What's new

Are these subs ok? (1 Viewer)

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I can't spend a lot- was thinking of getting a $100 sub for now and later upgrade to an SVS or HSU later on after trying out a sub. This will be my firt sub ever! I have a height limit of 16 inches for the sub, so the SVS is out for now anyway.

The $100 sub was just to have
something in the meantime. I was thinking of the DLS 10" POWERED SUBWOOFER SYSTEM for $100 (someone here at HTF said it was pretty good
as a starter). You can find it at the partsexpress web site. Its said to have: "...a 12 dB electronic low pass filter that is continuously variable from 40 to 160 Hz. It also features a 6 dB high pass filter (125 Hz, 8 ohm) output for satellite speakers. * Frequency response: 30-160 Hz ."

One question: So how low does this go? 40Hz or 30Hz? Obviously I'm new to all this.

Another inexpensive sub I heard about was a AUDIOSOURCE SUB (15" I think) that would need some extra poly fill.

And finally I ask about this one (Which I think may be the way to go but then I hope not to upgrade at all):

The 10" TITANIC VANCE SUBWOOFER KIT from partsexpress. At $350, is this a good buy?

I know most of you will say save up and get a monster, but I want the sub NOW!

One more Q: Will prices on subs drop after christmas?

Ian J

Auditioning
My philosophy has always been that a poor subwoofer is worse than no subwoofer at all. I have never heard of any of the makes that you listed as they are not available in England but you can't get a decent subwoofer over here for less than $500.

Specs are also misleading and you shouldn't take much notice of them. One in UK claims to go down to 20Hz but what they don't tell you is that it is at -10Db.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
The DLS 10" is a very good buy, and finally just 2-days ago had a talk with Brian (owner of Rutledge audio and builder of custom high quailty subs) about the DLS. He is very experienced with subs and quailty of sound reproduction in the Bass department.

Brian was at a DIY meet in Atlanta, I belive this was were it was, and he listened the DLS-10 set up with some DIY speakers and everyone was quite impressed with this Very Low cost sub. Straight up this is not going to compete with A SVS or the like, but at it price point is very impressive. You can expect 30-hz extension easily in room corner loaded and even into the uppper 20s. The smaller the room the bigger the gain down deep.

If you are looking to spend the least amount of money and buy from someone who will stand behind their products I'd say, in your postion go for the slot loaded PE~DLS-10.
It is built by Dayton a supplier of a large amount of OEM produts in the industry. I wouls pick it up over the Sony even if you can find it at 129.00 which is the lowest I've seen the Sony sell for, less shipping. You also could get 2 if after you receive your first one and like how it performs and want more output.

If your goal, is as you said to buy now and tie you over till you can afford a real gun, this would definitly be worth consideration.

The Audio Source 15 is very BIG, but with some small mods can be made to sound quite good and will have more output than the DLS. But one AS-15 is bigger than 2 of the DLS's stacked. Wider, Taller and Deeper, so something to think about. These, the AS-15, go threw Ubid all the time for cheap but watch the shipping.

The Vance unit is a good sub! But at it's costs that extra money could be saved buy buying the DLS and put toward the real earth mover. Just some stuff to chew on.

I respect Brians opinion, and if he said it impressed many while their in Atlanta and he felt it did 30-hz to the upper 20s (and this was in a large room) where you don't get as much gain down low, I easily have no problem recommending this to you.

99.99 for a 10" without port noise and built with quailty componets also able to go down to as low as the upper 20s, (corner loaded small to med room) well you do the math. It's not going to be the spl king, but a very high performance to cost ratio!

Just my 2-cents worth
Geoff

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info guys. I love this forum!
Geoff, thanks for the perfect reply. I was also thinking of that Sony but heard it wasn't great for music. I know the DLS may not be great for music either but as I said- it's something to hold me over until I get my dream sub and/or get the time to build my DIY starter sub (which I hope will blow away most commercial subs).
My speakers only go down to about 50Hz, so I'm pretty sure the DSL will do me fine for now. Thanks again. Any other opinions out there are still welcome.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I've seen this sub a lot on Ebay. Anyone have any info it? It's the New model Dahlquist PDQ1500 500W 15" Powered Sub

I also saw a Vidsonix Home Theater 100W 10" Powered Sub
Any info on that one?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
So what happened to the plan?

I can't speak to the Dalquist, have read their pretty decent subs, but Vidsonic seen them at Ebay also but never read anything on them.

Carefully read the fine print in the Ebay adds and ask plenty of questions.

Not happy can you return????

The one thing I noticed on the Vidsonic was it's weight, (if correct) it's heavier than what would usually be seen in a cabnit that size. Could mean decent cabnit build quailty or maybe you get a brick glued in the bottom.
Proceed with caution I say.

Save for your big boy, then you will be truly happy. DIY is very rewarding to boot.

Geoff

Jose G

Supporting Actor
LOL :) The plan. Oh, how I hate to plan. Actually, that’s not completely true, but I do hate to wait! Saving for the dream sub is what I want to do, but I love the surround experience so much, and want that immediate gratification, that I think I need to spend the $100 for the DLS 10” sub. My hesitation, aside from simply not saving for the big boy, is that I question the resell value of the DLS vs. the Sony. I have no doubts that the DLS is of better quality or at least a better value as you pointed out, but I do question the resell value. The real plan, though, is to build my own. I plan to do some research at the DIY section of this forum, and if I can get started fairly soon (which I don’t really have the time for right now :frowning: ), I don’t think I would feel the need to even get a smaller sub in the interim. In the end, the plan is a tradeoff between time, energy, budget, and let’s not forget- the waf factor :angry:

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Jose, here is another sub to look at. I just ordered the Audiosource SW Fifteen from Ubid for $143 shipped. Stuffed with Polyfill this sub is said to rival alot of $300-500 subs. Might be something to look into.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Daniel

Jose said he had a max height for the sub of 16" in his first post. The AS-SW15 is huge!!

But NOW he seems to be looking at other stuff so I don't know if the 16" height thing is a hard and fast rule.

Is it Jose????
And if so why???

Placement has allot to do with a subs sound/performance when setting it up. So not knowing where the 16" spot is and also your room size and layout, you might limit yourself on getting all you can get ~{out of what ever sub you pick up}~.....

Well, guess we will wait and see what you finally decied on....

Happy hunting
Geoff

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Ooops, sorry I didnt read that part. My next suggestion would be the Sony sub (I forget the model #) that everyone talks about. I dont believe its that tall.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yeh, easy to miss that in his first post.

The AS-15 (with the mods) would definitly kick the Sony ass and also the DLS in in-room output and extension.

Mods are, cabinet reinforcement, wall deadener-can of ruberized undercoating, or roofing felt, or one of the over priced damping sheet materials you can buy, then a couple pounds poly fill. Also would seal all joints with sealer, and add closed cell foam wether striping to the driver mounting, and then check ports for a good seal and tight fit...

The Sony everyone talks about is, the Sony-xxx40- model, model # ends in 40!

Cheers
Geoff

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Daniel, I am looking into that sub but the size and placement is the issue in my small HT space. You’re right, Geoff, in that I’m looking at other stuff. I was thinking of building something using a kit or at least the parts and building my own enclosure to fit in a space 16.5"H x 34"W x 16"D. Of course it doesn't need to fit that space completely- these just the diminsions I have to work with. This seems to be the only space I can put the sub in right now, so I was thinking of small enough to fit in there (height wise) or to build a woofer(s) system long enough to fit in there. The limitations to my dimensions are pretty hard and fast because the sub needs to be under a table near the corner of my listening room. Might the “under the table” placement cause the sub to be too boomy? Will a down firing sub make a difference in this respect? An SVS sub would only fit in an already lamp occupied space and the boss doesn’t want that thing moved- actually, she doesn’y want the sub at all but that’s not a choice. Thanks for the extra mod info on the AS-15, also.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
the sony sa-wm40 is pretty popular sub you might find for $150 or so. i dont know about any cheaper than that. the sony is definately better than no sub at all. if you calibrate it and do some tweaking with placement (and optionally stuff it with polyfill) it sounds pretty good.
i upgraded to an svs pci and its definately an improvement, but still the sony can fill in until you can get something better. especially if you arent used to higher end subs yet ;)

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Kier. The 16.75" height is just a bit over my space limit, though I guess I could raise the table up a bit. Something to think about. I wonder how the DSL would compare to the Sony after modification? It's good to hear from someone that upgraded to the SVS and still thinks the Sony will hold me over. I've been thinking about doing the same with an AudioSource (mod and use in the interim) as I research a DIY sub kit. By the way, my space for the sub will be fairly far from the receiver, so cable length is an issue . Any thoughts?

aldamon

Second Unit
Geoff, I want to thank you for your post on the DLS. I bought the DLS in July on a HTF recommendation. It was great to see so many people recommend it HERE, but it's really great to finally get some feedback from the outside, especially from someone in Brian's position.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
QUOTE]I want to thank you for your post on the DLS....[/quote]

I'll second that, except I bought mine in Sept., 2001. Brian makes and sells subs. I'd take his recommendation any time.

Jose, you should b able to find a dedicated subwoofer cable at Best Buys or Circuit City in whatever length you need.

aldamon

Second Unit
Jose, you should b able to find a dedicated subwoofer cable at Best Buys or Circuit City in whatever length you need.
Or he could make his own with RCA cable and Radio shack F to RCA adapters. That's what I did with my DLS. It works great and it was a fraction of the cost of a "real" cable. It's also easy and cheap to make large runs this way. Many people on the HTF have recommended this option.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Well, I put in the order for the DSL 10 as a hold me over sub. I was gathering points up for the Sony on my.sony.com but decided against it after all. I've heared the Sony decribed as "sloppy," even after mods. No offense to anyobe with the Sony- just something I read on the forum. I'm hoping the DSL is "less sloppy," although I'll probably never hear the Sony to make a direct comparison. I would like to compare them, though, if any one is game in the NYC area, so we could post the findings (even if they aren't measured with a sound meter). I will make my own sub in the near future (I hope), and will compare the DSL to that. As far as the cable is concerned, I plan on using flat RG6 (if I can find it) and the F to RCA adapters or attaching the RCA connectors right to the ends of the cable. Thanks for all your help- everyone!

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Jose, from what I've heard, the DLS 10" is a great little sub. Especially for the price. If I needed a decent cheap sub, that would be the one I'd buy. It's received some good praise from very well respected HT people. You may want to even head over to the Parts Express message board and search around there for more info.

Congrats on your purchase and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks