Hitachi 53UDX10B or Sony 51HW40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Perry, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

Looking for some opinions on which TV would be a better choice.

Any inout would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

2. Byron Miller

Byron Miller Auditioning

Whichever one you like better. They're both quality sets.

The Sony has a very shallow top though. It makes it difficult to support even a center channel speaker.

3. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

Well I chose the Hitachi, however I can still change my mind. It hasn't been delivered yet [​IMG].
    I Was just more less curious as to whether it would be smarter going with 16:9 as opposed to 4:3 although I guess it all depends on what you plan to watch on the TV.
    I would mostly be wtahcing Satellite and DVD, thats pretty much it, I don't have local cable (waste of money) soooo....
    Thanks for you're input.
    Regards,
    Matt

4. Byron Miller

Byron Miller Auditioning

My bad...I thought you were looking at the Hitachi UWX.

I would (and am) definately getting a 16x9 set. I'm planning on keeping my set for a good while, so I want to make sure that when 16x9 content is the majority, I'll be good.

I can deal with grey boxes or stretching if it means better quality in the future (and widescreen DVDs and video games now!).

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Matthew

I'm glad you stated what sources you use. The Hitachi 53UDX10B was top rated based on its performance with standard definition signals. I think regular satellite feeds are not HD, but standard definition.

Also, what aspect ratio are most of the satellite broadcasts in? 4:3 or 16:9 ?

What percentage of your watching is DVD vs. satellite?

Unless you watch an awful lot of DVD 4:3 may still be the better choice and the 53UDX10B gives the best picture quality with standard definition material.

The best 16:9 performer with standard definition material is the $3,500 Pioneer SD-533HDS.

Seems to me you have to decide whether to buy for current programming or for future programming.

Artie