What's new

CD-ROM Burner... new laptop. Another question... (1 Viewer)

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I purchased a new HP DV9000 series notebook computer. I've been trying things out slowly but surely to make sure it's in working order.

I have a Toshiba HD-DVD drive with multi-DVD, CD burner, etc, etc. I tried burning a normal audio CD this evening using the pre-installed Roxio software as well as Windows Media Player 11. After a few seconds, the CD stops and there's a fairly generic error message that says... error burning to the disc... or something of that nature. I'm using the same Memorex blank CD's I've used on my other laptop. Burning the same files. The HD-DVD drive plays movies without an issue. I've not tried burning a DVD because I don't have any blank media... I checked for driver updates online and nothing came up as being available.

Any ideas on where I should go from here...? I can't believe I've had to do so much to this notebook. Shouldn't these things be good to go right out of the box...? i.e., me having to install video codecs over the weekend to get an .avi file to play.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as always.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
That's a pretty vague error, Scott. An exact word for word of the error message may help diagnose the problem.

Often times, the pre-packaged software is out of date when it hits store shelves. Try updating the Roxio software. You can also try a different brand of media. Personally, I use Sony CD-Rs and Verbatim DVD+Rs.

Have you checked Windows Update to see if there's an update available for the Toshiba drive? How about the Toshiba website? Remember, HD-DVD drives are pretty new to the PC market so I'm sure we're going to see all sorts of wonderful glitches over the next few months while they are being fine-tuned to Vista.

* Also, goto www.hp.com and type in your model number in the search field. Pick your exact model from the list and select software and driver downloads. There may be a new version of the optical drive's firmware available.

CRyan

Screenwriter
My HP laptop actually CAME with an updated driver CD for the burner. I was rudely reminded of that fact when I recently reinstalled.

And dont try things out slowly. Try them NOW before the 30 days is up so you can exchange locally. My first HP did not have functioning flashcard readers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks