in need of HTiB help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris_harpua, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Chris_harpua

Chris_harpua Agent

Hi,
    im pretty new at the whole HT thing, i am in the market for a home theater system that is in the $300-500 range w/out a dvd player. I am now looking at Onkyo and Kenwood as my main options. I found a nice Kenwood (htb-206) for $300 at best buy but the woofer is not powered. ive heard that passive woofers are a bad thing, I just wanted to know what is so bad about them and would a 100 watt passive woofer deliver enough bass for me? my living room is about 12'x16' give or take. i want to get a good sounding system but i dont have the cash to dump $800 on just the system itself. any suggestions would be appreciated.

on another note, id like to know where is the best place to buy these systems? i want to get a warantee on it so i dont have to worry about fixing anything on it if something breaks in the next 4 or 5 years, so that makes me worry about some online venders.

last question, what are your opinions on the Sony dvd player, the dvp-ns725p. its a basic single disc player and has good reviews online, just wanted the experts' opinions as well. =)

thanks for any help you guys can give me.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Forget the Kenwood and go for the Onkyo HTS760--it's in Circuit City's current flier for $499. This is a 6.1 system without dvd player, comes with real speakers not little silver plastic boxes and a real powered sub (150 watt with 8" driver). The receiver that comes with this is also the real deal and not a special model just for HTIB's. The sound quality from this is going to be well worth the extra money.

That Sony player is probably just fine, but you will soon be advised to hold out for a model with the Faroudja de-interlacing chip. If you can find one of the latter for $200-250, I'd strongly recommend it.

If your total budget limit allows for a Faroudja chip player but only the Kenwood, I think you'd be much better off with a non-Faroudja cheaper player like the Sony or a JVC and the Onkyo sound system.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    If you only need a 5.1 system, Fry's (if there's one near you) regularlly has the Onkyo S660 for $299. Other-wise, ditto what Steve said. Gene

4. Chris_harpua

Chris_harpua Agent

i think ive settled on the Onkyo system that Steve Schaffer
    mentioned. i believe thats the 6.1 system they have for about $500. ive heard that system is very nice, thinking about going to circuit city and playing around with it if i can tomorrow so hear it for myself and get price info on warantees and accessories.