What's new

Ark II coming Nov 7th (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am still amazed that both Ark II and Space Academy are and will be out on dvd. Kudos to BCI.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

I didnt think that Captain Power was Filmation? I just watched a tape I found at a thrift store, and I could have sworn that it was a DIC release.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

You're right, it's not Filmation. Someone just took the thread slightly off-topic to talk about another kids' live-action adventure series.

I can imagine one stumbling block for Captain Power would be all that "interactive" stuff that was sprinkled throughout the episodes, where targets blinked and you were supposed to "shoot" them with the Mattel toys (or something)...

Back on topic, though, I'm looking forward to getting my Ark II set and finally getting to see "The Lottery" episode (the one that has been pretty much "missing" in the fan community for years) and to see how Jean Marie Hon looks these days in the documentary. She definitely made the series worth watching (much like Joanna Cameron on Isis, Pam Ferdin and Maggie Cooper on Space Academy and Susan O'Hanlon on Jason of Star Command. Hmm, quite a pattern they had going at Filmation..)!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I burned through this set in 2 days. Wow, what fun to revisit after 30 years! It looks as good as the show can, and for what it is. Looks better than it did in 76 on my folks TV. It was after all pre-cable. Fun show, nice package, good price, more extras than many new shows get!
Thanks BCI!

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I haven't picked it up yet, but am looking forward to seeing it again...probably for the first time in 30 years?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I got my Ark II last night, and while I didnt have a chance to watch an episode yet, I did get through the extras. Yet again, I'm impressed by how BCI and Entertainment Rights handled the package for - lets face it - a relitivly obscure show. Between these guys and what Rhino has done for the Krofft shows, I'm in nostalga heaven.

The highlight of the disc? Strangely - the credit sequiances for all the upcoming releases. I got a giddy shiver down my spine with the Flash Gordon opening - I havent seen that in years. Same with Space Academy, Jason and Isis. It brought a charming, 70's saturday morning smile to my face.

I cant wait for the rest of these to get released.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Looked at a couple eps. A real nostalgia trip! As has been said, not a great show to begin with, but that's not why we're interested. ;)

I mainly got it for the Robby episode:

And check this out:

worst. raygun. ever.

Coming out of commercial breaks, there's a vestige of the trail end of bumper music. I would say it's too bad the bumpers were not included in the DVD, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had already been left out in the Hallmark transfers to PAL (perplexing and maddening history, that!).

Compression artifacts abound, though. Which is strange, since at four episodes a disc, they aren't jam-packed. It's that grainy footage--it needs a higher bitrate than cleaner source material would to avoid blockies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks