what makes a speaker..a good speaker?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Raptor382, Sep 25, 2013.

1. gene c

gene c Producer

Aug 5, 2003
    My satellite box, dvd and BR players are all hooked up with HDMI and analog connections. Pure Analog (or Pure Direct) does bypass all processing including bass/treble controls and YPAO For 2 channel music, including XM radio off Dish Network, I just prefer analog over hdmi. Give it a try.

Towers might be a bit better in the 80hz - 150hz range, who knows for sure, but you might get better drivers/tweeters in a comparably priced bookshelf. It's a tough call. When using a subwoofer I never felt I was missing anything with a good pair of bookshelves. I wouldn't buy a bookshelf that doesn't go to at least 55hz which would allow an 80hz crossover setting with a little breathing room. But any decent subwoofer wouldn't have any problems with a 120 or even a 150 hz crossover. They're designed to take the strain off the amplifier and the speakers, not the other way around.

Buying speakers on the net without hearing them first is a little un-nerving. But the best place to audition speakers is your own livingroom. I used to rent cars for a few days each before buying the one that I wound up liking the best. Consider the return shipping a rental fee.

Come to grips with the fact that you will never buy the best speakers out there for you. There's just too many different brands and models. Look for an acceptable compromise.
  2. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Apr 7, 2007
    Again, only at higher SPL and with the right material. At moderate listening levels in a home theater application youll be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a tower and bookshelf.
    No, your subs work load is determined by your crossover.
    Just because a sub can produce 80 Hz to 20 Hz does not mean its good at it. Matter of fact, few subs can commit much beyond a linear response, over that entire broad range, and most only do really well when youre more conservative in what you ask of them. For good bass, over that entire bass spectrum, ask your sub for only 50 Hz to 20 Hz and leave the 80 Hz to 50 Hz for towers or something like a mid bass module. Just keep in mind that towers must be turned up to show this strength.

Also keep in mind this is all from a perfectionists standpoint and a 'Just say no to mud' philosophy. In a budget system, built primarily with home theater in mind, asking your sub for 80 Hz is just fine. However music applications and high continuous SPL demands more.