Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
2C076F38-3F78-4109-AF41-646EB5A7FF2C.jpeg
AFBB4E84-0075-4256-9CCA-E5C5CC849D2C.jpeg
Now I have a new one.

Oblivion now only offers a French or Spanish Audi track on iTunes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tony,

I just checked and I had the same experience with my 4KATV unit in my Office HT which doesn't have a Dolby Atmos receiver hooked up to it. I then went downstairs to my main HT with my 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup and it played in English with Dolby Atmos. I checked my settings on that 4KATV unit just to compare to my audio settings on my Office 4KATV unit. I went back to my Office 4KATV, I checked the audio settings and click on Audio Format which was on Auto. I then proceeded to Audio Format and click on Best Available. After doing so, Oblivion played back in English on my 4KATV Office unit. It's not in Dolby Atmos which is correct without it being hooked up to a Dolby Atmos receiver.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
A friend recently purchased an Apple TV 4K. He is generally an Apple fan but, previously, just couldn't justify $150 for an Apple TV when Rokus were $50. So he owned a couple different Roku models over the last few years. Recently (for a reason unknown to me), he decided to give the Apple TV 4K a chance. This is the text message I received to start the conversation where he let me know he got an Apple TV:

"Turns out the Apple TV is WAY better than the Roku!"

;)

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A friend recently purchased an Apple TV 4K. He is generally an Apple fan but, previously, just couldn't justify $150 for an Apple TV when Rokus were $50. So he owned a couple different Roku models over the last few years. Recently (for a reason unknown to me), he decided to give the Apple TV 4K a chance. This is the text message I received to start the conversation where he let me know he got an Apple TV:

"Turns out the Apple TV is WAY better than the Roku!"

;)

Mark

I own both, and while I do prefer the ATV4K overall, each product has its advantages and disadvantages.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tony,

I just checked and I had the same experience with my 4KATV unit in my Office HT which doesn't have a Dolby Atmos receiver hooked up to it. I then went downstairs to my main HT with my 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup and it played in English with Dolby Atmos. I checked my settings on that 4KATV unit just to compare to my audio settings on my Office 4KATV unit. I went back to my Office 4KATV, I checked the audio settings and click on Audio Format which was on Auto. I then proceeded to Audio Format and click on Best Available. After doing so, Oblivion played back in English on my 4KATV Office unit. It's not in Dolby Atmos which is correct without it being hooked up to a Dolby Atmos receiver.
@TonyD I just checked my third 4KATV in my Bedroom HT that has a non-Dolby Atmos capable receiver and without changing any settings on that 4KATV unit, Oblivion played fine in English audio. It might just have been a glitch earlier with that particular title.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Robert I'm sure it was as I now have English and Atmos back for that title.

So wierd.

in any event all the audio glitches are just very strange.

I reconnected back to the 4K tv one last time to check it out.

Again, after doing that I get Atmos and 5.1 sound back on Prime.
Minutes after I reconnect to the 1080 tv I lose Atmos and revert down to stereo.

As a reminder Only Jack Ryan includes Atmos on Prime.

While Arrival doesnt appear to offer Atmos I do have 7.1 speakers coming through the input signal.

Anyhow I'm doing a return and replace with Amazon.

I dont doubt that it hasn't been user error but I just want to start over fresh with a new box.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert I'm sure it was as I now have English and Atmos back for that title.

So wierd.

in any event all the audio glitches are just very strange.

I reconnected back to the 4K tv one last time to check it out.

Again, after doing that I get Atmos and 5.1 sound back on Prime.
Minutes after I reconnect to the 1080 tv I lose Atmos and revert down to stereo.

As a reminder Only Jack Ryan includes Atmos on Prime.

While Arrival doesnt appear to offer Atmos I do have 7.1 speakers coming through the input signal.

Anyhow I'm doing a return and replace with Amazon.

I dont doubt that it hasn't been user error but I just want to start over fresh with a new box.
@TonyD Why are you connecting two different TVs to the same 4KATV? Perhaps, you’re causing a HDMI handshake issue by not reconfiguring the unit when doing so. Are you using two different things receivers too?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have a 4k tv and a 1080 tv.

Since I couldnt figure out why I wasnt getting some features to work on the 1080 tv I unplugged the hdmi into the 4k tv.
did a soft reset and turned Atv back on.

I found out from you and just experimenting that the only app that will allow Atmos on 1080 tv is iTunes.

Prime, Movies Anywhere and Vudu will not allow Atmos and Prime doesn't even allow 5.1 when not connected to a 4K tv.

Prime will pass the 4K feed through but is down-rez'd to 1080 on the 1080 tv so that makes it even odder that it wont pass 5.1 through too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The TCM app on iTunes is not working properly as an error message keeps popping up and won't play any recently added movies.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just checked it and even with all the crazy stuff for me it’s working.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Btw Amazon sent me another Atv. It only took 2 days to get it from when I put me request in.

No issues yet.
Also TCM has their tribute to all the people that have died this year playing at the end of some movies now.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hmm ok the first one Best Years doesn’t play. I clicked earlier on the featured Wc Fields and that one did.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmm ok the first one Best Years doesn’t play. I clicked earlier on the featured Wc Fields and that one did.
@TonyD It's the movies they added the last 3 or so days that won't play as films added during the middle of last week play fine.

By the way, are you having any issues with your new 4KATV unit Amazon playing Dolby Atmos or 5.1 audio?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes Only on Amazon video.
That seems to be typical unless it’s connected to a 4K tv.
Only stereo on the 1080 tv.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like Apple is repairing the TCM app as some titles not available yesterday are playing today. There are still some titles not available, but not as many as there was yesterday.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I ordered an Apple TV 4K device over the weekend (an upgrade from my little used 2nd or 3rd generation ATV - I'm not sure how old the thing is). I use Roku almost exclusively for streaming, so it will be interesting to see how this new device fares. I have a handful of movies that I own that I can only access via Apple, so I guess I'll watch them first :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I ordered an Apple TV 4K device over the weekend (an upgrade from my little used 2nd or 3rd generation ATV - I'm not sure how old the thing is). I use Roku almost exclusively for streaming, so it will be interesting to see how this new device fares. I have a handful of movies that I own that I can only access via Apple, so I guess I'll watch them first :)
Good luck with your new 4KATV and let us know what you think of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks