Anyone own any MAR DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Butler, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Just curious

I only broke down and bought one.

Frantic. It was less than $10 and its one of my fav flicks. Im awfully damn close to trying to find Nighthawks.

Please dont turn this thread into a widescreen vs Pan Scam debate please. Its just a curiousity, raise your hand if youve sinned bit.

Thanks

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Not a one, unless you count my first copy of Silverado, which was incorrectly framed at 1.85:1 instead 2.35:1.

Had P&S been good enough for me, I never would have gotten into LD and then DVD in the first place.

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Just one and it was one of my very first dvd's and is only available in R1 in P&S so don't judge me too hard. Happy Gilmore. I would rebuy it and perminently destroy the P&S copy in a heartbeat.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    My Fellow Americans. A guilty pleasure that was only $5.88 at Wal-Mart and is not available in OAR.

But I wouldn't have paid full-price.

And the original release of Driving Miss Daisy, a gift to me upon first receiving a DVD player. I wasn't aware it was full-screen only when I asked for it. It has since been duly replaced with the recent OAR re-release.

6. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Thanks to the Christmas Story SE, I now only own 1 MAR disc-Ace Ventura. I bought this the first I week I had my DVD player in 2000 and made the mistake of not checking the specs.

That disc, and of course all the Kubrick films-just kidding-I like 'em the way they are!!!

7. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I bought the reissue of 'Excess Baggage' from the $5.88 bin hoping it would contain both transfers like the previous version.

It only had the PS version and I felt dirty after watching it...

Columbia/Tristar, shame on you for these 2003 P&S-only reissues from hell.

==========

I did knowingly purchase a copy of 'The Rat Pack' from WalMart for $7.88, but I think it was originally 1.33 ratio (a TV movie).

8. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Police Academy
    Drunken Master II(misframed at 1.78:1 instead of 2.35:1)
    Playing By Heart(also misframed, although this may be intentional)
    Region 2 Buffy Seasons 4-6 sets(1.78:1 despite Joss' 4:3 preference)

I intentionally left off titles like Austin Powers and the Kubrick films since those have varying aspect ratios based on the directors' wishes.

9. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Agreed about the shame of purchasing non 16x9 titles. I actually sold my 4x3 lbxed Titanic because of guilt about owning a THX-certified "A" list title that clearly used a new state-of-the-art transfer that was not properly 16x9 encoded.

Oh...MAR DVDs.

Two (both open matte):

A Christmas Story (now replaced with 16x9 WS)
    Mr. Mom (oh PLEEAASE MGM this one needs a new HD transfer SOOO BAAAAD!!!)

11. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    I actually own a few. The original Christmas Story (an early mistake) and three Wal-Mart bargain bin forays: My Fellow Americans, Doc Hollywood and Grumpy Old Men.

Even with the low price, I will only buy MAR discs that are character/dialog driven (little or no special effects) open matte films. I then treat them as if they're non-anamorphic matted widescreen movies and zoom in. The result looks like OAR to me!

12. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have bought some as gifts, but those were the old Christmas Story and IMAX Super Speedway.

No DVDs in my collection are MAR.

13. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

only one that comes to mind, and I dint even look to see when i bought it.. "Spies like us". My personal favorite comedy of all time.. HOPEFULLY it will get the special edition (and a new 16 x 9 transfer) someday.[​IMG]

14. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If it says "Formatted to fit your screen", I don't buy it- simple as that. The only ones I have indicating that are the ones included on the same disc with the correct version.
    I have a few pan-and-scan titles that aren't indicated as such on the covers though, from the now-defunct Simitar label- some Jackie Chan flicks and one called "Killer Inside Me", which I got for $5 each at Circus City- at the time I was surprised that anything could sell for that cheap, and since they're not labeled as pan-and-scan they don't count. [​IMG]

16. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I own:

Happy Gilmore
    Can't Buy Me Love
    Mr. Mom & Honeymoon in Vegas (from Pizza Hut)

I think that's it. I used to own the original A Christmas Story DVD, but sold it as soon as I heard the SE was coming out. Happy Gilmore was one of the first DVD's I bought (as a Christmas gift to my wife). At the time, I didn't realize that there were even any MAR releases--I thought all DVD's were released in OAR. Can't Buy Me Love was a must-have for both my wife and I, so I gave in on that one.

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Matt, both films are available in Widescreen in R4 if you're multi-regional. I own both in R4 versions.

18. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I picked up Ernest Goes To Jail out of nostalgia. Thankfully Goes to Camp is a nice anamorphic OAR transfer, and Saves Chrsitmas has a serviceable non-anamorphic OAR transfer.

I desposed of Goes To Jail pretty quickly. I possibly would have kept it, but the transfer is by far the worst transfer I have ever seen from a major studio, like it was taken from a fouth generation VHS dub. As hopelessly geeky as this sounds, I felt literal guilt the entire time that thing was on my shelf due to it being foolscreen.

19. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Buddy and The Great Muppet Caper, both of which came free in cereal.

20. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I got George of the Jungle to get my mother interested in DVD a few years back, because I wanted her to see the picture quality on a title she loved. I got it free with the Disney deal. Don't remember the specifics of that deal though. I have since sold it. It was one of the first few DVD's I had. My mother also bought Forever Young. It's the only DVD she has ever bought herself, and I have never watched it. I have bought her a bunch of widescreen movies that she likes, so she has plenty of OAR discs to watch.