What's new

Any opinions on Hitachi 53UDX10B?!?! (1 Viewer)

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I am going after work to purchase the Hitachi 53UDX10B unless someone turns me away from it.

I would like to hear any and all good/bad things about this set, would really appreciate your input.

Thanks a lot

Matt

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Matthew, for what it's worth Consumer Reports rated the set NUMBER 1 in HD-Capable RPTV sets.
HITACHI 53UDX10B (Top Scoring 4:3 Set)
Picture Quality
Antenna/Cable Input: Very Good
S-Video Input: Very Good
Sound Quality: Excellent
Ease Of Use: Good
PIONEER SD-533HD5 (Top Scoring 16:9 Set)
Picture Quality
Antenna/Cable Input: Very Good
S-Video Input: Very Good
Sound Quality: Excellent
Ease Of Use: Fair
Sets that rated Antenna/Cable: GOOD S-Video Input: VERY GOOD
PANASONIC PT-47WX51 or PT-47WX49
Sets that rated Antenna/Cable: GOOD S-Video Input: GOOD
SONY KP-53HS20 or KP-53HS30
TOSHIBA HD 50H81 or HD 50H71
HITACHI 53UWX10B
SONY KP57HW40
PHILIPS 55PP9401
RCA HD65W20
MITSUBISHI WS-55809
Panasonic PT-51HX41
Panasonic PT-56WX51
SHARP 55R-WP4H or 55R-WP5H
Sets that rated Antena/Cable: GOOD S-Video Input: FAIR
SAMSUNG PCL5415R
SAMSUNG PCL545R
From CR Notes: Hitachi 53UDX10B
The top scorer among sets with a conventional (4:3) screen shape. Among the best performers with a progressive-scan DVD images. 52x46x26in. Optimum viewing height, 34 in., distance, 8ft.
For the picture quality ratings all sets were tested using regular tv signals not HDTV signals. As expected, all the HD-capable models fed an HD signal produced pictures that were superior to the best regular images, particularly in their fine-grained detail.
Sounds like you got a great set, hope you enjoy it :D

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Bill
This is great input, thanks a lot for your response. We actually went and bought this RPTV tonight, it was a toss up between this and the Sony KP51HW40.
Do you have ny input on the Sony by any chance? I can still change my mind until the other one is delivered on the weekend :).
Thanks a lot
Matt

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I really don't know much about RPTV's Just thought I'd post CR results for you, thought their rating of the Hitachi would make you happy. I would guess that the rating for the Sony 51 would be pretty much the same as the 57 in the ratings. Why don't you post another question about the Sony I'm sure you will get a lot of answers about it. Also you might want to check www.hometheaterspot.com under Hitachi for your set for tricks & tweeks & also try Sony while your there for info on that set. From what I've seen in the stores though, and I'm no expert, I always liked the Hitachi RPTV sets better than any of them. Again, I would try a new post on the Sony.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
This is what CR had to say about the Sony KP-57HW40

GOOD OVERALL

The best performer with HD images and among the best with progressive-scan DVD images. Performance slightly better with component inputs than S-Video inputs. Lacks selectable video noise reduction and automatic flesh-tone correction.

CR RECOMMENDATIONS:

Three HD-capable models topped the Ratings. The 53-inch HATICHI was among the best. Movie buffs should check out two wide-screen models: the 53-inch Pioneer, or the Toshiba 50H81. The Pioneer matches the Hitachi's picture quality, but it lacks auto convergence. The Toshiba's picture quality was a bit lower but fine, and it has auto convergence. The Sony 57-inch HW40 had the best HD images.

From what I get out of this is it all depends on what you are going to be using the set for. If you watch a lot of regular tv the Hitachi is going to be a lot better than the Sony but if you watch HDTV the Sony is going to be better but not by much.

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Bill

Thanks for all you're help. It looks as though it would be a better choice for me to stay with the Hitachi. Right now we won't be watching much if any HD until I pick up an HD satellite reciever, it will mostly be 4:3 satellite and DVD.

Thanks again

Regards,

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks