Anybody Else Infected With This "Global-Finder" Parasite?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Von Pein, Sep 12, 2003.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I did a search for this, but found nothing in the HTF archives.

Has anyone (within the last few weeks) had problems with their IE browsers operating very slowly and sluggishly?

Plus: Have you suddenly found, upon starting up your computer, that your Homepage was magically changed without your consent?

I had these difficulties and it was driving me batty!!! [​IMG]

Finally found the culprit. .... Seems that a site called Global-Finder.com (some kind of search engine from the fiery depths of PC Hell!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]) has felt free to just start invading people's computers every 24 hours (usually happens on re-boots) and attaching all kinds of spyware crap on your hard drive(s), slowing your browser to a crawl! And they make their site your homepage! Annoying as all get out. Or, as my mom might say with feeling: "Of all the nerve!!"

An interesting, and brazen, set of gonads on these people @ Global-Finder.com, to not only insert the spyware (slowing your computer), but then on top of that, having the gall to replace your desired homepage with THEIR OWN, making it fairly obvious who the bad guys are in this infection/worm/virus/et al!! [​IMG]

Boy, is this damn "Global Finder.com Hijacking" annoying!

But, thanks to the many FREE software spyware downloads, you can keep the darn Global-Finder annoying invasion from re-occurring.

I've used Ad-Aware & SpyBot at least 15 times each to try & rid my PC of this doggone POS thing!! *arggggggggghhhhhhhhh!*

But it kept re-setting the homepage every 24 hours. Someone on another forum claims it's set up to "reinfect" exactly every 24 hours. Sounds about right too.

It gets in on re-boots & then proceeds to slow your IE browser to an absolute crawl! How annoying is that!!?? (VERY, I dare say...esp. with these HT Forum sites, when scrolling l-o-n-g pages of text/images. It really slows down Forum pages, and text-box writing.)

Hopefully, these a**-holes from Global-Finder.com (whatever the hell that is) will be run out of town on a rail very soon!

FYI.......If anybody's still having trouble wiping out this dreaded homepage-hijacking parasite/worm, here's some additional information that may prove very handy, including a really nice FREE download, StartPageGuard, which "locks" your homepage, so Global-Finder, or any other unwanted site, can't just get in and "take over" your homepage and your system. .........

Start Page Guard

Info & Help re. "Global-Finder parasite"

2. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Man, that sucks. If you're still having trouble, you might want to try unplugging your internet connnection and ebooting into safe mode (can XP still do that?), then running spybot from there. Can't hurt to do a full virus scan while you're in safe mode, too.
    That helped a lot when I did it for my dad's computer (win2k).

Cheers,

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You run a firewall?

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

If it's recent, did you get the newest AdAware reference file, which was posted today, from Lavasoft? Maybe they've caught it by now.

The question also must be asked, have you considered using any browser OTHER than IE?

5. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

I'm glad you got rid of it. You are aware, of course, that a man named Dickman may be the responsible party.

6. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

David,

I noticed something similar today on my desktop PC. My homepage was changed to a site in Germany, and my IE would timeout when attempting to connect. A "netstat -a" command showed some activity on a port either attempting to connect with, or getting info from, some site like "akamistechnologies.com," but I couldn't find it.

I ran the latest AdAware and SpyBot updates yesterday, followed by my normal Friday virus scan and got this thing today. I have a hardware firewall in my Netgear router, so I have no idea how this happened. I had to choose "Stop" when IE was trying to connect, then go into "Tools-->Internet Options-->Homepage" and redesignate my preferred homepage.

Until I did a system reboot, the activity still showed up in the netstat command window though I had my homepage back. Following reboot, everything seems OK. Oh yes, I did do the latest Microsoft patch a couple days ago (or whenever it came out).

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I'm surprised no one else here has suffered from this 'Global' infestation.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to get rid of (thank goodness).

8. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

David,

Thanks for the link. Doing a little more searching, I found that the company shown in my netstat command is a marketing/tracking service for e-commerce sites. I'm looking to get their stuff off my PC. Have a good one.

9. Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet Stunt Coordinator

Started a post last week or week before on "Not using Internet Explorer".

SPYWARE