Comparison Between Axiom M80ti and Revel Concerta F12

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ruben A, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Ruben A

Ruben A Extra

I am very interested in upgrading my fron speakers and for the price I am leaning toward these 2 speakers. Since I don't have a way of auditioning either of them I am going mainly on what I have read. I am fully aware that speakers are highly personal and the listener's ears are the final judge as to sound quality but I would greatly appreciate it if any of you whom either have one of these speakers or has had the opportunity at some point to hear both of them to give me an opinion. I would greatly appreciate your response. Thanks.

biomaicheasia likes this.
  2. Ruben A

Ruben A Extra

Anyone? Where are you Axiom and Revel owners??
    Your opinion is appreciated.

3. Guyza

Guyza Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone even heard the F12s?

Every local Revel dealer I've called doesn't have any in stock.

Curious as they look like a good value.

4. AlbertD

AlbertD Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard the Revel's you mention but I will say that IMO Revel speakers are in another class. All the Revel speakers I have heard were superb. They were also a TON of money. I put Revel with Triad and Ariel. But some may disagree.

5. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

Revel makes some fantastic speakers and it would be an insult to compare the two mfgs.

Revel has some of the most state of the art testing facilities and techniques including double blind sound tests to insure proper speaker design for the "normal" room design and subsequent room interactions.

I like Axiom but there is no comparison at any model level to Revel.

6. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

7. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

The Revel F12 is IMO, the absolute best bang for the buck full range speaker on the market today, bar none.

For what typical mid-fi mass market offerings from Polk, Klipsch, Def-Tech, Boston, JBL, Infinity, etc. cost, you can get Revels in da house![​IMG]

8. Ruben A

Ruben A Extra

Thank you all for the response. It sounds like the Revel F12 are the hands down favorite. What is strange to me is how close in price they are and how much better regarded the Revel is to the Axiom. I always thought that within a certain price point range all things audio (receivers, amps, speakers, etc) would be roughly equal in sound and built quality. It sounds like in this case this is not true.
    Anyone here actually has had an opportunity to listed to the Revel F12's. I have not had the chance myself. Thanks again everyone.

9. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

The only Revel I have listened to personally is the F52 so comparing it to the F12 would not be completely fair but here is a link that will help explain the science of speaker testing and why proper placement is critical to get the most from your speakers. Remember, not all mfgs go to these lengths or have these facilities. The Revel crossovers alone are some of the best in the industry.

http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_l...ng_evaluation/

Good Luck and enjoy!

Price: One principle is that high cost doesn't necessarily guarantee high performance. Many very expensive speakers rate poorly in unbiased listening tests.

10. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

I have heard the F12 and , indeed, a wonderful speaker. I haven't been able to compare and contrast to other offerings in my store, as we sold them off the floor , twice.

11. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

I have never heard the f12 but the axioms are fantastic speaker. They are not "Bass shy" as you put it but do have very detailed highs that stike some as bright. The bass is very good also.

12. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

If you look at the heritage of Revel and the vast facilities and resources Harman has, Revel has everything it needs to do wonderful things.

13. Guyza

Guyza Stunt Coordinator

While I agree that vast facilities can provide all a designer needs to make a great speaker, it doesn't insure a great speaker is made.

Take General Motors for example. Vast facilities, huge testing grounds, and yet still turn out low priced crap. Their higher priced stuff may be top notch (Corvette)....but their lower priced offerings are dung.

I've yet to hear the F12s and I'm trying to locate some in the NH area. I don't want the Revel name to color my thoughts going into it.

All I'm looking for is some great sounding floorstanders in the $1500 range.

14. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Guyza - yes, sometimes it works that way, sometimes it does not. Look at Toyota and Honda! Look at Lexus (Toyota).

15. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I have never heard the Revels but the Axiom's are some very nice speakers for the money. Some other speakers to look at are the new Swan's.

Parker

16. scott>c

scott>c Second Unit

I had Axiom M-60`s and my Jbl s312`s were better in a A/B comparison and my Klipsch Klf-20`s blew both away. I also had 3 others overand that was the consensus. The axioms only had the others beat in looks.