What's new

Another Compuer Error... Cannot find GMT.EXE?? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I installed a download resume program, I beleive it was Gator, and rememebered that the thing had loads of spyware. After I was down, I immediatly removed it, downloaded Ad Aware, found I had 14 Spyware peices on my machine. I removed them, but it wouldn't let me remove four.

I looked at the file names, and saw one that was running in my Task Manager. I cancelled it, reran AdAware, and it let me remove the files. I had no reason to restart my computer, untill I had to install a new program. When I started it, my computer started up a bit slower, and this error message started to pop up

"GMT.EXE

"This Application failed to start because EGNESENGINE.dll was not found. Re-installing the application

may fix this problem"

Is this part of the Spyware that is still loading? My computer runs fine without it, so it apparently isn't an essential program. If anyone can help me get rid of this error message, it'd be most appreciate...

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Whatever this executeable is for, I have it on my machine

as well. And AdAware did not pick it up as spy ware.

The Directory Location is C:WindowsSystem32dllcache

and C:WindowsSystem32wbem

13Kb Application File

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
gmt.exe is Gator, do a google search for it and you'll see.
Very often programs, spyware or not, do not remove all their components, leaving traces of themselves behind.
If your quite paranoid about spyware I think you should spoof your MAC address and IP.
You could use a smoothwall firewall to spoof MAC, if you were really determined.
smoothwall.co.uk

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
The error is popping because gator is trying to launch as windows starts up. There are a couple of different locations where you'll want to check for this to disable it. Which version of windows are you running?

T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks