What's new

Awesome! Magnum P.I. Season One Coming This Summer (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
it loaded up fine for me this time. i got to see toms gorgeous mug finally lol.. looking forward to this release.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
There is just too damn much good TV coming out recently...

As such, I have had to cut back big time.

Magnum, P.I., is one of the few shows I would consider owning. It'll be interesting to see if all seasons will be released, or if it'll just be this season.

The last season of "Magnum, P.I." is still one of its best.

That was the season that featured "The Legend of the Lost Art" (as I recall) where the entire episode was basically a spoof "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Selleck even dons the fedora, leather jacket, khakis and a bull-whip in the episode.

(Note: He probably would have made an excellent Indiana Jones).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Always liked this show yet there is so much coming out that this set will have to wait.

I know, but that's life

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

He almost was. Lucas didn't want to use Harrison Ford at first, since he has already used him in American Graffiti and Star Wars. In fact, I think it was Magnum P.I. being picked up that prevented Selleck from doing the role (though he did some screen tests) and Ford got the nod.

-Lyle J.P.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
That is correct, the sad part about the whole thing is magnum was delayed awhile before they started filming. So he could of done raiders as it turned out and it would not have conflicted with his magnum schedule.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I heard on the commentary that John Hillerman said it was great working in Hawaii. :D Anyone know where this is from? HA ha.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There's some interesting Magnum news up at TVShows right now. A bonus disc will be included with the set that will include four extra episodes. Included will be the entire Magnum/Simon & Simon crossover as it originally aired. That is, the full, unaltered Magnum episode, followed by the Simon & Simon episode! I'm not completely surprised by this, as Universal has really done a good job with the two TV sets of theirs that I own: Quantum Leap has seen a restoration of the original intros to most of the episodes, and the A-Team has "next on the A-Team" segments that haven't aired in syndication that I know of. It's good to see the care they are putting into their sets.

What will this mean for the next Magnum box set, which will have the crossover episode mentioned above? Theoretically, they could include the self-contained version. It doesn't really matter since the original cut will be available. If I had to guess, I would think it might be the self-contained, or else it would seem logical for the Simon episode to be included as a bonus on the next set. Who knows, though. It really is academic. It's just amazing that the crossover has been addressed. I've seen a lot of concern about that kind of thing with other sets like Buffy and Law & Order. Universal's solved the riddle! :D

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1722

Ed_City

Agent

Agreeance.

However,the inclusion of 5th season premiere "Echoes of the Mind" concerns me slightly....

I hope it doesn't mean this is a one-off release for the Magnum series (I know others have raised concerns about the follow-up releases of all these great Uni shows - Northern Exposure, Knight Rider, etc.... also, the observation that there is only so much shelf-space in retail stores!)

Great news nonetheless....

Jim-M

Second Unit
I don't know how the inclusion of those additional episodes bodes for future season releases, but it sure makes this season 1 release pretty awesome!

MattHR

Screenwriter

Agreed. For whatever reason, if this set becomes the only one ever released, at least there are a couple of great episodes from other seasons included. It's a nice surprise to the see the "Simon & Simon" cross-over included!

This move bodes well for the upcoming "Bionic Woman" set from Universal. It had a short first season, including 5 pilot/cross-over episodes with "Six Million Dollar Man". Hopefully Universal will release these episodes as broadcast, like they appear to be doing with "Magnum".

I think it's a very smart move to include a few "special" episodes from later seasons in sets like these. It probably will attract a few more sales from non-hardcore fans. It's like getting a whole season and a few "Best of" episodes as a bonus. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff

Supporting Actor
With the inclusion of these episodes, I don't know if I'm going to buy this set or not. I only buy TV sets when all the seasons are released and to me this is a message saying that this will not happen. In fact this is sort of like a combination of a season set and a "best of" set. And I don't like "best of" DVD's!!

Jeff

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I think including these bonus episodes is great! I don't see it in any way as meaning future seasons won't be released. As with all other season sets, if it sells we'll get more, and I think this set will sell quite well!

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The Simon & Simon thing is great, although it would have made more sense on a later set. The inclusion of the other bonus episodes is pointless, unless they don't plan to release any more seasons, and I would much rather have preferred a proper reunion featurette of some sort.

Chris

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Looking very forward to Sept. 7th. This is the only other TV series that I've wanted on DVD, Friends being the other.

Can't wait!

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Any news on whether the first season will keep it's original opening theme?

I've read that for syndication it was replaced by the opening theme from seasons 2-8.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
To be honest i didn't care for the original theme. I hope it is replaced because it just doesn't seem like magnum without the classic opening theme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks