What's new

Awesome! Magnum P.I. Season One Coming This Summer (1 Viewer)

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I just read this at TVSHOWSONDVD. This is awesome. There are some awesome 80s shows this summer. I've said it before and i'll say it again. This is the best year for tv shows on DVD. I only watched this show for the first time a few years ago whgen it was on A&E but i'll derfintly get this. Who wants to bet that Miami Vice isn't far behind?

Now when can MacGyver come out? I can only hope that Paramount releases the sucsess of these shows this year and releases MacGyver really quick.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I sure hope it is season sets, I will buy every single season. This is the only show that I have been really wanting to buy on DVD since the format arrived. Good News

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yes this is great news indeed. The only downside to season one would be not having the classic theme song. I bet alot of people forget the first season had a different opening credits theme than the one we grew to love. I guess it's not really a big deal but i prefer the other theme song, nonetheless i look forward to august 31st. So many tv sets to buy this summer but hey i'm not complaining.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the alternate opening title music was only in the pilot episode.

Okay, this always bothered me, when Magnum drives the Ferrari out of the Masters Estate in the beginning, you see him stop and disengage the roof of the car and slide it to the rear. As far as I can tell, he essentially slide it off and in reality it would have slide onto the rear deck. I believe it was the intent to make it look like he it into a storage place. What do you think?

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I can't imagine it not being in season sets, so I'm not really worried about that. I'm really glad they didn't wait until the new movie comes out (is that still being made?). This is one of maybe a handful of shows on my wish list that hadn't been announced yet!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Not to split hairs, but it was kind of announced a couple of years ago in that infamous Universal TV on DVD article in Video Business. Fortunately, it's not so infamous any more, as almost everything on the list has been officially announced. Still waiting for Emergency!, which is my big show, and Dragnet.

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
The Rockford Files is the last big title from the infamous Universal nine that I'm still waiting for.

Still, great news about MagPI. BTW, the famous theme tune emerges during the course of the first season, supplanting the original one by about two-thirds through.

David

I'm not so sure about season sets. Magnum P.I. has been released in region 2 as a two-disc set, containing various episodes from various seasons. Could be Universal is issuing the same best-of set. :frowning:

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Full season sets are the standard Universal are using for their TV Product now. Thats where the sales are. All these shows will be getting released worldwide in Season sets at some point so don't worry. The futures bright. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
This is absolutely fabulous news.

Universal: first, news of a film noir set in July and now this... you keep this up and there might just be a Christmas card in it for you guys in December...:D

Now, please bring on The Rockford Files...

Herb.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I've been having the tivo pick up episodes of this lately as part of my background watching (stuff I have on when doing stuff on the computer). Amazing how well it's stood the test of time, although it's a little jarring every now and then to recognize the guest star and how young they look. Definitely a pick up for me as long as it's season sets. But man, my wallet is not happy with the tv releases this summer.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Magnum, P.I. - The Complete First Season is now up for pre-order at Amazon for $41.99 ($37.79 with STL) and $38.99 at DDD.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
There was an episode of Magnum P.I. (I don't remember what season) that started as a Magnum episode and ended on the Simon & Simon episode immediately following. In syndication it appears to have been cut down to just one episode. I wonder how this two parter will be handled on DVD?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I just did some quick checking and found that episode. It is "Ki-i's Don't Lie (1)" from season #3 the conclusion aired during simon & simon right after the magnum episode that evening.

Ed_City

Agent

Actually, the situation is a little more complicated than that.

The Magnum episode "Ki'is Don't Lie" (season 3) ended with a cliffhanger that carried onto the Simon & Simon episode "Emeralds Are Not A Girl's Best Friend" (second season premiere). However, in syndication, there is an alternate ending which wraps up the story (and nullifies the Simon & Simon ep.... the guest star goes to jail!).

What made it so confusing is that whenever A&E ran their Magnum marathons, and showed "Ki'is" and "Emeralds" back-to-back, they used the version with the alternative ending of "Ki'is", and then went right in the uncut "Emeralds" which contained a "Previously on..." segment that totally contradicts the alt "Ki'is" version!

This also happend with the Murder She Wrote/Magnum crossover...

FWIW, I think "Ki'is" is one of the finest episodes of the entire series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks