What's new

Any SCROOGE reviews yet...???? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think this was done to save space on the disc for the movie proper. Had they played the Overture over a series of stills, it's still encoded as a video file which takes up a ton of space. Over a still menu screen, only the audio takes up space leaving more room for a higher bitrate on the film-proper. I've learned so much since I started authoring my own DVDs at home. :D

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am not a fan of the idea of stills from the film played during the overture, and I remember RAH being irritated that they were included on, I think, the VHS version of Lawrence of Arabia when it was released widescreen for its ___ anniversary.

The films certainly didn't have film stills going when it played in theaters, so to have them on a DVD is not replicating the "theatrical experience."

My first choice would be a black screen, with my second choice being a shot of the intial title card for the film, as it was on the VHS of Scrooge.

Honestly, what Paramount has given us is a menu page that lets you know the DVD is not stuck in some weird mode, and offers you the option to play the overture, or merely skip to the chapter selections where you can just opt to use chapter one, and there you hit the openning credits.

I bought three copies, one for me, and the households of my neice and nephews. At the price point Paramount listed this, I was able to do so easily.

Personally, I am delighted with the picture quality, but I know I am not as picky as many in here. I just know this is an upgrade from my LD, and the fact that the menus are not motion menus means I can fall asleep to this film on DVD during the whole holiday season without being woken up to the main menu in a few hours.

This is the best present Paramount could give me. And to think I get Dragonslayer in a few weeks!!!

Mark

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
I had another look at this film last night, and I'm just bowled over by the clarity of the picture. I don't have a huge screen television, but the level of detail in some shots is amazing. Don't let my comments above put anyone off buying this DVD. I was being very picky.

I am not a fan of the idea of stills from the film played during the overture...
I would agree. I just wish they could have made the menu a bit less garish.

Roll on Christmas for a proper viewing....

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Words can hardly describe how ecstatic I am about this DVD. NO title has been more eagerly anticipated by me! The picture is beautiful (I have nary a complaint), and the sound is just fine. Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who made it possible, from HTF to the folks at Paramount!!!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
ARGH!! I checked more stores in NYC including Best Buy and no luck! 1/2 the time they think I want SCROOGED....
Then they look puzzled, then they find the Seymour Hicks version!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!
Tower records/video said they had 20 copies in but they were probably gonna keep them in the back until the XMAS stuff got wheeled out!!!!

Grrrr.....!!! I've waited so long and can't get it. Guess I'm gonna have to order it online.
DANG!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I never got the screener for this :frowning:

I'm probably gonna have to break down and order it, too. Can't find it around here.

-Scott

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Can't find it around here, either. Best Buy tells me they will get it closer to Christmas, to sell with their holiday promotion.

TonyDale

Second Unit
Paramount, if you're listening: THANK YOU VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH!!!!

Now, how about as great a dvd for LI'L ABNER?
(or am I pushing my luck?)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
"They say HAPPINESS is a thing you can't
see...a thing you cant touch...i disagree....."

Happiness is standing beside me,
with the release of SCROOGE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks