What's new

Anyone else remember which side is which for dual-sided DVD? (1 Viewer)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I guess I don't have enough of them. I get it wrong more than 50% of the time. The label is for the opposite side. I really have to remember that. Logic always tell me that the side being read is where the side info should be so that side A WS label should be at the bottom if you want to watch WS since the laser reads that side.

I know it's trivial but bugs me because I'm too dumb to get it right :D.

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
Just think of it like the label encompasses the whole disc, like regular non-double sided discs are. With other discs, you don't put the label facing down.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Laserdiscs are labelled the same way (except for a few industrial discs made for a weird player that read with the laser on the top).

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Yeah that used to get me until I figured that the general public might not know well enough to think about laser placement and yada yada, so there'd be way too much thinking for them to put the label on the side that goes down. I dunno, maybe it's just me that thinks this, who knows..

Mike

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

Good thinking MIke.

I retract. I'm not stupid, but just above average Joe. I need to think more like an average Joe :D.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Hasn't anybody noticed some studios actually "solved" this little problem by labeling only one side of dual sided discs?

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Hey I have a DVD of this nature where Side A is the side that says Side A

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Northern Exposure is like that. Frustrating and confusing, especially because they didn't number the episodes in the menus, so you don't know what order you're supposed to be watching them.

But that's been discussed at length elsewhere.

CDE,

CS

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
18 years as a CD and laserdisc consumer prepared me for the label indicating the program content on the other side of the disc. :)

Regards,

John Watson

Screenwriter
There is a bit more space for indicating which side is which than the makers use.

I think I've seen a few recently where the lettering is a bit more visible.

I think we can actually safely mark the side you want (OAR, natch) with the same type of pen you use for CD-R-s, but put the mark in the hub of the disk, not the playing area

But its like anything, close one door to stupidity and someone will open another.

Take the amazing variety of spindles to hold these disks in place - do they have a lab full of folks whose job it is to come upw ith another hard-to-use one?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
On my copy of "Air Force One" you have to put the Widescreen label face down for the WS version to play. Was a bit nervous for a few seconds when I saw "This film has been modified from its original version........"

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
It's a bit tricky, especially when the type is so darn small to begin with and placed in the center of the disc. But they'll usually classify their DVD-18's with "Side A" and "Side B". My DVDs of "Superman" SE, "T2" UE, and the first disc of "Dances With Wolves" SE are like that.

With the "Superman" DVD, Side 1 kicks in with the WB logo followed by the beautiful start-up menu. Side 2 kicks in with the WB logo, followed by the really crappy-looking FBI logo and warning on the blue screen (the latter two looking like they were pulled from a cheap VHS tape).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks