What's new

Anyone had problems with spyware? (1 Viewer)

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Ive been having problems with contant popups recently where the ads on the popups arent remotely related to the site im at. I later found out that this is spyware called "CYDOOR" and it is installed with programs like iMesh, and although i havent found any sites that say this I'm sure it is installed with Kazaa too, because when i deleted all cydoor instances from my system Kazaa said I had removed files that Kazaa needed to run.
http://www.cexx.org/cydoor.htm
Make sure you haven't got it to prevent annoying popups, and btw these popups were oblivious to the various anti popup programs.
Aaron

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried Ad-Aware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/index.html
It seems to have a good nose for sniffing out these things. The latest version claims to be able to find and eliminate Cydoor. AND IT'S FREE :emoji_thumbsup:
If you haven't used it, and are interested, be sure to download the companion program "RefUpdate 1.1" which autoupdates the signature files. The Ad-Aware v5 product download has old sig files that would not catch Cydoor.
I have been using this for a while, and it has done an excellent job of eliminating many diffeent "spywares" from my PC.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
About a month ago i installed adaware and it has sniffed out and deleted multiple spyware programs on my cpu including cydoor. Ive set adaware to ignore WINDOWSSYSTEMcd_clint.dll because without that file KaZaA won't run.

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
About a month ago i installed adaware and it has sniffed out and deleted multiple spyware programs on my cpu including cydoor. Ive set adaware to ignore WINDOWSSYSTEMcd_clint.dll because without that file KaZaA won't run.
Then what's the point of running software to get rid of spyware :)
If you're looking for a good file sharing program, try WinMX. Nice program, no spyware (that I know of).
Peter

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
My God, I've been following the links associated with spyware AND mail advertisment. I get ALOT of junk mail, and only now see just how unscrupulous these people are! But it takes so much work just to get of a list!

And this Cydoor or whatever. I've noticed that I've been getting more and more pop-ups lately -- some of it VERY odd. I attributed them to the website that I'd been visiting. This may not be the case!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
In my opinion, spyware is basically a virus, the only difference being that the infection is deliberate.

I'm hoping anti-virus software adds optional spyware detection/blocking/removal in the future.

In the meantime, personal firewalls such as ZoneAlarm or Norton Internet Security will help you isolate spyware/adware and at least prevent it from accessing the internet.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
If you like Kazaa, try MORPHEUS. SAME PROGRAM!! same servers. Except Morpheus doesnt have Spyware.

And yes, Get that Ad-Aware program. It does wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks