What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anyone excited for Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie? (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I'd probably get the Jeannie set but I can't get too excited about something that won't be released until 2005.

John KB

Second Unit
Jeannie all the way!! I've never been a big fan of Bewitched.
As for colorized, like I said about the Gilligan's Island set, I think it would be great to have the option. I thought I Dream of Jeannie looked great colorized. Much better than Gilligan's did.
I think these 60s shows just look better in color, regardless of how they were shot.
I realize the set would be more expensive if it included both options, but for Jeannie, it's only one season, so I'd pay the extra.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Never been too big a fan of "Jeannie" but would buy "Bewitched" for sure. Colorized, I'd rather not, but I love the show so much I'd probably go with it.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I'm there for the early seasons of "Bewitched." The black-and-white episodes had a more sophisticated, screwball-comedy feel than the later seasons (perhaps due to the producer of the first season, Danny Arnold, who later created Barney Miller). I wonder if it would be possible to include a no-laugh-track soundtrack a la M*A*S*H. Probably not.

"Jeannie" doesn't interest me, but then I was never a fan of the show's creator, Sidney Satan -- I'm sorry; Sidney Sheldon.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I would love
to see BEWITCHED on DVD.

Several years ago, Nick at Nite had
a poll...
"Who would win in a fight?
Jeannie or Samantha???"
Samantha won by a landslide...
of course.
:)

BEWITCHED is in my top 3 shows
of all times (the other two being I LOVE LUCY
and THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW).

What has always impressed me
was the calibre of actors, especially in
supporting roles, on this series (Agnes Moorehead,
Maurice Evans, Alice Pearce, etc),
and writers like the Tony award
winning Bernard Slade.

The Columbia House vhs versions
were not always well chosen, or presented.
I hope the dvds are better.

John KB

Second Unit
Hey Jefferson, first of all it wasn't a fight, and second of all, it wasn't a landslide, just so you know. :)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I will be buying both Bewitched & I Dream Of Jeannie on DVD. These are 2 excellent shows from the golden age of Television.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I think they might be considering releasing the first and second seasons of BEWITCHED in colorized form on DVD in the US. (If you have feelings on this matter, you might want to let Columbia know how you feel.)

The Japanese DVD box sets are colorized, and include a 20 minute interview with the guy in charge of the colorization project.

The sets include the original English dialog, Japanese dubbing option, as well as subtitle options in both languages. The original Japanese opening title sequence is presented as an extra.

Strangely, the sets are not quite complete, as there are 2 missing episodes from each season!

The sets are NTSC Region 2.

Season Three (shot in color so no colorization issue) is due out in Japan this month, and from the specs, it appears it is also missing at least 2 shows.

The colorized episodes have been shown on the Hallmark Channel in the US (as were color versions of the first season of JEANNIE) and they are about the best examples of the technology I've seen, but I still prefer to have the original B/W versions on DVD, and ALL episodes in season sets!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
So I didn't see this thread when I first joined (which was around the time of the last post) but I thought I would throw in my two cents.

I was the David that sent in the info about the Japanese release of BW.

Since that time it's made known that Sony Japan has no plans for releasing seasons 4 - 8. Seasons 2 and 3 are coming out soon. That's sad that they couldn't just release the last two DY years.

The other problem with the Japanese release is that each of the seasons is missing two episodes for no apparent reason. That had better NOT happen on the US releases.

Those people that I know that got these Japanese sets say the picture is wonderful, you can watch them in the original English with no subtitles.

I would hope they wouldn't colorize them for the US release. Hopefully, like others have said, the colorized episodes would be an option, but knowing how Columbia has released their other shows, I'm not expecting it. If they are colorized I'll still pick it up but that's only if they have every episode and that includes the two remake episodes in the second season that are essentially first season episodes but with a different opening scene.

As for as IDOJ goes, I will also pick that one up. Hopefully they could get Larry Hagman, Barbara Eden and Bill Daily in there for some commentary.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
One other quick note, on the Sony Japan site they have clips of the menus from the first season. They are really cool and I hope they do something similar for the US release.

They are located here at Sony Japan. Scroll down until you see the numbered disc pictures and click on them. It's very cool.:emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
BEWITCHED Season 2 (colorized) and Season 3 (shot in color) are already out in Japan.

The sets include the original English soundtrack as well as a Japanese dubbed track. Subtitles in either language are optional.

I agree, any US release needs to include all episodes and seasons 1-2 should include the original B/W versions. They can always include the colorized versions as well.

I have to admit, the colorization on these is quite good. In some scenes, it would fool most people into thinking it was real.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I would like to buy both of these sets, unfortunately, I have yet to see any "great" DVD sets released by Columbia Tri-Star. Every TV show I've seen so far that they have released on DVD either show alot of artifacts, pixelation, graininess, looks like 2nd or 3rd generation, and/or have little or no extras. I hope they get their act together or word will leak out that they're DVD distribution department stinks! While other companies' shows like Dick Van Dyke look great and have tons of extras, their release of shows like Barney Miller or Larry Sanders look really crappy. Will Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie be next? It'll be interesting to see how they handle the release of Seinfeld later next year, if that set looks bad too, I wouldn't count on these 2 being any better. Time will tell.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just read over at tvshowsondvd.com about a 'trusted source' who went to presentation given by Columbia Tristar that included previews of the Seinfeld DVD. I was wondering, though, if at that same presentation if anything was said/shown about BW and IDOJ?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This doesn't have anything to do with the Columbia presentation, but Barbara Eden said on Larry King this week that she "supposedly" will have a part in a new Jeannie movie that is being made.

Big screen crappy remake = TV on DVD tie in.

Nothing was said about DVDs though nor were any details given on the movie. Her appearance was in tribute to Tony Randall.

Steve

LizH

Second Unit
My vote would go to Lisa Kudrow
Can't see her ... WAAAAAAY too tall.

I hope they release the two TV-movies (I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years Later and I Still Dream of Jeannie.)

IMO, the second film is better than the first (I liked the kidnapping of Tony Jr. subplot.)

I HATED the ending ... painfully OOC for Jeannie. :frowning: When Jeannie is enraged, she has the power to knock someone into the middle of next week -- LITERALLY.

Suffice to say, that did not happen in ISDoJ. :angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just read over at tvshowsondvd.com about a 'trusted source' who went to presentation given by Columbia Tristar that included previews of the Seinfeld DVD. I was wondering, though, if at that same presentation if anything was said/shown about BW and IDOJ?
No. Only subject was Seinfeld.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Thanks David.

I wish I were on the production team so I wouldn't have to wonder what's going on with them.

BTW, since this thread began the roles of Endora and Maurice have been cast. Shirley Maclaine will play Endora and Michael Caine will play Maurice. Kristin Chenoweth, who is Glinda in the musical "Wicked", will play nosy neighbor Marie...yes, I said Marie and not Gladys...it makes me ill...I sure hope this movie doesn't turn out to be cheesy. I have high hopes for it considering they got three Oscar winning actors/actresses to be in it.

Erin Murphy (Tabitha) just posted on a BW Board after we had been talking about her making an appearance in the movie, that she hasn't been contacted to make a cameo. I sure hope they have her in the movie as a nod to the original.

Most of all though...I JUST WANT THE DVDS NOW!!:b

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I am more looking foward to the DVD's than the movie.

I am not a fan of updated movies of classic shows or reunion specials. Most end up horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.