What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anyone here using DirecTV DVR Media Share feature with a Mac? (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My DirecTivo box died recently and they replaced it with one of their newer DVRs (R22-100) that supports the "Media Share" function. The online documentation makes it sound like it only works with Intel Viiv software, but I understand from others that it works with Macs, too. Does anyone have any experience with this? What software did you use? Any pitfalls I can avoid?

I already have the DirecTV DVR hooked up to my DSL for On Demand and such, so I am really just trying to figure out how to set-up my iMac (Intel processor running OSX Leopard if that matters) - so that it will be recognized by Media Share for music and slideshows.

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
The DirecTV boxes work great with the Elgato Eyeconnect software on the MAC.

EyeConnect

You can download and install the trial verison for free. After a few days...any of the video features will stop working without authorizing the program, but the audio streaming of MP3 and aiff files continues to work great for free for anyone.

Many video files for the MAC are of course saved as QT (.mov) files and the DirecTV box does not like that container format. So...if you are wanting to stream video files...you will have to convert and store them on the MAC as a Divx file (.avi).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm told that the DirecTV box works with mpeg 2 (and possibly mpeg4) files as well, although it can be finicky about file names (e.g. .ts files may have to be re-named .mpg or something like that). In any case, I would be using it primarily for music and photos.

Thanks!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have it working, although my DVR has twice frozen and had to be reset while streaming material.

Even though it is not my main interest, does anyone have a comprehensive list of video file formats, codecs, and naming conventions accepted by the DirecTV DVRs with media share? I have confirmed that MPEG-2 transport stream files with an extension of either "mpg" or "mpeg" will work.

Regards,

Rod Dean

Auditioning
Real Name
Rod Dean

Care to share your setup?

My HR22-100 is setup to access the internet and OnDemand services. All is well vis-a-vis the network connection (AirPort Extreme). I have a MacBook running Tiger (10.4.11), connected wirelessly via my AirPort network, which sports the EyeConnect mediashare server. On the Mac's System Preference pane, EyeConnect sees and identifies the "DirectTV Mediashare Renderer" at the IP address reported on the HD22-100 Network menu. However, the "Music Photos and More" menu item does not appear in the menu. Is there some sort of port routing or assignment, or firewall setting I need to further configure?

I did try to plug the MacBook into the AirPort router so there was a physical connection with the HR22 and still no "spontaneous" recognition of the EyeConenct server.

Any help would be appreciated as to your exact setup.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My home wireless is through a very basic Netgear wireless G router that I had with my PC before I replaced it with an iMac. I have to "bootcamp" into Windows when I want to reconfigure it. The DVR is hooked up to a Linksys Dual-Band Wireless N Adapter. My iMac is a relatively new one running Leopard. My access to the "Music, Photos, and More" is somewhat spotty, and I occasionally have to turn the Eyeconnect software on and off to get the DVR to recognize it.

Conclusion: The "Media Share" feature is not quite ready for prime time, but fun when it works.

Rod Dean

Auditioning
Real Name
Rod Dean
THanks. My guess is that you are correct and likely Eyeconnect is not compatible with the HR22-100 and Tiger. I think Leopard adds a number of enhancements that Eyeconnect exploits and indeed they recommend Leopard.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Found this thread and perhaps you can answer this question...

My friend has a DirecTV DVR and he wants to transfer recorded
shows to his MAC and then record it to a DVD.

I am certain the DVR has an ethernet port out.

MediaShare is mentioned here as is EyeConnect. What can be
used here for the intended purposes?

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens

Sorry, discussion of this sort is prohibited by the forum owner ;). Seriously, I have an old DirecTiVo, and in order to transfer files from it you have to do some serious hacking of the machine. I don't think the current DTV models make it any easier, if it is even possible. Transferring shows from a DVR to a computer in the same quality as it was broadcast is generally forbidden, with the exception of OTA recordings, as those are unprotected to begin with. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.)

-Christian

tc13rn

Auditioning
Real Name
tina cunningham
Christian,

If you are saying that this discussion needs to stop due to getting off of legal use of ex. Directv Well, direct tv has full internet connectivity..I had to hook up my dvr to even be able to use my remote for on demand shows.

Direct tv NOW offers what the guest was asking about..but for PCs..(at this time). So, there is no infringement of legal reasons direct tv..they freely allow streaming from dvr to computer..just PCs right now as they haven't gotten to Macs as yet.
The debate of watching same quality as original service on computers..well it is already being done..people watch on their silly iPhones and such..so this example of directv to pc is very elementary in regard to what the technology world is doing.

Slingbox Pro you can watch from your dvr from anywhere. TV, cable and satellite are needing to keep up their technology as the younger ones do not sit in front of television sets to watch media..for the majority and the current ability to view service in which you already pay out a good sum is just what they are doing because they have to get the younger generation..20 somethings and less..

Now copyright laws, etc. As far as I know, unless you use media outside of your own use..do not sell or distribute..it is not illegal.

Mac users need to contact Direct tv and let them know that they need to get on the computer wave as Mac users are plenty and actually are more likely to seek and use service of viewing media on their DVRs via internet..to pc.

tc13rn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks