Any SCROOGE reviews yet...????

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Y'all! I know it's still a few weeks away, but who knows..??
    Ron? Didja get a copy yet...???

I'm DYING to know how it came out! 1 of my faves and I've been waiting too long!

[​IMG] D

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Paramount doesn't get screeners out really early...

I'm expecting it to show up in ten days or so.

-Scott

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    All the SCROOGE reviews should post starting
    11 days prior to street date as that is
    Paramount's current review policy.

I no longer review films for this site (Scott
    is now doing Paramount), but if the studio is
    reading this thread they could greatly benefit
    by sending me an early copy
    . If I like it, I'll
    be talking up this one for sure.

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Thanx, guys!

Can't wait....

[​IMG]

5. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    You mean "thank you very much."

sorry, couldn't resist [​IMG]

6. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

[​IMG] @ Barry

Yes Im waiting for this one too. I grew up watching this on TV or VHS. I dont even think ive ever seen it in widecreen. [​IMG]

This will be a treat.

7. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I recall seeing this at Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan, and it went over big with the audience--a happy memory. I can't wait to see it again on DVD.

[​IMG]

8. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Barry,

I only saw about 20 or so minutes of this in the theater because suppossedly I was so freaked out by the phantoms in the sky when Scrooge and Marley take flight that I ran screaming up the aisle of Radio City Music Hall ( I was 3...) and was chased by my dad and we had to leave! Can't wait to finally see the WHOLE film in it's OAR!

D

9. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

10. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Sounds good, according to that review.

Sadly, I have yet to receive a screener.

-Scott

11. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

The DVD does look great -- and I'm thrilled that they included the overture & exit music in 5.1, over the menus...a real nice touch, thank you very much [​IMG]

12. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    Dave:

That is a scary scene all right - and I was 16 at the time!

I haven't seen SCROOGE since it was on network TV, and they cut out an important scene with Alec Guinness which came between the Ghost of Christmas Future graveyard scene and Scrooge waking up in bed on Christmas morning. One more reason why I'm really looking forward to this release.

--Bill

13. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Dave:

That scene was scary, yes, but I was 14 at the time and somehow managed to get through it. [​IMG] However, the only movie I had to be removed from (while screaming) was at age six--THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT (1962)! Those Martians still look terrifying to me.

I also recall how network TV lopped out the second Marley appearance in SCROOGE. Bad, network, bad!!

14. Benjamin.D

Benjamin.D Stunt Coordinator

Those screenshots are beautiful!!!!!!! It'll be nice to have a pristine DVD version of this. I was really hoping it would include the Overture and exit music and I'm glad it did!! Thanks Paramount!!

Ben

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Thanx, Derek! Looks like it'll be great! Thank HEAVENS!!!! Yeah, at 3 years of age, it was a bit much! Also, Jaws at 7 was too intense too. Dracula '79, Salem's lot and eventually ALIEN on Beta!!!! were the first flicks I got through...

[​IMG] D

16. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I never even knew about the second Marley scene until I finally saw the film on VHS back in the '90s. Up to that point, I had only seen it on television. It was like getting an early Christmas present to see all the stuff they cut out! Later on when I got the widescreen LD it made it even better. Can't wait for the DVD. Great price, too.

17. Howard S

Howard S Stunt Coordinator

My copy arrived this morning and I've just had a quick look at a few of the DVD chapters. Here are my first impressions, which are probably quite subjective.

The overture music (and exit reprise of Thank You Very Much) is played over a modern-looking bright red sub-menu, which I thought out of keeping with the film. It would have been better if a more muted and 'period looking' screen design could have been used, which matched the tone of the film a bit better, and a fade in and out.

The title backgrounds flickered quite a bit, but I guess you should expect this for a film of this age. Once the title sequence was over, this disappeared.

The title music sounded compressed to my ears, but this could be the original recording.

Given the age of the film, I am pleased to say that I thought that the transfer looked excellent, although some of the colours, especially reds, looked oversaturated at times, or sometimes headed towards orange (e.g. the initial shots of Edith Evans' dress, and the Santa suit near the end).

Given that I have watched this film regularly each Christmas for many years, I've probably become accustomed to the colour balance and contrast in previous transfers, but my first impression is that some of the scenes looked slightly too bright/contrasty and warm in this transfer...I always associate Dickens' London with cold blue tones, muted colours and shadows, but some scenes in this transfer as well as being over-saturated, looked sort-of 'over colour-corrected', if that's possible. For instance, I'm sure that Marley's ghost always used to have a green glow, but now he appears blue/grey. As I say, perhaps I've got used to other, poorer transfers, and I need to get used to a version which has been properly colour corrected.

The soundtrack was very slightly out of sync, but I suppose this could be a player incompatability.

So, on first viewing, I've got mixed feelings about this DVD. The picture quality looks great, with the caveats above, which may be just me being over-picky. The sound is good for a film of this age.

In summary, it's great to have this title in widescreen after years of watching P&S versions, and the pros (great picture clarity, widescreen, improved sound) outweigh my perceived cons.

18. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I went to 9 DAMN stores in Manhattan today looking for this with no luck.... ARGH!!!!!!!!

19. Benjamin.D

Benjamin.D Stunt Coordinator

Howard S,

I'm very curious, what did you mean by bright red sub-menu?
    Are you referring to the actual menu of the disc or did you mean the Overture and Exit Music screens before and after the movie?

Thanks,
    Ben

20. Howard S

Howard S Stunt Coordinator

Unlike other musical DVDs I've seen, where the overture is made to look more like an integral part of the film by the use of a sequence of still frames from the film, or a single still which is sympathetic to the look of the film, which fades to black and then the film fades in, on this DVD the Overture (and Exit music) plays over a rather garish DVD menu. The transition between the music and the film is therefore rather abrupt.

On the main DVD menu you select the option (from memory) "Play Movie with Overture" (there is no option to play it without).

This then loads a sub-menu, which has two options (from memory) "Play Movie" (i.e. skip the overture, which starts to play automatically when this menu loads) and "Return to Main Menu". A cursor is positioned over the former option. It is over this sub-menu menu that the overture music plays.

When the overture music finishes, the DVD auto-selects the "Play Movie" option, (you can see the cursor change colour as if you had selected it manually), the sub-menu disappears abruptly, and the film starts.

Something similar happens at the end of the film, when you are 'dropped' abruptly into another DVD menu, which has an option like "Skip Exit Music/Main Menu".