What's new

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Given the total lack of response from the many people who must have seen this on Doctor Strange this weekend, I take it that I'm not the only one to be underwhelmed by the trailer. Clearly, they went more for a "Wow, look at the beauty and wonder of Pandora" vibe with this trailer than excitement and they still have seven months (and presumably two more Marvel movies) to get people interested in this movie but if it was me, I would have been focusing on the action in all the advertising. And if the effects aren't finished for the action stuff, I wouldn't have released a trailer yet.
I really enjoy Avatar and I have been excited about the sequels but, that teaser did nothing for me. Did not build up my excitement at all. The whole thing was just so mellow and calming, like it was a trailer for a nature documentary. This is the first new Avatar movie in 13 years, I was just expecting something a little more flashy.

The problem is that this trailer makes the movie look exactly like the first movie. Who gets excited for that? They have to say this is something new. I'm not sure this makes people excited to go to a theater to see it.
I actually was wondering if the first few shots were from the first movie because it looked so familiar. Is that good or bad?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oh god, “no one remembers or even likes”. Jeez does the negative attitude show. You’d think Avatar was a box office bomb. I liked the trailer. I’ll admit I’ll be seeing the movie if they only told when it started and nothing else.

I can see it now, as the sequel packs ‘em in, it’s another failure.
Let me be clear, I am not saying that "no one remembers or even likes" the original movie but that is overwhelmingly what I see in the rare times that I see people talk about Avatar at all. It's been more than 12 years since the original movie and not having the franchise get the constant sequels, spinoffs or TV shows that many other franchises get today has made it easier for everyone to forget.

My feeling on the sequel is that I'm more excited to see it than any other blockbuster in yearS. A new James Cameron movie is always a cause for celebration but I still think they need to get the public excited for this movie and this trailer did not do that. Yes, they still have 7 months and this is only a teaser and I do think the public will get there but they need (and I'm sure they will deliver) better trailers to recapture the mainstream public's interest in this series.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Since Avatar's fanbase is now largely confined to South East Asia, its not surprising to see a ho-hum reaction to a film we've had well over a decade to scream we don't want about constantly.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I guess I'm not worried, because this was the conversation in 1996/1997 and again in 2009. Because while the last decade has shown MCU dominance and an interrelated social media explosion of memes, gifs, and nonsense, I think that creates MORE viable audience interest, not less. I don't see the need for a ton of online discussion and speculation. Cameron movies come out, the nerds see them (and sometimes complain), and mainstream audiences see them and like them, and people who don't see many movies see them because they are an event.

I don't think Cameron needs to chase the MCU or SW. The only one of those movies that comparably made as much money as Avatar was Endgame, and it took the MCU a decade of cross-promotion and stakes-raising to make that happen. I made this a while back.
BOSumPicYears.jpg
It is from June 2019, so Endgame still had a little more movement in it, enough to squeak by. The blue is domestic, the orange is international, and the green represents inflation up to 2019.

Avatar 2 is going to be fine. Where was the necessary pent up enthusiasm for the first film in early 2009 to make it that big? Nowhere...it didn't matter. The movie is the product.

People went because that guy made Titanic. I imagine now they'll go because this guy made Titanic and Avatar.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
It's much too soon for the bombastic trailer. This is a teaser. He doesn't need to grab them, just let them know it's coming. There is a tremendous amount of noise between now and December 16th...the movie is 8 months away.

And if you think Disney cut this trailer themselves, you are nuts. This is the teaser JC wanted to show, to remind you of the first film and what he wants to do. I don't think the first film is erased...quite the contrary. I think a decade plus absence (no toys, no candy, no tie-ins, no TV shows, etc) will work to help it when it is released.
This. Every word of this :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Cameron needs to chase the MCU or SW.
No doubt Fox and now Disney would like to have this be another Marvel or Star Wars but I love that Cameron hasn't turned Avatar into "There's the streaming series that leads into a third trilogy of interrelated spinoff movies telling a tale on another part of the planet..." As far as I know, the only tales building on the movie have been three comic book mini-series and that's it.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Avatar 2 is going to be fine. Where was the necessary pent up enthusiasm for the first film in early 2009 to make it that big? Nowhere...it didn't matter. The movie is the product.

People went because that guy made Titanic. I imagine now they'll go because this guy made Titanic and Avatar.
Yep, the media narrative is the same around every single James Cameron movie now, and it's been proven wrong twice. Titanic and Avatar were both positioned as massive bombs before they came out, both opened relatively modestly (~$25 mil opening weekend for Titanic, and ~$70-80 mil for Avatar), and both turned into the biggest hits of all time based on word-of-mouth, repeat viewings, and audience goodwill. Disregarding this objective evidence, the media and message board naysayers continue to relentlessly and anecdotally post from their respective bubbles that "nobody" actually likes those movies.

I don't expect Way of Water to do Avengers money, but it's the only massive four quadrant release coming out this holiday season (I don't count Shazam 2 or Puss 'n Boots 2), and Disney isn't going to rush it to streaming absent a massive COVID resurgence. It's going to have free reign of screens during the historical peak period of the year for theater attendance.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney has shared a poster on their social media pages:

FSUkmp7VEAAKeEK.jpeg

Very similar in general concept to the poster for the original film from back in 2009:

6EiRUJpuoeQPghrs3YNktfnqOVh.jpg

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Trailer seems quite similar to the first movie, but can't blame Cameron for adhering to a proven formula. I was wondering it we might get a whole new civilization instead of the blue cat people again. Or a new villain instead of those unsavory humans.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Trailer seems quite similar to the first movie, but can't blame Cameron for adhering to a proven formula.
I'm not sure if we can infer from this short teaser that the movie "adheres to a proven formula." This is very light on story details. It seems clear that this trailer is supposed to tell audiences, "Hey, remember Avatar? There's a sequel coming!" As we get closer to the release date in December, we should get more of an idea of what the actual story is and how it may differ from the original. Just because it continues the story from the original doesn't mean it adheres to a formula. It could, but I don't personally see a basis to infer that just yet.

I was wondering it we might get a whole new civilization instead of the blue cat people again.
I'm not sure how what you're suggesting would function as a sequel. I think it is reasonable to expect that it focuses on Jake and Neytiri again and the characters around them because they were the center of the first film. Cameron isn't just going to throw out the world he established in the first one.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The reason it's not really celebrated is because the first one was a triumph of style over substance. It looked good with cutting edge special effects and 3D, but without a memorable script (can anyone remember a single line) or characters. The teaser for the second one looks like an animated film with more of the same. Although I was bored by the first and won't be watching the new one, I expect it will do well theatrically.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I'm not sure how what you're suggesting would function as a sequel. I think it is reasonable to expect that it focuses on Jake and Neytiri again and the characters around them because they were the center of the first film. . Cameron isn't just going to throw out the world he established in the first one.
I guess I was thinking that avatars give people to opportunity to take on any identity they want. Since Jake already helped save the Na'vi people in the first film, maybe he could switch bodies and go on to help some sort of mermaid or bird people or whatever.

Like Sam on Quantum Leap. He continues on as the lead character, but every episode he has a new avatar and is in a new place dealing with new people and problems.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I was just thrilled to see a trailer and a movie in a theatre in 3D. It was quite some time since I was able to do that.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
All I really remember is "unobtanium" and how stupid I thought that sounded when it came up in the theater. (Yes, I know it's a real thing, but it still sounded dumb in the movie, IMO.)
It's a super geeky engineering joke that predated the movie by decades. Just like the "Flux Capacitor" in Back to the Future or half of Tesla Motor's marketing buzzwords (e.g., "Ludicrous mode"). The whole joke in the movie is that an Elon Musk-type CEO at the villainous corporation would be so nerdy and arrogant as to actually name the resource "unobtanium" in homage to the long-running engineering joke.

Obviously, the joke went over a lot of people's heads.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The trailer looks amazing. I picked up the Blu ray as I haven’t seen the movie in 12 years , it looks great on the OLED wish we had the 4k . Will Cameron release one for the sequel, or original?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There should almost definitely be a 4K of the new film.

I'd expect we'll also see a 4K of the first film announced closer to the sequel's release. Seems like this is one catalog release Disney would support.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Friendly reminder that the original was shot at HD resolution and color gamut - while an upscale for a 4K disc wouldn’t surprise me, I wouldn’t expect too much more from it than the existing Blu-ray. There just isn’t any more “there” there to pull. Think about Star Wars Episodes 2 and 3 as comparable titles.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
FWIW, they also announced a theatrical rerelease of Avatar in September of this year. I assume that will shake out a 4K disc (acknowledging Josh's point above that the raw material is shot below that resolution). I think it streams on 4K on Disney+, but I'm sort of holding out for watching the Extended Edition in 4K. I'll definitely go back to a theater for either version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks