Are there any "good" HTB systems out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanN, Dec 23, 2001.

1. DanN

DanN Agent

OK, i know that most people here wouldn't be caught dead with one but in my current situation, a good HTB would suffice since it's going to be for a small room, connected to my 24" Tau
    obviously, HTB's can't complete with dedicated receivers and quality speakers in a big room, but I was wondering if any of the systems offered by Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, etc. are worth the money for a small room where space is limited?
    my main concerns are that the system has both DD/DTS decoding and preferably component video for the dvd player (i would actually prefer just a receiver w/o the dvd, but it seems like all these systems include a dvd player integrated into the receiver)
    so, any recommendations? or is this just a lost cause? [​IMG]

2. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

You're in luck (I guess.) The Kenwood HTB-504 has everything you want, including no DVD player. I've seen it for $400, but it's usually closer to $450.

3. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

I second the Kenwood HTB504.

4. DanN

DanN Agent

thanks guys

after seeing your recommendations, I did a search and found out that the Kenwood appears to be a good choice among people here

the only other unit i'm considering is the Denon (don't know the model number) - but i do believe the Denon is more expensive - however, if i'm not mistaken, it can also read mp3's as well...any reviews on it?

5. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

or ... make your own HT in several Bs:

JBL NSP1 + Kenwood VR-507 or Onkyo 494 + optional Sony Subwoofer

6. Brian_H_I

Brian_H_I Auditioning

I bought the Kenwood HTB504, after reading reviews here. I'm adding my full review of it to the forum today. It sounds great.
    You probably read this elsewhere, but a great way to purchase this unit is online, at a store like etronics.com, or take a print out of an online retailer price into Sears, and they will match it. I got my system by matching http://www.mjshow.com for $379. My Sears sales person didn't add shipping to the price, though some do.
    I took another tip from this site, and bought some 12 gauge speaker wire at Lowes to hook the system up, it was 0.27 a foot.