What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anyone own any MAR DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Except for some P&S discs I'm reviewing, I only own 2 MAR discs (out of 550+ total):

The Witches (Roeg/1990/Warner)--only the third DVD I bought. I really look forward to retiring this one in favor of an OAR SE (help me out here, WB!)

The Aviator's Wife/La Femme de l'aviateur (Rohmer/1981/Fox Lorber)--alright, I bought it new for under 5 bucks ...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
If These Walls Could Talk 2 1.33:1 (HBO Movie, probably OAR)
Black Christmas (Replaced with a new Edition)
Prom Night II 1.33:1 (Some claim 1.33:1 is the OAR, but I think it's open matte)
Slumber Party Massacre 2 (Some claim 1.33:1 is the OAR, but I think this is open matte too)
Slumber Party Massacre 3 (Same as above)
Sorority House Massacre (Same as above)
Sorority House Massacre 2 (Same as above)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (have an OAR version, bought the cheapie disc for the extra scenes)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I've bought a few where both versions are included, but never one where it's MARred only.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I have two. Frantic and Sorcerer. I can tolerate watching them in MAR until something better comes along. Also, both were shot open matte, so it's easier to stomach. I would never buy a MAR release of film shot anamorphically. I know that's flawed logic, but its how I justify it.

Sarah S

Second Unit
Babe
Christmas Stoy (actually got around to replacing this one)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Jake Speed
Muppet Treasure Island
Probably a couple others that I've forgotten right now. I do plan on replacing those with OAR re-releases...someday.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Transformers the Movie out of pure nostalgia, although rumors of a 2-disc OAR release certainly have lots of appeal to me. I need to find the money to buy the season sets.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
A Christmas Story-still haven't gotten the new one
two towers regular - my roomate gave me it and i'm using it for the rebate.
transformers movie
I guess old academy ratio movies don't count right?
(BTW is night of the hunter OAR?)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I have two:

Fearless - a great movie, and a complete shame that there's no R1 WS edition

Revenge of the Ninja - come on...do we really need to argue the artistic merits of this flick? lol

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
The Jungle Book (1967)

Although I am not sure about these. I remember seing Jungle Book at 1.85:1 during its last theatrical release, but don't know if Disney was animating for a different ratio back then, as they do today most of the time today for 1.66:1, but safe at 1.85:1.

Also, Star Trek VI at 2.20:1 is questionable.

I can't wait to replace Star Trek VI in February with a nice anamorphic release though.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I don't keep track of that kind of stuff...it's been over 6.5 years since I got my first DVD. Some are not OAR. Some are even non-anamorphic widescreen. (Gasp!)

I still have my non-anamorphic TITANIC. In fact, I have a non-anamorphic TITANIC will full-bitrate DTS sound. (It's not on DVD, however.)

And while I would have loved an anamorphic widescreen REMO WILLIAMS, I took what I could get. And I'll do it again.

It's about the movie, and the best available presentation.

- Steve

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Happy Gilmore, but I held out as long as I could before I bought the disc, my video tape had faded from countless replays.

Muppet Christmas Carol, because I love that movie.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Hmm, after thinking about it, i believe in my whole collection of nearly 300 dvds only 2 are m.a.r. They are cant buy me love, and the gate.I got them because i love the movies, and because i have a feeling they wont be released in o.a.r. till at least the next format.Maybe not even then.:D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The Krays (R2). I didn't realise it was MAR when I bought it, but hey it was on sale at the airport HMV (or whatever store it was) on my way out of London.

Now to open the can of worms:-

Babylon 5 S1-3
Eyes Wide Shut

Let the debates begin...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I own two:

Doc Hollywood (Hey! My wife made me purchase this!! And she hasn't viewed it in awhile ... Mebbe' I could dump it on a relative at this point?)

Star Trek VI - The current DVD is a non-OAR, non-anamorphic transfer of a non-theatrical presentation of the movie. Like the previous poster in this thread stated regarding this title, February 2004 can't get here soon enough!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Agreed with Babylon 5 1-3. I only bought them because I know that a OAR release is very unlikely at least on DVD - maybe the next format. I also held off buying Buffy until the R1 releases.

Cant think of any MAR releases that I have. I originally bought a copy of Sleepers on DVD from R2 to find it was 1.85:1 and took it back and ordered the R1 version which I understand is the correct OAR of 2.35:1. I can live with having to turn over the disc.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Traveller and the original release of Babe were the only two I've owned, both due to lack of research on my part. I sold them on eBay a couple of years ago.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
The Recruit but that was "director approved" opening the mats from 2.35 to 1.77. I still feel a little dirty watching it.

Has anyone zoomed Happy Gilmore? How does that work out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks