What's new

Are DVD-R's ever Sticky??? (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Here's the newest fun development in the wacky world of DVD-R burning. I just bought a spindle of SONY discs to try out. When I got the wrapping off the package, I went to remove the top disc and it felt really, really sticky along the edge. Then, when I ran my hand alongside the entire "wall" of the edges from this stack of discs, the whole thing was VERY sticky, meaning all around the edges. So I held the stack up to the light, and it would APPEAR that there are little droplets visible along the edges, too.
The edges do not appear smooth.

Could this be the "glue" that holds them together seeping through? Have they been on the shelves too long? Who the (insert favorite expletive here) knows? I'm presently trying to burn a disc to see what happens. Doesn't seem normal to me that the edges of all the discs feel like syrup had been smeared along them.

Is this ever common? I'm new at this so I'm not sure if this spindle is defective or what. I tried one disc and it seemed to record and playback fine.

cliff p

Auditioning
With a brand as recognizable as Sony, u'd really expect some quality merchandise. I've never seen the sticky discs though. How many discs were in the spindle? Where were the discs made?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
There were 50 discs on the spindle. Don't know where they were made, but I returned them and went with FUJI. I'm experimenting.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, certain, er, genres of DVD-R can be sticky after they've been recorded - and viewed at least once. :)

What you encountered may be adhesive residue. I don't know anything about the manufacturing and packing procedure for bulk DVDs, but it is possible that "sleeves" of several hundred are wrapped in adhesive film at some point and broken down into the typical 25, 50 and 100 disc spindles. Just a guess.

Regards,

Joe

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
My guess, since we're doing that, is that something sticky penetrated the package at the point of the top disc. I wouldn't consider it something you'd expect to find in Sony products and, while there is nothing wrong with buying Fuji, I'd have just exchanged it for a different pack of Sony's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks