Apple TV 4K official (2 Viewers)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So, I don’t know what’s going on.

I just plugged the Atv into the 4K tv.
I usually have it on the 1080 big tv.

Finally got Atmos to appear on Jack Ryan while on the 4K tv.
Plugged the hdmi back into the 1080 tv and it still has Atmos.

Well after i turned everything off then went back in I lost Atmos on Ryan again.

Plugged it back into the 4K tv, reset it and Atmos back again.

Now it’s back on the big tv and still there.

For how long, who knows.

So maybe Amazon Video With Atmos has some kind of issue with being connected to non 4K TVs.

But even with that I have it right now on the non 4K tv.

Still not with Vudu though.

The odyssey continues.
I have my ATV always outputting 4K and I think everyone else responding here probably does too, which is why we don’t see the same issues. It makes sense that Atmos may be tied to 4K streams on some content. As for Vudu, the only difference I notice there is Vudu Atmos streams with a core of (DD+ I think?) whereas iTunes Atmos streams with a core of PCM.

Edit: Vudu and iTunes both apparently stream Atmos PCM. I was confusing Vudu on Apple TV with Vudu on other devices.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have my ATV always outputting 4K and I think everyone else responding here probably does too, which is why we don’t see the same issues. It makes sense that Atmos may be tied to 4K streams on some content. As for Vudu, the only difference I notice there is Vudu Atmos streams with a core of (DD+ I think?) whereas iTunes Atmos streams with a core of PCM.
Mark is correct, at least in regard to my set-up. I have my 4KATV unit connected to my OLED outputting 4K HDR (24Hz). I also concur with his assessment of the Atmos streams for both Vudu and iTunes.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
After looking more closely, I'm finding very few Vudu titles I can even get Atmos on. Perhaps the issue there is you (TonyD) are just not finding Vudu titles that have Atmos? And also you'll notice the specs at Vudu.com definitely show Atmos as only on UHD streams, not HDX streams.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After looking more closely, I'm finding very few Vudu titles I can even get Atmos on. Perhaps the issue there is you (TonyD) are just not finding Vudu titles that have Atmos? And also you'll notice the specs at Vudu.com definitely show Atmos as only on UHD streams, not HDX streams.
The first 37 UHD streams I pulled up there were 12 of them with Atmos audio on the Vudu app on iTunes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
On Vudu I was checking Skyscraper which has an Atmos track.
As does Martian.

I have them on ITunes with Atmos but won’t work on Vudu even with the 4K tv and the Atv connected together.
Oh well.

Looks like I have everything figured out except for Atmos on Vudu.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On Vudu I was checking Skyscraper which has an Atmos track.
As does Martian.

I have them on ITunes with Atmos but won’t work on Vudu even with the 4K tv and the Atv connected together.
Oh well.

Looks like I have everything figured out except for Atmos on Vudu.
Skyscraper was one of those 12 of 37 4K titles I checked on the Vudu app that played with Atmos.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've been doing some learning about digital codes and the best places to use them.

Found a master list of where to use your code to get the most from the code.

Example I found I could put the code from Arrival bluray and it changes to UHD on Itunes.

But apparently the code included with the 4K of Air Force One will only give you UHD through whatever platform Sony uses.
I'll need to recheck that one, seems dubious.

Also found this at blu-ray.com

"I use the spreadsheet too, however there can still be some confusion on what is the best option to get the "most" out of your digital rights. It all boils down to the studio that released the film as to what service you should use. I made this list in another thread:
  • Sony Pictures: Redeem UHD codes through Movies Anywhere to get 4K rights in iTunes. Redeeming UHD codes on Sony Picture's website, FandangoNOW, or Vudu will only give you 4K rights in iTunes if the title is available in UHD on Vudu (only a couple titles so far).
  • 20th Century Fox: Redeem HD or UHD codes through iTunes to get 4K rights in iTunes, if available in that format. Redeeming codes in Vudu will only give you HD rights across all services (UV locker, Vudu, & iTunes).
  • Warner Bros.: Redeem UHD codes through Vudu and they will port over 4K rights in iTunes for most available titles (via Movies Anywhere). This is the best option as you will get UHD rights in Vudu as well.
  • Paramount: Best of all worlds; redeem UHD codes in both iTunes & Vudu to get 4K rights across all services (UV locker, Vudu, & iTunes). Redeem HD codes through iTunes to get 4K rights, if available in that format.
  • Universal: Most UHD codes can be redeemed in both iTunes & either Vudu or FandangoNOW to get 4K rights for all services that offer the title in that format. Universal is hit or miss on which services offer particular titles in 4K (use this spreadsheet for guidance). Redeem HD codes through iTunes to get 4K rights, if available in that format.
  • Lionsgate: Some UHD codes can be redeemed in both iTunes & Vudu to get 4K rights for all services that offer the title in that format. Like Universal, use this spreadsheet for guidance.
  • Disney: Redeeming UHD codes through Movies Anywhere does not currently grant 4K rights in any service. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 & Pirates of the Caribbean 5 UHD codes ported to Vudu in UHD for a short period of time, but apparently not anymore. Disney does not currently offer any titles in 4K through iTunes. Hopefully when they begin to, any titles redeemed through MA will automatically update to 4K"
Credit to rbg08.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been doing some learning about digital codes and the best places to use them.

Found a master list of where to use your code to get the most from the code.

Example I found I could put the code from Arrival bluray and it changes to UHD on Itunes.

But apparently the code included with the 4K of Air Force One will only give you UHD through whatever platform Sony uses.
I'll need to recheck that one, seems dubious.

Also found this at blu-ray.com

"I use the spreadsheet too, however there can still be some confusion on what is the best option to get the "most" out of your digital rights. It all boils down to the studio that released the film as to what service you should use. I made this list in another thread:
  • Sony Pictures: Redeem UHD codes through Movies Anywhere to get 4K rights in iTunes. Redeeming UHD codes on Sony Picture's website, FandangoNOW, or Vudu will only give you 4K rights in iTunes if the title is available in UHD on Vudu (only a couple titles so far).
  • 20th Century Fox: Redeem HD or UHD codes through iTunes to get 4K rights in iTunes, if available in that format. Redeeming codes in Vudu will only give you HD rights across all services (UV locker, Vudu, & iTunes).
  • Warner Bros.: Redeem UHD codes through Vudu and they will port over 4K rights in iTunes for most available titles (via Movies Anywhere). This is the best option as you will get UHD rights in Vudu as well.
  • Paramount: Best of all worlds; redeem UHD codes in both iTunes & Vudu to get 4K rights across all services (UV locker, Vudu, & iTunes). Redeem HD codes through iTunes to get 4K rights, if available in that format.
  • Universal: Most UHD codes can be redeemed in both iTunes & either Vudu or FandangoNOW to get 4K rights for all services that offer the title in that format. Universal is hit or miss on which services offer particular titles in 4K (use this spreadsheet for guidance). Redeem HD codes through iTunes to get 4K rights, if available in that format.
  • Lionsgate: Some UHD codes can be redeemed in both iTunes & Vudu to get 4K rights for all services that offer the title in that format. Like Universal, use this spreadsheet for guidance.
  • Disney: Redeeming UHD codes through Movies Anywhere does not currently grant 4K rights in any service. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 & Pirates of the Caribbean 5 UHD codes ported to Vudu in UHD for a short period of time, but apparently not anymore. Disney does not currently offer any titles in 4K through iTunes. Hopefully when they begin to, any titles redeemed through MA will automatically update to 4K"
Credit to rbg08.
I thought you knew about this spreadsheet as many of us have been using it for a while.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsJkCX4DIv2oeCKQ7zp2ArkR1qKEXCUuCMBbUtHtmh4/htmlview

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I did But until now I really had no interest in digital copies of movies.

I have probably hundreds of codes and had considered trying to sell them but that seems to be a rigamarole to go through to sell them.
So I guess I’ll just add them in.

I meant to include a link to that list in the previous post but forgot

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I did But until now I really had no interest in digital copies of movies.

I have probably hundreds of codes and had considered trying to sell them but that seems to be a rigamarole to go through to sell them.
So I guess I’ll just add them in.

You might be in for an unpleasant surprise Tony. Most digital codes have an expiration date.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Good to know Robert. I've never tried to redeem an expired code. I should give it a try! Maybe they're like those Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons? ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I’m aware of the expiry dates. From everything I’ve seen they tend to work anyway.

I’ll try to find an old one and test it out.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It’s hit and miss. I’ve redeemed many expired codes with success but sometimes they just don’t work.

Also Tony check out the Movies Anywhere thread in the Streaming forum. Lots of good info there.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ha well as I expected I lost Atmos and 5.1 again on Prime video.
I guess if it’s not connected to a 4K tv it loses that function after a bit.

Really doesn’t make sense as it’s an audio thing not a video thing.

Oh is there a link in here somewhere to find low prices for movies on sale at Itunes?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Oh is there a link in here somewhere to find low prices for movies on sale at Itunes?
CheapCharts app.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian

I don't think the TV makes a difference. I use an Apple TV on a Sony oled and then switch it to a 1080 projector and I still get Atmos. The Apple TV is plugged into a receiver and the receiver is connected to the oled and the projector on different outputs. When I play to the TV, I get the Dolby Vision symbol on the screen for a few seconds to show it is sending HDR. When I switch to the projector, the image goes away for 5 seconds and it drops down to 1080 but I still get Dolby Atmos.

Brian

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

I don't think the TV makes a difference. I use an Apple TV on a Sony oled and then switch it to a 1080 projector and I still get Atmos. The Apple TV is plugged into a receiver and the receiver is connected to the oled and the projector on different outputs. When I play to the TV, I get the Dolby Vision symbol on the screen for a few seconds to show it is sending HDR. When I switch to the projector, the image goes away for 5 seconds and it drops down to 1080 but I still get Dolby Atmos.

Brian

Yeah not for me and my tv and Atv

Only way for me to get the Atmos and any 5.1 is to be connected to a 4K tv.

Even at that I dont get any Atmos on Vudu or Movie Anywhere, Only itunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CoolMovies
    Recent bookmarks