What's new

Axiom M3tis vs M22s (1 Viewer)

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
Looking for a comparo for the M3 vs M22. Dis a search w/out and did not find what I was looking for. Seems like the M22 should provide better in the mid and high end while the M3 should be a little better on the low end. Basing this solely on driver size since Freq response is the same.

Can someone who has heard both chime in on this, and for that matter how they might work in in a front/rear set-up w/M3s running the rears.

Thanks!

Marc H

Second Unit
I hear both several times a day.
The M22TiSe has a flatter frequency response over the M3TiSe and audibly more detail in the bass. The M3TiSe sounds like it's got a slight hump in the bass when heard side by side.
The M22TiSe have improved transparency too when listening in stereo. I would like to say the M22TiSe sounds faster too if that the right way to say it. It's like you can hear more of the leading edge of the sound.
Whichever you decide on, I would recommend using the identical speaker front and rear to keep the best precision to the surround imaging.

John Garn

Agent
For Marc H-
Am close to buying the M22ti's--only wondering if using one of them for the center too makes sense. Have you A-B'd this setup vs using the VP100 or VP150?
Also, how sensitive are the M22's to their electronics?
I just purchased the Sherwood Newcastle R-863--might sometime buy a good 2 channel amp for just the fronts--for my vinyl listening--have been a Sherwood fan for a number of years--nice warmth without sounding shrill. Heard Yamaha receiver on Paradigms and it was awful--tinny, dull and no life. Also, Denon on Definitives and Bostons...yuk again!
John Garn

Marc H

Second Unit
John,
The M22TiSe are actually good enough to show off what ever electronics you can throw at them. Here in our shop, I have set them up with $10,000.00CAN front ends a few times and they really shine.
I have not heard the Newcastle but have heard very nice things about the sound quality from other people.
If you go with the M22TiSe, you would be fine using the VP150Se with them. I would not suggest the VP100 with them though; you will hear a contrast between them. A single M22TiSe works great too but you have to keep it vertical. The VP150Se places the tweeters to the outside so the lateral dispersion is most impressive.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you need to keep the M22 vertical when run as a center? Is this due to the dispersion characteristic of the tweeter? I understand why things change when you get close to room boundaries, but I do not understand why the orientation affects things (assuming height etc remain constant).

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,

Sounds like a very similar comparo from the Paradigm Moniter 3 vs 5s any chance you have heard them?

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting article Marc. It essentially comes down to if you ignore room boundaries you may get different response based upon the orientation of the driver array (as opposed to dispersion specific to a driver). This will provide a good starting point for playing with my room config.

As the owner of an Axiom HT (primarily M3 based), I am truly impressed with how good these speakers are.

John Garn

Agent
For Marc H--
Thanks for the response.
Sooner or later I plan on adding a 2 channel amp for the M22's but budgetary constraints will limit me.
Assuming the Newcastle is the pre/pro, have you any recommendations for a two-channel amp in the 3 digit domain? Also, have you tried any decent tube amps on the M22s?
Berning, in the 80's, made a two channel tube amp in the @$1000 arena with @60 wpc. It was liquid, lush and incredibly transparent and detailed, particularly with a good cartridge input...ie Dynavector DV17d.
Wondering----tubes or SS on the M22's?
Thanks
John Garn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks