What's new

The Freshman (1990) (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
This is my second most-wanted catalogue title after the 1970 version of Scrooge. I contacted Mill Creek last September, and it's not currently under consideration for Blu-ray. I've been seeing this on a few cable networks including Sundance and On Demand. I'm wondering how much longer? Anyone else as anxious to own this as I am?

Shame this was not sublicense to Twilight Time as I love the score (and the Sony DVD lacks any extras). I have yet to listen to the one for Sleepless in Seattle.

Not knowing how Mill Creek handles films with an 1.85:1 aspect ratio, I read a review for Duets and it is preserved, which bodes well for The Freshman.

Hoping this will get released.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Sadly I don't have any updates to share, but I did get the Sony DVD and was surprised to see the film's theatrical trailer included. Has Mill Creek been consistent in providing extras from pre-existing DVD releases on their Blu-rays?

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I see that this was released a few weeks ago. Unfortunately all of the reviews I found were negative.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Too bad this film is treated poorly, as it's really funny. Shout Factory would have been a better company to release it than Mill Creek.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mill Creek has released many quality Blu-rays from masters provided by Sony. Mill Creek is one of Sony’s licensing partner; there’s no reason to presume that the release will be inferior based on their involvement, nor is there reason to believe another label would automatically be better.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Mill Creek has released many quality Blu-rays from masters provided by Sony. Mill Creek is one of Sony’s licensing partner; there’s no reason to presume that the release will be inferior based on their involvement, nor is there reason to believe another label would automatically be better.
Shout would have gotten in touch with some of the actors to see if they would do commentaries an/or interviews. Mill Creek mostly skips features all together.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not necessarily. Depends on budget, projected sales, etc. They do plenty of releases that are just focused on extant material.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Not necessarily. Depends on budget, projected sales, etc. They do plenty of releases that are just focused on extant material.
Mill Creek is a bargain bin company. Once in awhile they might acquire a couple of worthwhile titles, but for the most it's stuff that has very small fan bases or something to give as a last minute gift to someone.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I've read the negative reviews, and having just watched it the other night, can attest to the fact that it looks like a VHS tape that has been directly transferred to Blu-ray disc. So the retro VHS outer sleeve artwork is totally appropriate.

This has always been one of my favorites, and I sincerely hope that it will get a much deserved Criterion treatment someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks