What's new

As We Wait On Captain Blood Does Anyone Really Know How They Decided What Got The Technicolor Treatment (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Didn't know Disney did colorization too! Interesting that Orson Wells original contract for Kane saved that film from colorization! My friend u have led a interestingly life.
Disney wanted some of the earlier Micky Mouse cartoons colorised, you'd think they would be easier than a feature film, but actually they were harder, less forgiving. Because the exactness of "not coloring outside the lines" made the process slower, but still very doable!! Here's one of them - From 1929 Wild Waves -

Now many compnies are using AI tech to try and speed up the process, but with very limited success. I think as the abilites of the tech tools grow and advance, so will the success rate and the quality of the colors advance. If you want that sort of thing, LOL!!

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Disney wanted some of the earlier Micky Mouse cartoons colorised, you'd think they would be easier than a feature film, but atually they were harder, less forgiving. Because the exactness of "not coloring outside the lines" mad the process slower, but still very doable!! Here's one of them - From 1929 Wild Waves -

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
and then, 4K, LOL!!! WAC did a great job bring this classic back to life, they just need to carry on the taskes at hand...
Look at the real color of one of the great costumes Flynn wore in The Sea Hawk! And how it photogrpahed in black and white.

Attachments

• 6c43e29319ad385d8d741f0c11afad7d.jpg
    6c43e29319ad385d8d741f0c11afad7d.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 35

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Wow, that '82 laser disc was a crime against nature. It looks like an SLP off the air recording.
Entertainment Weekly apparently named it the 25th best laserdisc ever produced.

I suspect people at the time were happy to have any version in their homes.

FBF298EE-5C36-4D3D-B11C-4F881DC4EA12.jpeg

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter

View attachment 133888
EW wasn’t referring to the 1982 CBS/FOX Laserdisc. They specify the MGM release, which I didn’t track down for my comparison.

The 1991 MGM release was notable at the time for its lower MSRP of $24.99. Unfortunately, it didn’t start much of a trend for lower-priced discs. Most new titles ranged from $29.99 to $39.99 with special editions ranging from $49.99 to $124.99.

FF7DEC0C-8807-41CF-9B10-B10AEB1805AC.jpeg

The initial 1982 LaserDisc was indicative of the kind of contrasty 16mm dupes often seen on television up to that time.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

View attachment 133888
Truly a captive market...Our way of the Highway...my how times haven't changed, much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks