high volumes. I have heard that Sony recivers are somewhat bright sounding, so you may want to look into a more laid back speaker.

FrederickR

Grip
In my opinion your best option would be the Energy C-9. Sony receiver are a bit harsh so I think it would be better with the c-9 because of the tree you said, they have the best tweeter by far. In my opinion I would class these speaker like so..

Energy Connoisseur C-9
Axiom m80ti
Then quite lower
Paradigm Monitor 11

Of course like always don't take my opinion for gold and go audition the different speaker.

Thanks

Frédérick Richard

BrianDiP

Grip
Thanks for the replies guys. I should probably look into something that my receiver will be able to handle better than the 4 ohm m80ti. Maybe the m60ti or something else locally.

Thanks again,

Brian

Brian,

I had a chance to go over to Windsor (Canada) and try out the axioms at a dealer (Future House). They had nothing to compare them to at the dealer, so I would have to say they sounded good. I spent the last 3 weeks going from dealer to dealer trying to find something that sounded good to me. One dealer carried Klipsch, Kef and Energy. I got to A/B the:

Klipsch RF-3II
Kef Q5
Energy C5

The Energy's were out the first time through the A/B cycle, they didn't sound as good as the other two. I spent about an hour listening to the Klipsch's and Kef's. My main audition CD was the Eagles - The Millennium Concert. About half way through "Take it easy" there is a Banjo in the background, most of the speakers I had auditioned could not pick up that Banjo. The only Paradigm's that could, their Ref's towers, cost $2000 a pair. But the Klipsch and Kef's did it perfectly. I would of bought the Kef's if I was only buying Mains, But I went with the Klipsch set because I wanted a 5.1 setup. The Kef's center and rears could not hold a candle the the Klipsch setup. So here's what I came home with:

Klipsch-
-RF-3II mains
-RS-3II rears
-RC-3II center

Here is what they are matched with:

-Harmon Kardon AVR 525 receiver
-DIY Dayton Titanic MKII 12" sub (awesome, a must have for any system)

Well good luck shopping, hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks