What's new

any laserdisc titles still worth owning? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
My son, who is nearly two, goes to the LaserDisc shelf and makes requests -- usually he selects big, colourful boxes. Today he asked for the big red CAV Pinocchio box, and we're watching it right now.

On a 52 inch standard definition set (which I bought because I have an extensive collection of 4:3 material on LD -- it'd surely all look pretty bad on a good sized HD set) it looks great. Probably on a higher resolution set there would be evidence of filtering to remove dirt and grain and such, but on my SD set it looks phenomenal. I hadn't watched it in three years or so, not since getting the new TV.

I'm blown away -- this doesn't look like a transfer from over a decade ago. Razor sharp! Noiseless! And no compression artifacts.

Just beautiful.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

The current DVDs contain all of the trailers on the Definitve box set, but not on the 97 SEs. Specifically, the Empire and Jedi SE trailers are not included....

Now, the trailers on the Definitive box set are among the worst (condition) I have ever seen, on any medium, and the DVDs do greatly help that...

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

It depends on what movie, what player one use, what screensize, and what preferences one have.

For me with a taste for non-hollywood blockbuster, with both a HLD-X0 and HLD-X9 connecting them to a Ruby, sitting x1,2 from the screen, and would prefer some few analog artifacts over MPEG2 artifacts, there is a lot of LD's I still prefer.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
For the record, I am using "only" a Pioneer CLD-59, AC-3 via a Yammy demodulator, on a 65" screen, sitting at about 2x the screen size. I say "only" because it is clearly not in the same league as the HLD-X0 and HLD-X9, but is still (IMO) one of the best LD players ever made (nipping on the heels of the CLD-99 and CLD-79)...

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I was only talking about the trailers- the trailers on the DVDs are FAR superior to the LDs (if I recall correctly, the trailers on the LDs are pan and scan and look like they came from VHS tape - the sound is also pretty bad), while the trailers on the DVDs are widescreen and look to be actually film-sourced.

Jerome

Second Unit

the trailers on the DVDs are cropped at the top and the bottom. lucasfilm only use full screen trailers and crop them to have 16X9 trailers.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
From what I have read and seen screenshots of, the new DVD of Future Kill is not that good and the Japanese LD is maybe still the best version:

DVD:

LD:

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Three Stooges box set
Quicksand (Sutherland)
Touch Of Evil (original cut)
Insatiable
The Incident
Call It Home
Dominoes
The Satan Bug

Real Name
Mark B-E

Hello Andy,

I am a stranger to you and have just Joined this forum.

I live in the UK and am a serious Laserdisc collector.
Have been collecting Laserdisc's ever since April of 1998 and am still purchasing them from a seller in Japan.

I must admit that i prefere the quality of Packaging from Japan and the transfer can be better also.

I could go on but will end this message and say that i am looking forward to hearing from others about Laserdisc and all things AV.

I also enjoy DVD's and am looking forward to the HD formats but Laserdisc is my favourite format (its the handling of the disc's and the sound of the players.)

Kindest regards

Mark

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
:)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
well, a year ago I put 250-odd discs and a Pioneer cld 79 player on Craigslist
and within a day a guy came and bought the whole shibang-I was worried that I would never be able to sell them.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Something I don't think was mentioned: TWO GIRLS AND A GUY is only available on LD and VHS in its original NC-17 cut.

Also, the BOOGIE NIGHTS Criterion disc has a shortened version of EXHAUSTED, the Julia St. Vincent documentary on John Holmes that was lifted almost shot-for-shot by P.T. Anderson and used as Amber's documentary on Dirk in BOOGIE NIGHTS. EXHAUSTED has a fantastic commentary track by Anderson which is not available anywhere else.

As a sidenote, anyone who's a fan of BOOGIE NIGHTS should really check out EXHAUSTED. The full-length version is available on DVD. It's really interesting.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

When you say "Craig's list" can you be more specific? I just searched this thread, and would love to go to "Craig's list" myself.

Thanks

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
If you can find this import on eBay or through any other searches, the Japanese LD of "Superman IV" issued by Tohokushinsha Home Video is a must-keep. Prior to the 2001 U.S. DVD release, this was the first widescreen release of the film, and it's the only LD source for the 93-minute European theatrical cut of the film issued by Cannon Films. It's also the only source of the completed versions of the two added scenes (Superman averting the tornado in Smallville and saving Red Square from nuclear disaster) within the context of the film, whereas on the 2006 Deluxe Edition DVD we have workprint versions of those two scenes.

In addition, hold onto the two-disc CAV release of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" Work-in-Progress Version. It's the only version of the film to be featured in a combined hybrid format that utilizes rough sketches, pencil animation, and final animation all in one form. And Side 4 also contains some extra material (trailers and other features, if I remember correctly) that didn't make the Platinum Edition DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks