What's new

AV Receiver Multi-Zone Question (1 Viewer)

Zortster99

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hi All! Thanks for helping a newb!

Planned Setup for Great Room:
2 Definitive Technology Front/High Speakers
1 Definitive Technology Center Speaker
4 Def Tech Ceiling Speakers

I also want to run 2 speakers to my back deck from the Receiver that will support dual zone. My choice right now is the Marantz SR5013 or Yamaha RX-A780B.

Will these 7.2 receivers support my need or do I need to go to a 9.2 receiver?

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While the Yamaha will sound nice I would honestly go with the Marantz! Not only have I owned both brands and still have my old Yamaha RX-V995. I would go with the Marantz for the build quality, sound quality and connection flexibility.

So are you actually looking to run 5.1 or 7.1 or are your ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos? Ceiling speakers are not good for surrounds in my honest opinion. With the Yamaha there is no preamp out so you will have to hook the zone 2 speaker up to the receiver. The Marantz should allow you to reassign one of the amplifiers to zone 2 to wire the speaker directly and also has stereo rca preamp outputs which the Yamaha in question does not have. So with the Marantz you can run a small power amp from Emotiva for example to power your zone two speakers. So for $300 - $400 you can get a Emotiva power amp for zone 2 and the Marantz has a 12v trigger to turn the amp on and off! The Marantz is also the better choice as you loose no speakers in your configuration if your running max speakers running a power amp of the zone 2 preamp outs!

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps?page=1

This is my former Yamaha Receiver

IMG_1798a.jpg

Current

20190116_113103a.jpg

IMG_2353a.jpg

IMG_2519a.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just try to get the most out of your investment and I would go for the most receiver you can afford even if you have to wait and save up for it. You will not regret it! Nothing worse than buying a lower model then running out of connections or not having enough power. In fact I would opt to get more than you need because it is not about playing it that much louder. But having the reserve power to deal with spikes in volumes when the receiver needs to supply it. Not having enough power to run all your speakers and running the receiver into clipping is the fastest way to fry and or damage speaker components, mainly the speakers themselves. Would love an update with what you end up with and any pictures if your comfortable with posting them. Good luck and enjoy. Thank you for the kind words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks