What's new

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Speaking of which Desilu Playhouse would probably make a great DVD release .

It would-- that all-in-one DVD of The Untouchables (the original 1959-63 ABC series w/Robert Stack) has the pilot of it, but as the theatrical version The Scarface Mob; the original CBS version would be great to have (all there is of that Desilu Playhouse broadcast [brought out over two weeks, as I recall] is the openings w/introductions by Desi Arnaz and Walter Winchell).

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I was lucky to visit the Warner Bros. Ranch on two occasions. It was truly a "Twilight Zone-like" experience for me to walk around the old classic TV neighborhood i grew up watching. It felt like I was being transported inside my TV set. Naturally, I was very sad when I heard this news. The Bewitched fan fare group is planning one last visit to the Ranch before it is demolished.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I was lucky to visit the Warner Bros. Ranch on two occasions. It was truly a "Twilight Zone-like" experience for me to walk around the old classic TV neighborhood i grew up watching. It felt like I was being transported inside my TV set. Naturally, I was very sad when I heard this news. The Bewitched fan fare group is planning one last visit to the Ranch before it is demolished.
We need Antenna TV to get as many stars from shows that filmed there to do a reunion on the ranch and film air it

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sad news for those of us who love movie and TV history. I've been on the lot many times, the last time two months ago for a costume fitting for the "new" Perry Mason. I always enjoyed walking around the lot and exploring.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Screenshot_2022-06-10-17-25-57-1.png

Here's the census episode!

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
More Hollywood history being erased. The Columbia/Warner Ranch was not only home to some of TV's most iconic homes, but the ranch was the go to place for so many commercials as well as music videos.

I always wanted to be able to visit this place and have my picture taken in front of both the Bewitched and I Dream Of Jeannie houses. I guess this means I better work on getting to LA in the next couple of years as who knows what backlot might go next. Universal wouldn't dare bulldoze the iconic Bates House for more soundstages, would they?
The Bates House is safe. Its a rather important feature of the Universal Studios amusement park back lot tour. Still up on the hill. Though I think its only a front and side facade.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
There is no way they could redo the plan to save those iconic houses

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
We need Antenna TV to get as many stars from shows that filmed there to do a reunion on the ranch and film air it
Great idea! Sadly, a lot have passed away, but we still have Barbara Eden (Jeannie), Shirley Jones & the remaining Partridge kids, Mickey Dolenz (the Monkees), Erin Murphy (Bewitched), Sally Field (Gidget and the Flying Nun), Jay North (Dennis the Menace), Paul Peterson and Shelly Fabares (Donna Reed), and the kids from Father Knows Best.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Great idea! Sadly, a lot have passed away, but we still have Barbara Eden (Jeannie), Shirley Jones & the remaining Partridge kids, Mickey Dolenz (the Monkees), Erin Murphy (Bewitched), Sally Field (Gidget and the Flying Nun), Jay North (Dennis the Menace), Paul Peterson and Shelly Fabares (Donna Reed), and the kids from Father Knows Best.
I sent Antenna tv a message -- Maybe Mr F at Warners who loves history could make it happen

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The feasibility of backlots has been in question ever since the late 1970's and the demolition of the two best backlots in the biz - belonging to MGM and 20th Century-Fox. Then, as now, dollars have spoken over cultural preservation. Sad, but a reality nonetheless.

In Kevin Browlow's documentary Hollywood: A History of the Silent Movie, Browlow astutely comments that the Hollywood of 'today' bears no earthly resemblance to the paradise of its forefathers - nor, does it choose to regard its past in any sort of preservationist's way. That was in the early 1980's. The modus operandi of Hollywood since has only continued to fall apart.

One need only look at the loss of Debbie Reynold's life's work, her formidable collection of props auctioned off a few years ago, and now her personal effects and that of Carrie Fisher going on the chopping block to know where the focus remains - on quick cash, and the dissemination of Hollywood history into the hands of private collectors, the only people qualified to curate and cherish the past.

At least, through them, some survival is possible.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The feasibility of backlots has been in question ever since the late 1970's and the demolition of the two best backlots in the biz - belonging to MGM and 20th Century-Fox. Then, as now, dollars have spoken over cultural preservation. Sad, but a reality nonetheless.

In Kevin Browlow's documentary Hollywood: A History of the Silent Movie, Browlow astutely comments that the Hollywood of 'today' bears no earthly resemblance to the paradise of its forefathers - nor, does it choose to regard its past in any sort of preservationist's way. That was in the early 1980's. The modus operandi of Hollywood since has only continued to fall apart.

One need only look at the loss of Debbie Reynold's life's work, her formidable collection of props auctioned off a few years ago, and now her personal effects and that of Carrie Fisher going on the chopping block to know where the focus remains - on quick cash, and the dissemination of Hollywood history into the hands of private collectors, the only people qualified to curate and cherish the past.

At least, through them, some survival is possible.
It raises the question why there isn't some kind of giant Hollywood Smithsonian-type museum to preserve and show off the decades of movie/TV props, sets, vehicles, costumes, memorabilia, etc.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
It raises the question why there isn't some kind of giant Hollywood Smithsonian-type museum to preserve and show off the decades of movie/TV props, sets, vehicles, costumes, memorabilia, etc.
It does indeed, but Debbie Reynolds with her formidable collection of Hollywood artifacts tried to get anyone interested in buying up her history wholesale. Even the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences turned her down. It's sad. But Hollywood is of the 'here and now' ilk. Very myopic if you ask me. But true, nonetheless. You mentioned the Smithsonian, and it does contain a selection of props from film and TV that are archived and occasionally trundled out for display. But if Hollywood cannot see the fiscal profitability in an endeavor, they shy away from it. And while a museum of the kind you described would be my nirvana too, the sad reality is that as the years wear on, the younger generation wouldn't even know or care from whence all these artifacts hailed.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
But Hollywood is of the 'here and now' ilk. Very myopic if you ask me.

For the most part-- however, if I'm not mistaken, some stars of today have reflected the older Hollywood in their makeup and costumes for award shows, for one thing (one of my favorite stars, Joey King, being one of them).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is a shame. But they’re not touching the lot that is part of the WB studio tour? That one includes the exterior of Gotham City Police Headquarters from the 1966 Batman. That might be too much to bear.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
For the most part-- however, if I'm not mistaken, some stars of today have reflected the older Hollywood in their makeup and costumes for award shows, for one thing (one of my favorite stars, Joey King, being one of them).
when i spoke with billy gray he fondly remembered the mornings in the make up dept when he would see the cast of dennis the menace - the donna reed show etc

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It does indeed, but Debbie Reynolds with her formidable collection of Hollywood artifacts tried to get anyone interested in buying up her history wholesale. Even the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences turned her down. It's sad. But Hollywood is of the 'here and now' ilk. Very myopic if you ask me. But true, nonetheless. You mentioned the Smithsonian, and it does contain a selection of props from film and TV that are archived and occasionally trundled out for display. But if Hollywood cannot see the fiscal profitability in an endeavor, they shy away from it. And while a museum of the kind you described would be my nirvana too, the sad reality is that as the years wear on, the younger generation wouldn't even know or care from whence all these artifacts hailed.
If such a museum were ever built, it would need to have dynamic exhibitions that are regularly refreshed to add in recent stars/productions that teens would know.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If such a museum were ever built, it would need to have dynamic exhibitions that are regularly refreshed to add in recent stars/productions that teens would know.
Father Knows Best House the guy in front runs the great FKB site! Has scripts TV Guides etc Contracts http://fatherknowsbest.us/about-us/ Magazines etc Amazing that tree on the right is in tons of FK best episodes!

Attachments

• 1655065337826.png
    1655065337826.png
    377.7 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks