What's new

ARGH! Co-Workers!!! (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
With the long holiday weekend ahead of most of us, I was thinking about how much I love to just get away from the office. I had a big "to-do" with a co-worker and I'm glad to be away for several days.

I know there have been threads where we talk about annoying co-workers, but I just gotta start a topic...what is it that annoys you about your co-workers? and for the spin, what is it that you do that you think might annoy your co-workers?

The one thing that drives me up the wall is when people leave their cell phones at their desk when they're not in their office - All day, I gotta listen to their dumb-ass 'custom' ring tones and constant beeps from voice-mail notifications. :angry:

and as far as what I do that annoys people - I have control over the Heating/Cooling, and since I like it cold, I know my co-workers are always cold when they are in my area of the building. :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Heh, I suffered through that once. Someone's ringtone was Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, and much as that is a brilliant piece of music, you can only hear a shrill midi rendition of it so many times before you flip. What made it worse was that the dumbass caller didn't get the hint that the phone owner wasn't near the phone, and each time the call was disconnected, called again. The phone must have rung for something like 5 minutes nearly nonstop (between each disconnect and redial) before it finally stopped.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
He's not really a co-worker....more like a peer who holds the same position I do. His office and mine are back to back, and they're large cubicles, with no complete walls.

Anyway, he comes in every morning at 7:55, and listens to "I Can See Clearly Now the Rain is Gone". The same song. Every day. For 2 1/2 years.

Far as what I do...I listen to my voicemail messages on speakerphone so I can do other things while I listen to them.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, "I can see clearly now...", ya got to admit, there are worse songs to endure.

--
H

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Things that drive me nuts are:

1. Starting up a conversation with me about politics, and acting all offended when I give my honest opinion about something. If you want to hear your own beliefs, PLEASE record your own and play them for yourself!

2. Gossip - I really don't give a flying %$#* about who is sleeping with whom, or who is kissing the boss's behind.

3. Other people's music - I don't care if someone does not have the same taste in music as I do. After all, different strokes for different folks. But for crying out loud, keep YOUR music to YOURSELF.

4. Non-supervisory know-it-alls telling me my job. Micro manage someone else!

Things I do that drive people nuts:

1. Like Mark, I prefer cold, and I have a tendency to tell people that if THEY are so damned cold, then they should dress appropriately in cooler weather.

2. Office parties or other celebrations - I'd rather pass and sit at home. I am not what one could call a social butterfly.

3. I am usually cranky at the beginning of my day. No amount of "up" talk is going to get me out of it unless I have time to wake up.

4. Newbies will ask me a question, and I have a tendency to be brusque, because I get distracted from my own job.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Two people in my office, one male, one female, think saturating themselves in a cheap scent is a good idea.

Smokers who stand in an outside door, holding it open.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
There's a secretary who has an penchant for wearing light colored skirts where you can make out whether she's decided on a thong or g-string if you look hard enough :frowning:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

Chu, I advise you to take up some kind of engineering work, be that electrical, mechanical, or even software, you wont have that problem anymore... ;)

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That reminds me, my office is near the front door, so when a lot of co-workers need to talk to me, they'll go outside for their smoke, then they'll stop in my office on their way back upstairs - so I'm ALWAYS getting their conversations right after their smoke. They come into my office and are like "Hey Mark!!!...." as they spew their freshly smoked cigarette breath at my face. (PUKE!)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Mark, do you remember the "highlight of your life" thread?;)

I forget my cell phone is on sometimes. Worse yet, one of the great mysteries of its operation- if I put it in silent mode, apparently the "message" ringtone is not silenced (so one of the other cube rats informed me last week). Stupid company-issued Nextel phone.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

After 2 1/2 years, there are no worse songs. I'd rather she play Macarena, MMMM-Bop, or even We Built This City by Starship than to hear "I Can See Clearly..." again.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Whenever we have to break the tension in the room at work, someone starts singing "We Build This City" and it never fails to produce a laugh and a "Cut it out!"

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
and that's when I would quit ;)

My pet peeve is know-it-alls, probably because I'm one myself. Whenever someone starts talking about cars or electronics to another co-worker I have to put my ipod on because half the time they say things that are dead wrong. ie-

"My [stock automatic 3300lb.] 350z is hot sh!t because it has 300 hp"

/shoots self

Jimi C

Screenwriter
350z is only 3200lbs.

Also, it is hot shit.

I hate my new boss. Is that a pet peeve?

Joe S

Second Unit
This got me thinking of all the annoyances from previous jobs over the years. Going back to the late 80s, there was a guy who sat next to me - we were separated by a partition wall- and he would come in every morning and bring out the nail trimmers and (SNAP) (SNAP) trim his fingernails. It's a wonder he had any left to trim, but it seems like it was a daily ritual. A few years and another company later, this guy (a friend of mine who got me that job) would have sinus problems and would use the nasal spray while sitting at his desk-the noise he made was awful.

Present job- I come in early (flex time), so one Monday this woman who sits nearby comes in about five minutes after I did - her phone rings as she is approaching her desk. Of course she answers, puts on the hands-free headset and proceeds to talk loudly for the next hour.... It was too early in the morning for that , so I left the area and shot the sh*t with another engineer for a while.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I worked with a woman who was a HUGE NY Rangers fan...she had this 1 minute clip of Al Rosen calling a Ranger game where Messier made a great goal. This woman used it as her default sound!! :angry: We were in a room of about a dozen people and everytime she made a mistake, that damn sound would play and she'd sit there and listen to it with glee EVERY TIME!!!

The killer was, once the sound would go off, she'd accidentally click elsewhere, which would prompt it to play several times in a row. Every one begged her to change it, but she never did.

At one point, it was almost like a car accident. WHen it would go off, we'd all look at each other like "How can she not realize how annoying that is" - we were all in amazement. Finally we had to get management involved because it was at the point where we were all ready to strangle her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks