What's new

Any Sunfire Cinema Grand owners?? (1 Viewer)

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of getting an amp for my main system, I run a Klipsch RF-7/RC-7/RF-5 5.1 setup. I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX 53TX right now, and would use that as a pre-pro for the time being until I can get a better processor. What are your takes on the Cinema Grand 5x200? What type of sound does it give off? I will try to get a demo with the Klipsch and the Sunfire at my local dealer, but would like to know what to expect, bright, warm, dull, etc ahead of time :D

Thanks for any help!

Bob_Hitson

Agent
Real Name
Bob
I've been running an original Cinema Grand 5 x 200 since 1997 troublefree. Most recently with an Onkyo TX-NR801 as a preamp. They sound terrific together.

I'm using the current/voltage outputs for my MartinLogan SL-3s and it sounds terrific.

I've changed a lot of components since 1997 but I'm not even considering an amp change.

Nan H

Agent
i've used a sunfire amp for a few years, i have never had a problem with it, i've even ran it with a 2 ohm load for a while ( just some old speakers lying around, for fun). it has plenty of power on tap for almost any speaker you can throw at it, so klipsch speakers should be no problem for this amp since there usually quite efficient. the two output source's on the amp, current and voltage do change the sound a bit, at first you might not notice any difference between the two but with a little time listening to some good music you will quickly appreciate the sound quality from this amp.

IMO, on the voltage output you can expect a "brighter, faster" sound,and on the current output a "natural-like, warmer" sound

the RF-7 are bi-ampable so you could use both outputs, current for the highs and voltage for the lows (if i remember correctly... i think)

i personally use the current source for that "tube like" sound, its a little less harsh and a little softer for music. i know there are no tubes in this amp, it completely solid state.

i'm not "really" using my sunfire right now because i'm running all active speakers, mackie HR824

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback guys, I wasn't aware of the two output types, very cool!! :) I really like the bright crisp sound of my Elite with the Klipsch, so maybe the voltage output would be where I would start. I'm just so curious as to how it will sound compared to just the Elite powering them. A lot of people that run seperates say the sound is MUCH more full, better soundstage, more bass response from the RF-7's, etc. So I can only imagine at this point, but may go to my local dealer and "demo" one in my house :D If I like it, I will keep it, if not, return it no questions asked and be back to square one :)

Thanks again, keep them coming if there are more of you.

I've been torn between the Sunfire, Aragon or Rotel, just can't make up my damn mind, it's a lot of cash to spend and not be sure :D

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The "current" output is simply the voltage output with a 1-ohm resister in series with the load, with the result that the frequency response of the system is modified a bit. That means it ain't flat no more.

I owned a Sunfire Cinema Grand for a few years but sold it after I sold my surround system (don't ask) and no longer needed multi-channel amplification. It was powerful, reliable and ran incredibly cool. My only complaint was the "auto-on" feature; when the amp sits idle for a while, it switches to standby. In the presence of a signal, it switches on and I could hear the little click when it did so (probably didn't help that my equipment rack is only three feet from my seating position). Not much of a complaint, I just decided to be annoyed by it.

Although the Cinema Grand has good bass, my Crown Macro Reference had more and better bass. This is the only difference I have ever heard in my life between amplifiers.

I think that you'll be quite happy with the Cinema Grand.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Alan, and as for the click complaint, it doesn't really bother me, I like to know if it's turning on :D My Elite does that when it turns on, and I never let things sit idle long enough to let it go into standby mode, I will turn it off if I don't use it. It sounds like the Sunfire is a very reliable and powerful amplifier, which is what I would like to have. I haven't demoed anything, I love the way the Aragon looks, plus it's made by Klipsch, but have heard things have gone downhill with Klipsch making them, cheaper parts, etc.

Rotel has been a good amp I have heard, very well built, but some say their Sunfire match the RMB 1095 has noise issues, and some say it doesn't, the concensus here with Sunfire is it's great, no issues.

I may just have to try one of these bad boys out :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks