What's new

Apple Vision Pro - Replacement for TV display? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The main problem right now is that -- according to the reviews I've read -- the battery pack is only good for two hours. So it's going to be difficult to view that new "Avatar" movie in one sitting ... (I suppose the battery pack can be charging while in use?)

Other than the battery pack (which is about the size of an iPhone and is designed to clip to your belt and/or place into your pocket) everything else regarding the new device is *incredible*!! Keep in mind that this is not an iPhone Accessory; it's a complete new computing device with multiple large virtual screens (when you want them); and a virtual keyboard (which pops up under your fingers) when you need it. Also, the headset becomes partially transparent (on demand) so you can interact with your surroundings if need be. Apple also states that Disney will release specially formatted versions of their movies for the headset; and Apple TV+ will even be providing 3D live sporting events (currently MLB Baseball and Soccer) with "on-demand" viewing angles. I GUESS I WANT ONE!!!!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Apparently, the goggles can be plugged into a wall socket and still be used.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Apple also states that Disney will release specially formatted versions of their movies for the headset; and Apple TV+ will even be providing 3D live sporting events (currently MLB Baseball and Soccer) with "on-demand" viewing angles
Like I would trust DISNEY's support of anything after what they did to 3D TV. And speaking of 3D, I find it eminently funny that people think that most people will want to wear a heavy set of goggles to watch a 3D film or Sport event when the biggest complaint about 3DTV was having to wear a set of glasses that weighed 5 ounces.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
How do you know if you've never tried it? Perhaps you meant to say, you don't THINK you could watch a movie like that?
I have watched part of a movie on a friend’s VR device, I don’t have one myself and am not in any hurry to get one. It works for games and things where you take on a first-person view, but it’s a poor substitute for a screen that’s supposed to be in front of you with the main sound coming from it.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’m waiting on the first news report after release date stating that someone totaled their Tesla while wearing this and driving on Autopilot.

It’s all noise to me. I don’t care about AR/VR or 3-D movies and there are a number of things that I’d rather spend $3500 on. I’m glad others are excited for this but it doesn’t move the needle for me.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Like I would trust DISNEY's support of anything after what they did to 3D TV. And speaking of 3D, I find it eminently funny that people think that most people will want to wear a heavy set of goggles to watch a 3D film or Sport event when the biggest complaint about 3DTV was having to wear a set of glasses that weighed 5 ounces.

Actually, there are rumors out there that Apple may purchase Disney to -- among other things -- secure this content!

Apple is *very serious* about this "Wearable" becoming The Next Big Thing.
They are already touting it as:
* The best way to listen to Surround Sound.
* The best way to surf the Internet; and perform other routine computing chores. (With multiple huge virtual screens for each app no less!)
* The best way to play games <natch>.
* The best way to view movies. (Users have already stated that regular iTunes movies appear on a giant virtual screen that simulates a movie theater; the specially-formatted 3D movies (like "Avatar") appear on a giant curved screen that immerses your entire peripheral vision. The 3D is so effective you'll almost feel like you're *in* the movie!)
* The best way to compute on your Mac. (You can link to your Mac and obtain multiple giant virtual screens.)

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I've used the Quest 2 headset to watch 3D movies and, while novel, it's not a replacement for a proper TV or projector set up. For one thing, it's just not comfortable to wear a headset for more than an hour or so. For another, no matter what anyone says, headphones cannot compete with a discrete speaker and subwoofer system. They just don't have the visceral, chest-thumping, body-shaking impact.

These VR/AR devices have their uses, but they are a complement to traditional display technology, not a replacement.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Actually, there are rumors out there that Apple may purchase Disney to -- among other things -- secure this content!

Apple is *very serious* about this "Wearable" becoming The Next Big Thing.
They are already touting it as:
* The best way to listen to Surround Sound.
* The best way to surf the Internet; and perform other routine computing chores. (With multiple huge virtual screens for each app no less!)
* The best way to play games <natch>.
* The best way to view movies. (Users have already stated that regular iTunes movies appear on a giant virtual screen that simulates a movie theater; the specially-formatted 3D movies (like "Avatar") appear on a giant curved screen that immerses your entire peripheral vision. The 3D is so effective you'll almost feel like you're *in* the movie!)
* The best way to compute on your Mac. (You can link to your Mac and obtain multiple giant virtual screens.)

I highly doubt APPLE has any intention to purchase DISNEY.

Of course APPLE would say those things. They want to sell people a massively expensive headset.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
* The best way to view movies. (Users have already stated that regular iTunes movies appear on a giant virtual screen that simulates a movie theater

I am REALLY looking forward to experiencing that bit of virtual reality. I envision a massive virtual theater screen with rows of seats in front (and to the sides) of me, filled with well-behaved virtual humans also watching the film. They cheer, laugh and applaud at just the right moments, simulating a real movie theater. Yet, nobody kicking my seat, nobody talking at inappropriate times, and nobody getting up and blocking my view in the middle of the film! Total immersion in the film, yet, with the feeling of being in a real movie theater. Plus, during the 3.5 hours it takes to watch Avatar 2, I can PAUSE the film and use the restroom.

Frankly, I really don't understand how anyone claiming to be a home theater enthusiast wouldn't want to at least TRY something like that.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've used the Quest 2 headset to watch 3D movies and, while novel, it's not a replacement for a proper TV or projector set up. For one thing, it's just not comfortable to wear a headset for more than an hour or so. For another, no matter what anyone says, headphones cannot compete with a discrete speaker and subwoofer system. They just don't have the visceral, chest-thumping, body-shaking impact.

These VR/AR devices have their uses, but they are a complement to traditional display technology, not a replacement.

Who said anything about using headphones? I plan to sit in my home theater room and use the exact same surround system that I use when watching our Sony 75" TV. The Apple Vision Pro will only replace the TV (with a much larger virtual TV that looks BETTER than the high-end TV we already have).

Or, I can completely escape reality and go for the sitting-in-a-theater experience described above.

Mark

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Who said anything about using headphones?

Apple. The Vision Pro is designed and intended to be used with the built-in audio pods for head-tracking spatial surround sound.

I plan to sit in my home theater room and use the exact same surround system that I use when watching our Sony 75" TV.

I would not be certain you will be able to do that. Apart from bluetooth inputs, the Vision Pro isn't designed to interface with third-party devices. I suppose your use case could be possible if you use the external display feature with a mac and output sound from the mac to the stereo, but it remains to be seen if Apple will enable that functionality.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
It only needs to interface with my Apple TV 4K. The Apple TV 4K supplies the audio the Apple Vision Pro provides the video. I am quite confident Apple has already thought of it.

And you are aware that the "built-in audio pods" are NOT in-ear or over-the-ear devices, right? They are on the arms of the Vision Pro and sit above and forward the ear.

Speaker.jpg

Mark

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
It only needs to interface with my Apple TV 4K. The Apple TV 4K supplies the audio the Apple Vision Pro provides the video. I am quite confident Apple has already thought of it.
Yes, it is likely someone at Apple has thought of it. I would not be so certain Apple will enable it. Apple has not announced any integration with the AppleTV.

And you are aware that the "built-in audio pods" are NOT in-ear or over-the-ear devices, right? They are on the arms of the Vision Pro and sit above and forward the ear.
Yes, I am aware.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The front speakers should be behind the screen or at least appear to be. Dialogue, or all the sound in a mono film should be coming from the screen only- with headphones it sounds like it’s coming from inside your head instead.

I’m sure this will be neat but it won’t likely replace a good home theater.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it is likely someone at Apple has thought of it. I would not be so certain Apple will enable it. Apple has not announced any integration with the AppleTV.

What do you bet we know if there is such integration BEFORE anyone is at the point of plunking down $3,500 to buy an AVP?! If no integration exists that would allow me to simply use the AVP as a display only, then I won't plan to buy one. Easy peasy.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The front speakers should be behind the screen or at least appear to be. Dialogue, or all the sound in a mono film should be coming from the screen only- with headphones it sounds like it’s coming from inside your head instead.

I’m sure this will be neat but it won’t likely replace a good home theater.

I guess I didn't make clear... I will sit in the exact same theater room as I sit in now when watching my current 75" Sony TV. Exact same seat. Exact same speaker placement with exactly the same distances from my ears. My A/V receiver is calibrated for that seat to be the "sweet spot" seat. The AVP virtual theater screen I create will overlap (and visually hide) the current 75" TV, only a lot bigger.

Next, someone will content that I need to SEE the speakers and subwoofer in order to hear them. :rolling-smiley:

Mark

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I am REALLY looking forward to experiencing that bit of virtual reality. I envision a massive virtual theater screen with rows of seats in front (and to the sides) of me, filled with well-behaved virtual humans also watching the film. They cheer, laugh and applaud at just the right moments, simulating a real movie theater. Yet, nobody kicking my seat, nobody talking at inappropriate times, and nobody getting up and blocking my view in the middle of the film! Total immersion in the film, yet, with the feeling of being in a real movie theater. Plus, during the 3.5 hours it takes to watch Avatar 2, I can PAUSE the film and use the restroom.

Frankly, I really don't understand how anyone claiming to be a home theater enthusiast wouldn't want to at least TRY something like that.

Mark

Just before you got to that, I was (humorously) imagining Apple adding virtual bathroom to the experience, LOL... ;) :D:laugh::laugh::laugh::rolling-smiley:

_Man_

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You'd think Apple invented foveated rendering and eye tracking the way these media wonks are going on.

And, apparently, watching a movie with a VR headset didn't exist until Apple invented it. :rolleyes:

It is amazing.how reviewers were complaining how near 4K, foveated rendering and eye tracking on the PSVR2 was way too expensive at 550US, but foveated rendering, 4K, and eye tracking is a bargain at 3500US now that Apple is doing it.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We get it, Edwin... you hate Apple. Perhaps you'll consider letting the discussion continue without you feeling the need to constantly pee in the pool? Pretty please?

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks