What's new

Are people still blind buying physical media ? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

The only guaranteed way I have found to minimize blind buying of dvd/bluray, is to read all the spoilers in detail about a particular movie or multiple tv episodes. For example, I have been doing this for many years with stuff like Doctor Who, Star Trek franchises, and various superhero and horror / fantasy type genre movies.

There are plenty of wikis which goes into great excruciating details about what is going on in a particular episode of Doctor Who or Star Trek shows.

Before the Game of Thrones tv series ended, I seriously considered just reading through the original George RR Martin books so that I wouldn't be tempted to buy any of the blurays. In the end it didn't matter anymore, when the final season was rumored to be really lousy. This biggest reason is why I will not buy sci-fi, fantasy, etc ... shows on dvd/bluray is if they end really horribly (such as cliffhangers, etc ....).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Terrific article that makes the case for physical media, with interviews from Ron, Bill Hunt and more.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It's a great article but notwithstanding that some new films sell discs, the overall number has been decimated by streaming and digital ownership. It's great that KL, WA etc still release older titles on disc, but while I'm the only person I know who's still buying them, it's over apart from the niche collectors market.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
IMHO, when KL has a sale, they offer pound for pound THE best blind buys in bulk that anyone could hope for. There is just no losing at $9.99 a shot plus free shipping at 50 bucks or more.

Commentary tracks only add to the bargain, as well. And always, there are great things to be heard.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
These are all blind buys I purchased this week:

IMG_E5528.jpeg

- The Levelling, Saint Maud, Bait, The Falling and After Love were all mentioned as exceptional films from the last decade by The Observer's chief film critic, Mark Kermode, who is stepping down after ten years:

- Terence Davies' Sunset Song is mentioned by Mr Kermode and I realised that I hadn't seen it. It will be fitting to see it this weekend, a week after the death of this magnificent film director.

- I've been eagerly waiting for Past Lives. It is the second best rated film of the year on Metacritic and members on this forum - including Ronald Epstein - have been extremely enthusiastic.

- I haven't seen The Train, but it's a Kino Lorber 4K UHD and everyone talking about it on this site loves it.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
These are all blind buys I purchased this week:

View attachment 200617

- The Levelling, Saint Maud, The Falling and After Love were all mentioned as exceptional films from the last decade by The Observer's chief film critic, Mark Kermode, who is stepping down after ten years:

- Terence Davies' Sunset Song is mentioned by Mr Kermode and I realised that I hadn't seen it. It will be fitting to see it this weekend, a week after the death of this magnificent film director.

- I've been eagerly waiting for Past Lives. It is the second best rated film of the year on Metacritic and members on this forum - including Ronald Epstein - have been extremely enthusiastic.

- I haven't seen The Train, but it's a Kino Lorber 4K UHD and everyone talking about it on this site loves it.
So you have never seen The Train? Interested to hear your thoughts- I loved it on my first viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks