What's new

Apply a view to all subfolders (Windows Explorer) (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I want all the subfolders in the "My Music" folder to appear as thumbnails. That way I can easily view the 1000's of images of album art I've stored.

Currently, I'm having to enter each folder and manually change them to thumbnail view. Is there any way to change the whole directory (My Music) without messing up the views in other directories? In other words, I don't want the My Documents or other Explorer windows to change.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe there is, at least not that's easily available to the user. In XP you can apply a customization down through the folder path, but I don't think changes the actual view.

You can change the view for each folder maually, but Windows only remembers 200 or so before reverting them back to their 'default' view. However there are registry hacks available to increase that number.

The views in Windows are a total pain in the ass. For such a simple concept it staggers me that a more robust way of remembering the setting hasn't been implemented. What would it take to add some kind of flag field to the folder to tell windows what view to use? No, they'd rather just stick an animated dog in the search function. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks