What's new

Problems with new Windows 10 HD Laptop (1 Viewer)

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I just recently had to upgrade from my Windows 7 laptop to a Windows 10 laptop and I'm having problems with some of the changes.

First my old laptop was 14 inches diagonally and the new Windows 10 is also-- but the new Windows 10 laptop is a 1/2 inch shorter vertically leaving me with less screen space. It's a jarring and uncomfortable difference . My Windows 7 laptop is taller and is less rectangular in shape--they're both HP laptops.
Why did HP change the shape of their laptops to a shorter more rectangular shape? I don't have enough now to return it and get a 15 inch screen (which also has that more rectangular shape-but is at least larger)

Also the Windows 10 laptop I have is an HD laptop that makes the quality of the standard videos on You Tube and other sites look worse now--they have a pale/ glaring and less sharp look to them. Only the videos in high definition look good unlike my older Windows 7 laptop where all the videos looked better.
Is there a solution to this?
Do they make any non-HD laptops still? (the Windows 7 laptop I have-I bought in 2015 refurbished.) Did all laptops go HD now?

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you probably had an old 16/10 display and the new one is 16:9. I'm not sure HP decided so much as the productions facilities
for mass produced screens went almost exclusively to 16:9 over the last few years. I prefer the slightly taller monitors as well, but there are very few around. I'd measure the actual screen and/or see in the Display Screen what the display pixel resolution it.

I'd guess more Business laptops likely kept this and the new XPS15 apparently will have the 16/10 screen.
I'm not sure what you mean with HD, but it sounds like you're having more an issue with the graphics card than the screen itself -- hard to know without seeing or possibly it's not set up quite right. What;s the default resolution of the new screen?

It may be you need to go to a store at some point and look at several laptops playing a selected video

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Sounds like you probably had an old 16/10 display and the new one is 16:9. I'm not sure HP decided so much as the productions facilities
for mass produced screens went almost exclusively to 16:9 over the last few years. I prefer the slightly taller monitors as well, but there are very few around. I'd measure the actual screen and/or see in the Display Screen what the display pixel resolution it.

I'd guess more Business laptops likely kept this and the new XPS15 apparently will have the 16/10 screen.
I'm not sure what you mean with HD, but it sounds like you're having more an issue with the graphics card than the screen itself -- hard to know without seeing or possibly it's not set up quite right. What;s the default resolution of the new screen?

It may be you need to go to a store at some point and look at several laptops playing a selected video
Yes I just recently read up on what the different aspect ratios are for the laptops and the Windows 7 I have is a 16:10 model while the new Windows 10 I received is a 16:9 ratio. The default resolution for the Windows 10 is 1366 X 768.
I don't know which company still makes the 16:10 aspect ratio model that is affordable. Besides I already signed in to the new laptop and started using it --although I can't get used to the crunched space compared to my older one (that is starting to be unresponsive and slow).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I just measured my 2012 Dell E6420 screen. It's 16:9. And this product line was Dell's "business" line of laptops. That aspect ratio goes back a long way.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
FYI, Mac laptops have a 16:10 aspect ratio. With some of these, it appears that Apple achieved this by the less desirable route of lowering the horizontal pixel count.
  • Wintel laptop – 1600 x 900 pixels
  • 15" MacBook Pro (non-Retina, standard screen) – 1440 x 900 pixels
The advent of Retina displays has partially undone the horizontal resolution loss.
  • 15" Retina MacBook Pro – 2880 x 800 pixels
  • 16" Retina MacBook Pro – 3072 x 1920 pixels
For instance, a 16" rMBP can size text and objects as though they were on a 1792 x 1120 screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks