Another Compuer Error... Cannot find GMT.EXE??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Mar 14, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I installed a download resume program, I beleive it was Gator, and rememebered that the thing had loads of spyware. After I was down, I immediatly removed it, downloaded Ad Aware, found I had 14 Spyware peices on my machine. I removed them, but it wouldn't let me remove four.

I looked at the file names, and saw one that was running in my Task Manager. I cancelled it, reran AdAware, and it let me remove the files. I had no reason to restart my computer, untill I had to install a new program. When I started it, my computer started up a bit slower, and this error message started to pop up

"GMT.EXE

"This Application failed to start because EGNESENGINE.dll was not found. Re-installing the application

may fix this problem"

Is this part of the Spyware that is still loading? My computer runs fine without it, so it apparently isn't an essential program. If anyone can help me get rid of this error message, it'd be most appreciate...

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

gmt.exe is Gator, do a google search for it and you'll see.
    Very often programs, spyware or not, do not remove all their components, leaving traces of themselves behind.
    If your quite paranoid about spyware I think you should spoof your MAC address and IP.
    You could use a smoothwall firewall to spoof MAC, if you were really determined.
    smoothwall.co.uk

3. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

The error is popping because gator is trying to launch as windows starts up. There are a couple of different locations where you'll want to check for this to disable it. Which version of windows are you running?

T