What's new

.AVI Files - No Video On New Laptop. (1 Viewer)

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I did a search but didn't find anything quite this specific...

I purchased an HP DV9000 series notebook. Windows Vista. Windows Media Player 11 built-in. I have a few.avi files that I put on this notebook. I can hear the audio just fine but there isn't any video. Shouldn't video be playing right out of the box...?? Can anyone offer me any assistance as to how I can still use WMP11 and allow me to see video and hear audio on my .avi files?

Help?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have an HP ZV5445 running WMP11 with no problems. Yours should have no trouble handling a .avi extension.

Open WMP and click Tools, Options, Devices and make sure there is a display device listed.

You could also be missing the video codec.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I definitely have the ''DISPLAY" listed in the devices....

If I'm missing the video codec... any idea where I can download this codec for WMP11?? Sorry if that's a basic question... I've never had an issue with WMP before.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
OK. I did a search for .avi codecs for windows vista and found a codec pack to install... thanks again for the assistance.

PhillJones

Second Unit
You could just download ffdshow and never give video codecs another thought.

That's my solution, it's a lot cleaner than dowloading lots of codecs or codec packs and making a quagmire of direct show filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks