What's new

Any news on Good Eats DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
I know I'm not the only Good Eats/Alton Brown devotee out there.

Ok, now before everybody chimes in that they're already out on DVD, I know this. BUT, there are quite a few 'foodies' and fans of the show who aren't purchasing these based on the cost and quantity/schedule of shows included. Being chastized by other foodies isn't a pleasant experience I care to relive.

They usually come in three DVD sets, each disk with three 30 minute shows, grouped together by theme (desserts, appetizers, beef, breakfast foods, etc.)

I purchased one set of these a long time ago. The second collection of three DVDs for $49.99. Now, since then, I've discovered that there are a significant number of fans of the show who are rather steamed at a few things and aren't purchasing these sets.

#1 - Shows grouped by theme from different seasons, as opposed to a consecutive season by season order.

#2 - The cost of $19.99 for each disk or $49.99 for the three pack of three/nine episodes of the 30 minute show. The general concensus has been 'why pay $50 bucks for 9 episodes of this, when I can get 16 half hour SouthParks or 45 half hour SportsNights for $10-15 less than those nine?'

Personally, I'd love to have good sets of Good Eats, done up season by season as well. But I've been swayed that I can simply TiVo (or tape) these as they appear and be satisfied for the time being. I'm wondering if anybody might have some insight as to why the large cost to purchase such relatively content-short disks?

Criterion (bless them), I understand the remastering, the high quality, the great extras, and am willing to pay a bit more, fine...

Then, there's SouthPark. Another basic cable station, like Food Network, who's putting out good relatively inexpensive sets of complete seasons - And doing a damn fine job of it, I might add. SPark began by putting out those old individual disks with the episodes for the first few releases, but seemed to wise up very quickly to what the public wanted.

I'm just wishing that Food Network would be able to take their cue from SouthPark for their bread-and-butter popular shows. (I can totally envision some Unwrapped, $40 a Day, Molto Mario, and Iron Chef season sets in the same vein)...

Ok, venting kinda over, but still would love to hear thoughts on why this is still being produced the way it is?

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Maybe they think the people who would buy Good Eats DVDs wouldn't mind paying that much. But surely that isn't it. What's the use of the show if you can't remember what to do?

It would be nice to get these, but they are quite expensive. It's a good show. I'd also like to get The Frugal Gourmet and Julia Child for nostalgia value :)

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

I'd be all over Iron Chef, but if the licensing for that series is anything like Godzilla has been, then it's going to be quite a trial.

You like $40 a Day? Well, it does take different strokes to move the world. :)

De

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
I TiVo Good Eats and watch it pretty regularly (lest my wife complain that I'm filling up the drive with 'em...), but yes, if the sets were more reasonably priced, I'd be all over it.

And Dewitte - don't be knockin' "$40 a Day". Rachael Ray. Hubba.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Not a huge fan of $40 a Day, but I have caught myself watching it occasionally for two reasons:

#1 - Rachel Ray - Yup, she's a cutie and so bubbly and sweet...

#2 - I feel like this can almost be a show that is the bastard child of Food Network and the Travel Channel. When visiting Paris, or Savannah, GA, or Boston, it seems as much to me about the traveling and sites and regional food as anything. I DO find that part interesting...

Doubt I'd get sets of this series myself, but I do know people who would!!!!

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

I really like that show because it combines two of my favorite things - eating and travelling.

I have a love/hate relationship with Thirty Minute Meals, though. RayRay drives me up the wall with her giggly/Up With People tone but when I catch the show I can't change the channel. It's like I've been hypnotized.

Must be the cool retro kitchen.

Or the boobs.

And this coming from a gay man (yes, gay men can be hypnotized by boobs).

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Season sets of Good Eats would be the thing my wife would run to in the event of a fire. We've been waiting because we're not about the pay that price for a handful of episodes on DVD. But if they ever get around to complete season sets, we'll be there. Until then, we're just picking them up on the TiVo.

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought the blue sets of good eats (6 , I believe) and I'm waiting for the 3rd series to be sent. ( also ordered an iron chef hat that was back ordered so I have to wait for my dvd's as well). I would also buy the season sets. I tivo alll good eats programs but never keep them after viewing. (you can only watch "The man show" so many times.) I'd love to watch the ice cream show again and so many others that are just plain funny.

I like $40. a day...especially in Hawaii. Love those swimsuits!

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Sorry to bump a six year old thread, but at least it's for a very good reason!

Target stores and Target.com are now selling Good Eats: The Complete First Season and Good Eats: The Complete Second Season. The price is presently $16.99 and appears to be the regular price.

I picked these up at a local store and can confirm that they are indeed complete. The first season contains all 13 regular episodes plus the one-hour "Romancing the Bird" special that aired with season one. The second season contains all 14 episodes plus, oddly enough, the sixth season one-hour special, "Down & Out in Paradise." Why they jumped ahead with the specials is unknown, but welcome. Each set also contains Good Eats mini-episodes as bonus features.

http://www.target.com/Alton-Brown-Good-Eats-Target/dp/B003CJAYEI/

http://www.target.com/Alton-Brown-Good-Eats-Target/dp/B003CJELJC/

Of course, this had to happen less than a year after I finally dropped a lot of cash on the volume releases, having given up on waiting for season sets. Once again, I am taught a valuable lesion about never buying volume releases... Maybe I'll actually learn this time (probably not)...

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
DON'T APOLOGIZE FOR BUMPING THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for this wonderful information. I have been waiting a very long time for season sets.

I'll be running out tomorrow to pick these up. Awesome news, and a great price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks