What's new

As We Wait On Captain Blood Does Anyone Really Know How They Decided What Got The Technicolor Treatment (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I've read that the elements for Sweethearts are problematic to make the upgrade to Blu, but who knows, look at the miracle that was performed on The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. I'd love to see both Sweethearts and Maytime get the Blu treatment from WAC.

Speaking of Technicolor, MGM had considered filming both Rose Marie (1936) and Maytime (1937) in Technicolor, but those plans were abandoned.

BTW, The Sweethearts DVD is available on Amazon for only $9.99 right now.

I think, Joel, it was the 1927 (or1928?) version of Rose Marie (with Joan Crawford) that was originally intended for two-color Technicolor and the reason it was abandoned may or may not (lol) have had something to do with the way the preponderance of snow photographed in the process? I remember reading something akin to that at some point, I think. In any event, it wasn't the classic 1936 version that was slated for color, I don't believe.

Maytime was supposed to be MGM's initial foray into three-strip Technicolor and quite a bit of color footage was shot in summer 1936 (albeit with a different director and a slightly different supporting cast.) Irving Thalberg's death in September of that year shut production down and it resumed (in black and white) with a new director, altered plot, and some different supporting actors. I don't think any of the color footage exists since we've never seen it anywhere.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I think, Joel, it was the 1927 (or1928?) version of Rose Marie (with Joan Crawford) that was originally intended for two-color Technicolor and the reason it was abandoned may or may not (lol) have had something to do with the way the preponderance of snow photographed in the process? I remember reading something akin to that at some point, I think. In any event, it wasn't the classic 1936 version that was slated for color, I don't believe.

Maytime was supposed to be MGM's initial foray into three-strip Technicolor and quite a bit of color footage was shot in summer 1936 (albeit with a different director and a slightly different supporting cast.) Irving Thalberg's death in September of that year shut production down and it resumed (in black and white) with a new director, altered plot, and some different supporting actors. I don't think any of the color footage exists since we've never seen it anywhere.
To this day I have never seen Rose Marie, is it worth a spin

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
If you listen to George Feltenstein’s IVANHOE podcast, he talks in depth about technicolor, and how it tripled the cost of a picture, as well as added a few headaches. The camera was less mobile, due in part to the blimp housing the camera. Studios had to pick and choose which films got the color treatment; usually only A-list pictures got it.

It’s a Really informative podcast, worth listening to.

Last edited:

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
To this day I have never seen Rose Marie, is it worth a spin
I'm a MacDonald/Eddy fan and think this is their best film. She's superb as a temperamental diva roughing it in the woods - and the bantering chemistry between her and hot to trot mountie Nelson Eddy is off the charts. It's almost all filmed outdoors - which gives the whole thing a fresh, invigorating kick. The "Totem Tom Tom" number, filmed - I believe - on the shores of Lake Tahoe is a marvel musically and visually. If you're going to watch just one of their pictures, this is the one I'd recommend. And - if you like it - then proceed to "The Girl of the Golden West" and the MacDonald/Allan Jones film "The Firefly", both entertainments popular in their day but now sadly under-rated.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm a MacDonald/Eddy fan and think this is their best film. She's superb as a temperamental diva roughing it in the woods - and the bantering chemistry between her and hot to trot mountie Nelson Eddy is off the charts. It's almost all filmed outdoors - which gives the whole thing a fresh, invigorating kick. The "Totem Tom Tom" number, filmed - I believe - on the shores of Lake Tahoe is a marvel musically and visually. If you're going to watch just one of their pictures, this is the one I'd recommend. And - if you like it - then proceed to "The Girl of the Golden West" and the MacDonald/Allan Jones film "The Firefly", both entertainments popular in their day but now sadly under-rated.
Will do --- thanks my friend

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If you listen to George Feltenstein’s IVANHOE podcast, he talks in depth about technicolor, and how it tripled the cost of a picture, as well as added a few headaches. The camera was less mobile, due in part to the blimp housing the camera. Studios had to pick and choose which films got the color treatment; usually only A-list pictures got it.

It’s a Really informative podcast, worth listening too.
will do - interesting how they chose though - The Sea Hawk no but Dive Bomber yes--- today which film is the one remembered

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I absolutely agree. It is their best one together. "Indian Love Call" is a wonderful song.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
WOW did not know that on those two MGM classics -- love learning film history thanks to every film historian here amazing how much we each learn here and here is the duel from The Sea Hawk! Heard Henry Daniel was a strange sort very dark and mysterious guy. GREAT actor!

Great editiong job, Henry Daniell was poking to the camera and Flynn is fighting with the fencing instructor for many of Flynns movies, but the editiong is so well done that only a few times can you tell that Flynn is not dueling to the death with Daniell, Bravo!!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt

Will, that's interesting about the Crawford Rose Marie silent film and it was released in 1928. Never knew that.

I may be wrong, but I recall reading somewhere, probably in Eleanor Knowles Dugan's exhaustively researched book The Films of Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, that Rose Marie (1936) was under consideration to be filmed in Technicolor. Unfortunately, I don't have the book any longer to research it.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Will, that's interesting about the Crawford Rose Marie silent film and it was released in 1928. Never knew that.

I may be wrong, but I recall reading somewhere, probably in Eleanor Knowles Dugan's exhaustively researched book The Films of Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, that Rose Marie (1936) was under consideration to be filmed in Technicolor. Unfortunately, I don't have the book any longer to research it.
According to imdb ---
MGM's original intention was to film in Technicolor and to star Grace Moore. If these plans had gone through, this would have been MGM's first feature-length Technicolor film.

Rose-Marie (1936) - Trivia - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt0028207/trivia

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
According to imdb ---
MGM's original intention was to film in Technicolor and to star Grace Moore. If these plans had gone through, this would have been MGM's first feature-length Technicolor film.

Rose-Marie (1936) - Trivia - IMDb

View attachment 133645

yeaahhh, but skeptical cat is still skeptical....

I'm not saying it CAN'T be true, but as Rose Marie started filming in September, 1935 that means any plans for a Grace Moore color movie had to be some time prior to that. Considering Pioneer Pictures only released Becky Sharp in June, 1935 I can't help but consider it unlikely. Unless it got no further than the "wouldn't it be cool if..." stage. I just can't bring myself to see MGM wanting to be first, before the impact of full color could even be gauged in the marketplace. I still think people are confusing it with the 1928 Rose Marie and the original plan for Maytime but that's just me.

Last edited:

Chris55

Agent
Real Name
chris
Didn't MGM still lag behind FOX with the number of Techincolor productions during the war time years
Yes, MGM were not making musicals in Technicolor up to about 1943. The only ones I can think of were "Sweethearts" (38) and "Bittersweet" (40) both, of course, Jeanette and Nelson operettas. Interesting to note that RKO, in the thirties, were considered the major studio for musicals (ala the Fred and Ginger spectaculars) and MGM really wasn't considered the major studio for such until about the middle to late forties, starting really with "Meet Me in St. Louis", albeit having the Rooney/Garland musicals and Eleanor Powell b/w ones beforehand.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yes, MGM were not making musicals in Technicolor up to about 1943. The only ones I can think of were "Sweethearts" (38) and "Bittersweet" (40) both, of course, Jeanette and Nelson operettas. Interesting to note that RKO, in the thirties, were considered the major studio for musicals (ala the Fred and Ginger spectaculars) and MGM really wasn't considered the major studio for such until about the middle to late forties, starting really with "Meet Me in St. Louis", albeit having the Rooney/Garland musicals and Eleanor Powell b/w ones beforehand.
I do not know where I heard it but for Astaire and Rogers "Carefee" there was talk of filming the routing "I Used To Be Color Blind" in color?

JimMiller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Miller
I've read that the elements for Sweethearts are problematic to make the upgrade to Blu, but who knows, look at the miracle that was performed on The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. I'd love to see both Sweethearts and Maytime get the Blu treatment from WAC.

Speaking of Technicolor, MGM had considered filming both Rose Marie (1936) and Maytime (1937) in Technicolor, but those plans were abandoned.

BTW, The Sweethearts DVD is available on Amazon for only $9.99 right now.
Maytime was started in Technicolor. A good deal of footage was shot including scenes from Tosca with MacDonald and Eddy. When Irving Thalberg died during production, shooting was stopped, the footage was scrapped, the script rewritten, John Barrymore replaced Paul Lucas, Herman Bing replaced Frank Morgan, Robert Z. Leonard replaced Edmund Goulding as director and shooting resumed in b&w to save money. For the better perhaps, as Maytime is widely regarded as McDonald and Eddy's best film.
Tosca.jpg

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Maytime was started in Technicolor. A good deal of footage was shot including scenes from Tosca with MacDonald and Eddy. When Irving Thalberg died during production, shooting was stopped, the footage was scrapped, the script rewritten, John Barrymore replaced Paul Lucas, Herman Bing replaced Frank Morgan, Robert Z. Leonard replaced Edmund Goulding as director and shooting resumed in b&w to save money. For the better perhaps, as Maytime is widely regarded as McDonald and Eddy's best film. View attachment 133679
Another one I have to see -- never saw it. Thalberg did so much in so little time - what a loss ro MGM and the movie industry. I always heard it was between Rose Marie and Maytime as THE MacDonald-Eddy extravaganzas!

Chris55

Agent
Real Name
chris
I do not know where I heard it but for Astaire and Rogers "Carefee" there was talk of filming the routing "I Used To Be Color Blind" in color?
Yes, that is true , although Ginger insisted , in her book, that the whole movie was slated to be filmed in Technicolor, but RKO, due to financing that venture, had cold feet and decided not to film it in the expensive Technicolor. Interesting to note that "The Munsters" TV series, as late as the sixties, was originally supposed to be filmed in colour, but Universal got cold feet about it as each episode would have had the cost doubled if filmed in colour, so one can just imagine how expensive it was in the thirties and forties. Also Technicolor classics like "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (38) and "The Wizard of Oz" (39) , while being very popular, lost money on their first release at the box office, due to their expense, being filmed in Technicolor.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I believe the original intent was to film the entire movie in Technicolor.
Also, thanks to Will, I'm now searching for a copy of 'Sweethearts' even though I much prefer the MacDonald/Chevalier movies (plus her one and only coupling with the wonderful Jack Buchanan).

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I believe the original intent was to film the entire movie in Technicolor.
Also, thanks to Will, I'm now searching for a copy of 'Sweethearts' even though I much prefer the MacDonald/Chevalier movies (plus her one and only coupling with the wonderful Jack Buchanan).
Thanks to Will today for telling me it was 9.99 on Amazon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks