What's new

any laserdisc titles still worth owning? (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Naked lady?! The Rescuers is really the only Disney movie I liked as a kid, but somehow I missed that. :P

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Not true. The first widescreen laserdisc (spine# 14793 AS) had the naked lady shots. It was recalled before its street date, so there's very few of them out there. The recalled disc was replaced two months later with a new pressing (spine# 17105 AS) which had no offending naked lady bits.

-Lyle J.P.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

I have, for some reason, three copies of this recalled title. 14793 AS is in CLV so your player must have a digital memory to be able to view "the naked lady". She goes by pretty fast; so fast, I've always wondered how anyone found her in the first place; you can't see her in normal viewing.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

It's CLV and only the newer players can freeze frame it. It's only 2 frames but with CLV, sometimes you only get one frame, depending where you stop it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
A new friend over in the USA sent me a few laserdiscs titles like

Blade Runner 1982-1991
Star Wars 1977-1993-1995
The Empire Strikes Back 1980-1993-1995
Return of the Jedi 1983-1993-1995
Highlander 1985-1993
Dracula 1992-1993
Unforgiven 1992-1993
Jumanji 1995-1996
Terminator 2: Judgement Day 1991-1991
Alien 1979-1992 P&S

To addition to some that I already have, well kind of, the Star Wars 1995 THX laserdisc editions look fantastic, but there not the originals versions, otherwise the soundtrack would be the “same” has the originals, I thought he was sending the early editions over, didn’t know they where going to be the later THX laserdisc re-issues/

Still Blade Runner was a highlight in the CAV format, the colours where very bright, and captured nicely on this later edition, the neon lighting looks very cool. Thou I wouldn’t mind the “1982” version, I just liked the way the film ended thou some may disagree, it was the soft saxophone playing over nice backdrop over the valley of hills and then fades into the chest pounding Vangelis score!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS: The LD has as a bonus on side 3 which is not included on the DVD: The alternate USA animated pre credits sequence (letterboxed, and in full color.) Also the LD had a short (B&W) featurette on Sharon Tate.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Don't foget Criterion's terrific editions of Polanski's Repulsion and Gilliam's The Fisher King. Well-worth every single penny just for the commentaries.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
forrest gump

the pcm track has a great surround mix, while the ac3 (dvd and ld) has just a few snipets here and there.

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
I own a couple LD-only music videos. One is a 60's pop collection called Deja View that was originally a TV special. Sadly, it already showed signs of rot when I bought it used and seems to be deteriorating further. I should transfer it to DVD while I still can.

The other is an MGM/UA 2D set called The Busby Berkeley Disc. It contains 23 production numbers from the director's early musicals. I would have said this material was unavailable on DVD, but I see that Amazon is offering a Busby Berkeley Collection Bonus Disc that includes 21 musical numbers. I assume these are mostly the same.

One thing that I really miss since the demise of laserdisc is the larger format packaging. Not only did it provide for higher resolution cover art, but special collections like My Fair Lady had artbooks and other full-sized collectables.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
My favorite LD is my copy of the Criterion version of The Game. Love that move.

I've always wanted to get the Star Wars deinitive collection. Just to have the original trailers for the first 3 movies would just be cool. This was the only release that had the trailer for "Revenge of the Jedi" prior to it being changed to "Return".

Any of the DTS LDs are semi collectable due to their legendary sound quality. Back in the day those discs were pretty expensive (~$60-70) probably since DTS made and sold them directly.

Disney made some incredible collector's edition LD sets.

Call me crazy but plain-old dolby pro-logic running from a good Laserdisc sounds pretty damn good even today.

J

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
The current DVDs contain all of the trailers, and then some, and the source material is far superior to what was used on the LDs.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I don't think anyone mentioned It Came From Hollywood. Paramount designed new cover art for it but pulled the disc (you can still view it at Amazon.com). Clip licensing was going to be a nightmare.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I would also suggest "Space Jam", for the AC-3 soundtrack. I finally got around to getting the 2-disc special edition, and when I started watching it, I found the Dolby Digital sountrack to be drab, LFE-lite, and lifeless. Just to make sure I wasn't losing my hearing, I put in the LD, turned on the demodulator, and what I got was much, much better. My LFE was back, as was the sense of presence and expansion missing from the DVD. Now the conundrum: The DVD has a better picture, but the DVD sound is not even in the same league as the LD. Guess I will just have to wait for the HD version with Dolby TrueHD......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks