What's new

Are there any "good" HTB systems out there? (1 Viewer)

DanN

Agent
OK, i know that most people here wouldn't be caught dead with one but in my current situation, a good HTB would suffice since it's going to be for a small room, connected to my 24" Tau
obviously, HTB's can't complete with dedicated receivers and quality speakers in a big room, but I was wondering if any of the systems offered by Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, etc. are worth the money for a small room where space is limited?
my main concerns are that the system has both DD/DTS decoding and preferably component video for the dvd player (i would actually prefer just a receiver w/o the dvd, but it seems like all these systems include a dvd player integrated into the receiver)
so, any recommendations? or is this just a lost cause? :)

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
You're in luck (I guess.) The Kenwood HTB-504 has everything you want, including no DVD player. I've seen it for $400, but it's usually closer to $450.

DanN

Agent
thanks guys

after seeing your recommendations, I did a search and found out that the Kenwood appears to be a good choice among people here

the only other unit i'm considering is the Denon (don't know the model number) - but i do believe the Denon is more expensive - however, if i'm not mistaken, it can also read mp3's as well...any reviews on it?

David X

Stunt Coordinator
or ... make your own HT in several Bs:

JBL NSP1 + Kenwood VR-507 or Onkyo 494 + optional Sony Subwoofer

Brian_H_I

Auditioning
I bought the Kenwood HTB504, after reading reviews here. I'm adding my full review of it to the forum today. It sounds great.
You probably read this elsewhere, but a great way to purchase this unit is online, at a store like etronics.com or take a print out of an online retailer price into Sears, and they will match it. I got my system by matching http://www.mjshow.com for $379. My Sears sales person didn't add shipping to the price, though some do.
I took another tip from this site, and bought some 12 gauge speaker wire at Lowes to hook the system up, it was 0.27 a foot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks